Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

6 Houston area cyclists injured by pranking truck driver

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

6 Houston area cyclists injured by pranking truck driver

Old 10-06-21, 11:46 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by denaffen
It IS a nice post, but "And before some of you inevitably criticize me for being “pro-cyclist”..." raised an eyebrow. Is that such a bad thing that he needs to preemptively distance himself?
The judge knows very well that he's going to get a lot of pushback on FB. And that's putting it very mildly.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 10-06-21, 12:33 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Meanwhile, we have a school shooting up in DFW. I ask in all sincerity, which one is worse? Kids making bad decisions without thinking. Mods, you can delete if you feel the need.

The shooting suspect will be charged with 3 counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. What about the driver in the Houston incident?

Last edited by seypat; 10-06-21 at 12:45 PM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 10-06-21, 02:02 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by denaffen
It IS a nice post, but "And before some of you inevitably criticize me for being “pro-cyclist”..." raised an eyebrow. Is that such a bad thing that he needs to preemptively distance himself?

If you're a judge, being considered "pro" anyone is not considered a good look. They're supposed to be impartial.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-06-21, 02:04 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by seypat
I ask in all sincerity, which one is worse?
Both.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-06-21, 02:22 PM
TX_master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
If you're a judge, being considered "pro" anyone is not considered a good look. They're supposed to be impartial.
That's my interpretation. To be considered "Pro-cyclist" it could suggest he's "Anti" something else (drivers maybe?).
Likes For TX_master:
Old 10-06-21, 05:38 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,214 Posts
I've known a few judges and the more rounded they are the better. That he understands the challenges of both sides makes his decisions that much more credible. Is the antonym of pro-cyclist cycling ignorant?
Old 10-06-21, 06:41 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Not a Southerner, but I used to do a lot of machinery installations all around the south. The following from the Texas Association of Counties (https://www.county.org/) describes the form of government for a lot of counties in the south in general and Texas in particular:

Commissioners Court
The commissioners court conducts the general business of the county and consists of the county judge and four commissioners.

The court:

Adopts the county’s budget and tax rate
Approves all budgeted purchases of the county
Fills vacancies in elective and appointive offices
Sets all salaries and benefits
Has exclusive authority to authorize contracts
Provides and maintains all county buildings and facilities
For more complete information about the responsibilities of a county commissioner and other county officials, see the “2018 Guide to Texas Laws for County Officials."

Please note: Some duties performed by officials may vary within individual counties.
And for County Judge

What is a County Judge?
Depending on the size of the county, the county judge has a wide range of judicial and administrative duties and is the presiding officer of the commissioners court.

What Does a County Judge Do in Texas?
Presiding officer of the commissioners court
Represents the county in many administrative functions
Serves as budget officer in counties with fewer than 225,000 residents
Most have broad judicial duties, such as presiding over misdemeanor criminal and small civil cases, probate matters and appeals from the Justice of the Peace Court
Serves as head of emergency management
For more complete information about the responsibilities of a county judge and other county officials see the “2018 Guide to Texas Laws for County Officials."
I believe the Judge is usually a non-partisan position, but they are much more of a politician than a jurist.
Old 10-06-21, 07:52 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Is the antonym of pro-cyclist cycling ignorant?
Bad Driver, Apologist for Bad Driving, or a Criminal IAW A&S victimhood dogma.
Old 10-07-21, 05:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Not a Southerner, but I used to do a lot of machinery installations all around the south. The following from the Texas Association of Counties (https://www.county.org/) describes the form of government for a lot of counties in the south in general and Texas in particular:

And for County Judge

I believe the Judge is usually a non-partisan position, but they are much more of a politician than a jurist.
Texas has perhaps the most openly partisan judges in the US. The elections are explicitly partisan, with party primaries and labels.
Old 10-10-21, 01:13 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Sorry if this has already been posted....

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/take...tID=3151423949
Likes For tungsten:
Old 10-10-21, 01:16 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts

oops
Old 10-11-21, 01:41 AM
Bizman

Bikes: 2014 Carbon Quest XS (Velomobile), 2014 Catrike Road (Trike), 2013 Easy Motion Max 700+ PCS (E-bike), 2011 Lynskey R340 (Road), 2011 Surly Moonlander (Fatty), 2010 Santa Cruise Tallboy (Full Suspension)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tungsten

oops
Signed!
Old 10-11-21, 10:52 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
It was just on the news and a judge said the case was handled completely wrong. The truck was owned by someone that had some clout with the county or town. Now maybe something will happen. I hope it is anyway. If they know that, why can’t they go to the house and arrest the kid and his father right now?
That was the DA that said that. Anyhow still good news.

Last edited by George; 10-11-21 at 11:12 AM. Reason: More information
Old 10-11-21, 12:15 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by George
It was just on the news and a judge said the case was handled completely wrong. The truck was owned by someone that had some clout with the county or town. Now maybe something will happen. I hope it is anyway. If they know that, why can’t they go to the house and arrest the kid and his father right now?
Do you have a more specific reference than "on the news"?
Old 10-11-21, 12:24 PM
George

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Houston channel 13 news
Old 10-11-21, 01:14 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Houston channel 13 news
Thanks for the clue but I could nothing on their website more recent than the Sept 26 initial report about the incident
Old 10-11-21, 01:57 PM
George

I couldn't find it either, maybe it will be posted later.
Old 10-11-21, 03:09 PM
George

Just looked again and they haven’t posted it yet.
Old 10-11-21, 04:18 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 128 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/WallerCountyDAEltonMathis

It has been 16 days now since six innocent bicyclists were run over by a motorist in Waller County. This office tried to refrain from passing any judgment until we could gather information about what happened at the scene. As previously stated, we did not get professionally or formally notified of the occurrence at the time of the event, but found out via social media. Now, we are able to share a small part of our opinions as the case investigation progresses and questions continue to arise as to how the D.A.’s office will proceed.
1) This case was not handled appropriately by the investigating agency. PERIOD. Despite being encouraged by the Texas Department of Public Safety to treat the scene as a crime scene and to contact the D.A.‘s Office for advice on how to proceed, the investigating agency chose not to do so. The actions of the Texas Department of Public Safety on scene were professional and we are thankful they were there to assist. We are also working with the Waller County Sheriff’s Office to gather the evidence they are able to provide as they arrived on scene to backup Waller P.D. Sheriff Guidry has been most helpful in this regard.
2) There has been some online and community speculation that the incident was handled in the manner it was because of connections between the motorist and Waller city officials. At this point we can confirm there are some connections, but have yet to see evidence of a city official directing the officer on the scene as to how to handle this particular situation. We will continue to look for any such criminal interference as the investigation proceeds.
3) Attorneys for the victims have been more than helpful in assisting this office with seeking justice. Our lines of communication are open and the victims questions are being answered as they arise even though we know they would prefer a faster decision-making process.
4). All sides of this matter (the juvenile, the adult passenger, their families, the victims and their friends/families) can be assured that this case is not being swept away as the days pass, and attorneys for both boys are being cooperative at this time. This will not be a lynching and likewise it will not be a case of small county politics making problems just go away.
5) Finally, we ask that all of our community members and bicyclists that come here to continue to be respectful of one another, share the roads and abide by the laws. This is not the time for finger pointing at groups or making assumptions about people based on their choices in sports or residency. The world is already filled with too much hate and we can do our part as a community (that includes its cyclists and farmers alike) to ensure that justice is done in the courtroom and not on the side of the road. The world is watching all of us. Let’s be the example that it needs to see.
Thanks to all of you for your continued patience.
Waller County District Attorney Elton R. Mathis
Old 10-11-21, 04:27 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 774 Posts
See Post #39
Old 10-11-21, 04:36 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Thanks for the update from the DA's office. It clearly does not indicate what George thought he heard "on the news."
All of it, especially Item number 5 should be read several times by the posters of the lynch mob and sanctimonious PC bias mentality.
Old 10-14-21, 02:31 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Thanks for the update from the DA's office. It clearly does not indicate what George thought he heard "on the news."
All of it, especially Item number 5 should be read several times by the posters of the lynch mob and sanctimonious PC bias mentality.

Really? Because 1 and 2 are pretty closely paraphrased by George. As usual, you're off-base.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-15-21, 09:48 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 128 Posts
The Waller PD chief of police released a statement yesterday, though I don't think it really does him or his department many favors.

Facebook Post " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
Facebook Post " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post

My name is Bill Llewellyn, and I am the Chief of Police at the Waller Police Department. I am proud to be the chief in Waller and I am immensely proud of the officers that work for me. My department has recently been receiving an abundance of criticism regarding an incident that occurred on September 25th, 2021. The incident involved a crash that involved several cyclists and a pick-up truck on Business Hwy 290, just outside the city limits of Waller. This incident is currently an active case, so I will not be commenting on specifics pertinent to criminal charges or elements of a crime. I would however, like to clarify some misperceptions that have been presented on social media recently.

It has been stated that our agency mishandled the initial investigation of the crash scene. That is true. A large part of being professional, is being accountable. The scene was not managed in a manner that is acceptable to me, however; none of the deficiencies that have been identified were due to poor policy or procedure within the department, nor were they influenced by who was involved in the crash or any other personal associations. To put it quite simply, they were due to a lack of knowledge on our part and those shortcomings are being dealt with internally and will not be repeated.

Another complaint has been that I have not responded to the numerous complaints that have been posted on social media. My reason for that has been that almost all of the complaints have been from individuals that live in another state and have absolutely no involvement in the incident, nor are they citizens of Waller. Most of the comments have been offensive, demeaning or threatening and I have no desire to become involved in an exchange with people that possess that mentality. However, recently comments have been made by the head of a local office and portions of his statements are misleading or incorrect and I will take this opportunity to present factual information.

DPS Trooper Nancy Mata responded to the scene of the accident and her assistance was greatly appreciated. Her knowledge and efforts at the scene were instrumental in ensuring that the required information was obtained and documented for use in any future proceedings. Her conduct was just another example of how well the area law enforcement agencies work together to support one another and prioritize public service to the citizens of Waller County.

A Waller police supervisor that arrived on scene did attempt to contact the Waller County District Attorney’s office on call Assistant District Attorney. Upon receiving no answer, he then attempted to contact the next individual on the contact list but received no answer at that number either. Admittedly, the sergeant failed to leave a message, but contact was attempted. My sergeant was counseled regarding failing to leave a message, but I would also suggest that if the office head wishes to decrease his frustration, he should recommend to his employees that they answer their phone when “on call.”

The Texas Transportation Code requires that all crash reports be submitted within 10 days of occurrence. The referenced crash report was submitted on the 27th of September, two days after the crash.
The initial offense report was completed on the 28th of September.

The Waller investigator began coordinating our efforts with the Waller County D.A.’s office on the 28th of September. This included contact with the D.A.’s investigator, as well as ADA Diepraam.
At this time, the Waller P.D. investigator continues to coordinate with he D.A.’s office to ensure that we are doing everything required to achieve a successful prosecution if necessary.

All paperwork, recordings, statements, and other information generated by the Waller Police Department is in the possession of the District Attorney’s Office. I would like to state that the ADA’s and investigators from the D.A.’s office have been extremely helpful and affable.
The only other subjects to which I wish to respond include comments regarding the officer’s indifference to the cyclist and rumors of influence by city officials.

Many of the comments posted on social media accuse police officers, in general, of not being concerned with the welfare of the cyclists. Please remember that these men and women have dedicated their entire work lives to protect the safety and welfare of the citizens that they serve. Because officers use a sense of humor as a protective measure and because they have to prioritize their mission over sentiment, they are often accused of being insensitive. Nothing could be further from the truth and most officers feel a sense of failure when a citizen is injured or victimized within their area of responsibility.

The other comment that is mentioned involves “criminal interference.” Waller is a small town that anticipates a great deal of growth in the very near future. With that in mind, the city officials have been planning for that growth at every opportunity. This includes infrastructure and other physical improvements, as well as philosophical changes. I am not from the Houston area and when I interviewed for the position of Police Chief two years ago, I made it very clear that I have no “good ole boy” traits and that I believe in treating everyone fairly and equitably. The Waller City Counsel not only supports that philosophy, they demand that philosophy and have always encouraged me to handle all situations professionally, without regard to who is involved.

I will state unequivocally that I have never met any of the parties involved in the crash incident and I have not received any influence from any member of city administration regarding this incident.

Waller Police Department will continue to strive to provide the very best police services that we can to our citizens. We benefit from very strong community support, and I do not wish to see that support effected by misinformation. We are a small agency but are making every effort to develop expertise within our department. This endeavor takes time and opportunity, and we will inevitably make mistakes along the way, but we will attempt to learn from each mistake and the end result will be a stronger and more responsive police department.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 10-15-21, 10:41 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18348 Post(s)
Liked 4,498 Times in 3,344 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
The Waller PD chief of police released a statement yesterday, though I don't think it really does him or his department many favors.

https://www.facebook.com/wallerpd/posts/173103091666907

It has been stated that our agency mishandled the initial investigation of the crash scene. That is true. A large part of being professional, is being accountable. The scene was not managed in a manner that is acceptable to me, however; none of the deficiencies that have been identified were due to poor policy or procedure within the department, nor were they influenced by who was involved in the crash or any other personal associations. To put it quite simply, they were due to a lack of knowledge on our part and those shortcomings are being dealt with internally and will not be repeated.
A Waller police supervisor that arrived on scene did attempt to contact the Waller County District Attorney’s office on call Assistant District Attorney. Upon receiving no answer, he then attempted to contact the next individual on the contact list but received no answer at that number either. Admittedly, the sergeant failed to leave a message, but contact was attempted. My sergeant was counseled regarding failing to leave a message, but I would also suggest that if the office head wishes to decrease his frustration, he should recommend to his employees that they answer their phone when “on call.”
Thanks for the update.

I think they'll have to dig deeper on the "mishandling".

Waller County has a population of greater than 55,000. This shouldn't have been treated any differently than any other serious injury traffic accident (including drug and alcohol tests for all involved). What makes this accident unique is the apparent bullying related to the incident. Yet, even that kind of an event shouldn't be unique. Road rage, domestics, school bullies leading to serious injuries, even aspects similar to school shootings that are rocking the country.

As far as answering the ^&*&^*###((!!! phone? Leaving a voicemail is appropriate. But, the office should have also been designed so that a secretary would intercept calls. Perhaps configure it so it rings the primary party first (if available), then gets forwarded to a secretary, and perhaps an answering service after the secretary (giving them more situational awareness than many who are simply glorified answering machines).

They apparently have a policy of recognizing certain serious situations and passing the information up the chain including calling a sergeant to the scene. This can't be the first time the DA didn't answer the phone on the first ring.

I realize the US policy of protecting minors that commit minor offenses. However, there seems to be too much (kitten)footing around on this case. I'm not sure any kid that commits a felony, or felony assault should be given the same privilege of anonymity. And there seems to be some unnamed connection of the family to the government. Critical business, or political connections? The parents wouldn't enjoy the same anonymity as the child, and allegations of influence pedaling are serious. Identify the parents, and the kid would be obvious (although some undoubtedly already recognize the vehicle, and any photos posted).
Old 10-15-21, 11:11 AM
chancelucky

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Reading the statements, I suspect the DA and the Police Chief aren't exactly coordinating their responses: there's some tension between what are normally sister agencies. I suspect the city attorney, if there is one, can't be too happy about this.
If and when the victims become plaintiffs, the statements have opened some holes for liability for the city. I suspect no lawyer reviewed the police chief's post before he put it up. When you put out a statement that long, you're just creating targets for
possible law suit or prosecution. It should have been something like, "We wish the victims speedy recoveries. In the meantime our internal investigation of all aspects of the incident and this department's handling of the incident is ongoing and this department is fully cooperating with other investigating agencies. "

Last edited by chancelucky; 10-15-21 at 11:55 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.