Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Pacific Atlantic Bike Race

Old 10-22-21, 07:28 AM
Bent4life 

Bikes: Bachetta Ti Aero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Pacific Atlantic Bike Race

Shortest distance across the country at 3100 miles. Race date is 5/1/22. Could be a bit warm for this one. Same format as Trans Am. Bike packing self supported race.

www.pacificatlanticbikerace.com

Last edited by Bent4life; 10-22-21 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-30-21, 05:13 PM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Almost all bikepacking or self-supported races are free to enter with no prizes or awards. What is the $295 fee for?
Likes For niknak:
Old 10-31-21, 12:19 AM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by niknak
Almost all bikepacking or self-supported races are free to enter with no prizes or awards. What is the $295 fee for?
Some of the more historic bikepacking races are free because they are basically self-organized as well as self-supported. More recent racers have an official organizer and overhead costs that need to be covered. Have a look around the events listed in the calendar on my Ride Far website.
Old 10-31-21, 12:56 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by niknak
This is $5 less than the Trans Am Bike Race, and a fair amount less than the Transcontinental Race. I have to imagine that for any race that's not an alleycat, the organizer faces considerable liability, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that went into insurance. On the TABR, the organizer does take time out to follow and document at least part of the race, with a photographer, so some of it is probably covering their expenses. No idea if that is true here.

This is following the Southern Tier route. I seem to recall there was another proposed race on the same route.

Last edited by adamrice; 10-31-21 at 01:00 PM.
Likes For adamrice:
Old 10-31-21, 01:33 PM
BikeLite

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
"The entrance fee will be $295. This includes a GPS route, tracking by Trackleaders"

The Race Rules page is empty..lol...its a free for all!!!!! The website is sloppy. The race director is Ken Jessett, maybe born European since uses "whilst" in his writing.
https://www.pacificatlanticbikerace.com/race-rules

"You will cross America on navigable paved roads from the Pacific to the Atlantic using the southern tier route designed by Adventure Cycling and you will see it and experience it all from the seat on your bike."

Last edited by BikeLite; 10-31-21 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-01-21, 07:38 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Got to get your priorities straight. Anyone heard of the promoter before?
Old 11-01-21, 07:45 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Fees often/usually include a SPOT tracker for a month on such races. One would assume the ACA GPS route had a fee to be paid by the organizers. I know the TABR guy was out on course, I think I saw him around the Ohio River. On shorter races like RATN, Michael has people check out the course in advance, which is not free. Plus, you get the cool cap.
Old 11-01-21, 02:36 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

If $300 is too much to cross the country, don't look at what it costs to enter a triathlon

Or RAAM for that matter
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 11-02-21, 05:38 AM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
If $300 is too much to cross the country, don't look at what it costs to enter a triathlon

Or RAAM for that matter
Who said it was too much? The question was what is the $295 fee for?
Old 11-02-21, 06:20 AM
Bent4life 

Bikes: Bachetta Ti Aero

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Link to race

Originally Posted by BikeLite
"The entrance fee will be $295. This includes a GPS route, tracking by Trackleaders"

The Race Rules page is empty..lol...its a free for all!!!!! The website is sloppy. The race director is Ken Jessett, maybe born European since uses "whilst" in his writing.
https://www.pacificatlanticbikerace.com/race-rules

"You will cross America on navigable paved roads from the Pacific to the Atlantic using the southern tier route designed by Adventure Cycling and you will see it and experience it all from the seat on your bike."
The link in my initial post will get you there
Old 11-02-21, 07:06 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
Who said it was too much? The question was what is the $295 fee for?
In addition to what I wrote, I think there is a fee to trackleaders...??

I also think the Promoters got smart and now buy liability insurance, too.

Nathan Jones did or does follow more or less the leaders and takes photos. I also know that on RATN photos are taken in large amounts. One presumes some of the entry fee supports those taking photos.

I usually think what does a person get for $250 entry to a 50 mile grand fondue event, other than 5 bucks per mile. LOL
Old 11-02-21, 12:07 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I wonder how hard it is to get liability insurance, considering how hard it was for RUSA. There was a fatality on a long distance race across Florida (I think) this year. The bike law guy was bragging about how he got a settlement from a ride promoter that didn't have an ironclad enough waiver. And was saying how having a bike ride at night was unscrupulously dangerous. I was going to ask him what he thought of my waiver. "if you go on this ride, you're going to die. By signing this waver you admit it will be your fault"
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 11-02-21, 01:15 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

I can't speak to bike races per se, but I am involved in organizing a different kind of event, and liability insurance is a huge PITA, and is expensive. And we have rigorously worded waivers.

One thing that a race like this has to contend with is that an injury could happen in any of a number of states, so jurisdiction becomes a problem. Looking at the TABR waiver, it doesn't have any language to the effect of "any disputes arising from this agreement will be adjudicated in XX county of YY state." Which seems like an oversight, now that I think about it.
Old 11-09-21, 08:06 PM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Seems easier (in the US at least) to organize a free event in which the participants are just going for a ride and happen to be riding with others. It's not technically an event. All riders have responsibility only for themselves. This seems to work for the Tour Divide and other off-road oriented bikepacking races. I raced one this summer. Paid ~$30 for Trackleaders to track me. I already have a Spot device. No need for prizes or "free t-shirts" or other swag. Just show up and ride.
Old 11-09-21, 09:47 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I didn't realize Tour Divide was run that way. Crush the Commonwealth is also just a website. It wasn't being kept up for a couple of years, but people were still doing the ride.
Old 11-10-21, 11:13 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

I didn't realize Tour Divide was run that way either. But yeah, it does make sense.

IndyPac has been run this way since Mike Hall's death—the organizers of the previous event dissolved it and disclaim any responsibility for what the event has become.