Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Pre Loved Bike Fridays

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Pre Loved Bike Fridays

Old 06-30-21, 01:58 PM
Pahana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Pre Loved Bike Fridays

If anyone is interested I just went to the pre loved Bike Friday page and found many new bikes there. Looks like the folding bike rage of the Pandemic is coming to an end. I would guess that all these bikes are from people who backed out of their orders because of the long wait. I could be wrong but Al from Portapedal told me that he was not taking orders on Moultons because people were backing out because of the long wait. Again I may be wrong about this so don't beat me up about this but there's plenty of new Bike Fridays for someone looking for one.
Old 06-30-21, 02:15 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I'm not sure that's entirely the case. At one point BF talked about having some units prebuilt for fast order so maybe that's where they are heading. And some of those are used bikes, they aren't all new. In any case, 3 week delivery is better than 3 months when summer is upon us already. If I needed another BF I'd grab one.
Old 06-30-21, 02:17 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Interesting.
I saw they had several Pakit bikes listed for $1395. Going to the bike configuration page and adding the 8-speed chain drive, one comes up with $1395.

Perhaps they're doing a stock and design change... 9 speed to 8 speed?

The big advantage would be not getting wait-listed.

One can often find a few Bike Fridays on the local Craigslist.

Prices are a little higher than I would expect, especially here in Eugene.
Old 06-30-21, 06:19 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Interesting.
I saw they had several Pakit bikes listed for $1395. Going to the bike configuration page and adding the 8-speed chain drive, one comes up with $1395.

Perhaps they're doing a stock and design change... 9 speed to 8 speed?

The big advantage would be not getting wait-listed.

One can often find a few Bike Fridays on the local Craigslist.

Prices are a little higher than I would expect, especially here in Eugene.
That's why I think they are using the pre-loved page to sell specific "ready" rather than "order" models. I do think that could make a huge difference, having perhaps 3 or 4 different models in most common size and configuration ready for purchase within a couple weeks rather than months. I'm sure there are some folks who are not that specific about their needs who would be fine with having a choice of frame size and the rest being sold like a regular non-configurable bike.
Old 06-30-21, 06:52 PM
CliffordK

There was a thread a couple of years ago when the company was "Looking for an investor".

https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...e-company.html

It sounded to me that they were having seasonal workflow issues. My thoughts at the time was that they needed to use their off-season to work on cutting their lead time during the spring and early summer.

I would have done it so one might have mainframes, rear triangles, and forks ready to have seat masts added, then get powder coated and final assembly. A pile of pre-made wheels.

As a potential buyer, if what I wanted was already ready to buy, I'd get it that way.

However, I'd likely choose some of the super-light options and upgraded components which might steer me towards custom.
Old 06-30-21, 09:54 PM
linberl

And I'm sure custom will remain a huge part of their business. I definitely specced out every little thing on my bike, much of which they didn't even have listed and had to source, lol. But there are plenty of people who are so into the components as long as they are good, and want a bike for instant gratification. Maybe they're just testing it out with selected models based on what has sold in the past. The custom aspect is what makes BF unique, and I hope they always retain that, but buying a complete bike is what most people are used to. And - for folks planning trips this year after the pandemic - there isn't time to get a custom bike made so these might do really well for them.
Old 07-01-21, 07:10 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
And - for folks planning trips this year after the pandemic - there isn't time to get a custom bike made so these might do really well for them.
To a lesser extent can always buy one "off the rack" and mod-to-suit. (in fact many of us have done so with built-to-spec bikes, I have)

To the OP....Bike Friday's drop down as shown on my browser says "Pre-loved/Stock" bikes.

Last edited by FolderBeholder; 07-01-21 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-02-21, 09:32 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by FolderBeholder
To a lesser extent can always buy one "off the rack" and mod-to-suit. (in fact many of us have done so with built-to-spec bikes, I have)

To the OP....Bike Friday's drop down as shown on my browser says "Pre-loved/Stock" bikes.
Ahh....so it is a shift to "stock" models. Good for them, smart move I think.
Likes For linberl:
Old 07-02-21, 11:05 AM
CliffordK

Looking at the "New" page,
https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-b...category/stock

It doesn't look like they have a good cross section of bike models.

I didn't realize they were putting drop bars (with either brifters or bar ends) on the NWT.

They have 4 Pakit models, all 55cm, and I believe all with the same gearing. Slight color variations, but all in dark paint too.

Their one Pocket Rocket falls under "preloved/used", and may well be 20 years old.

There isn't a haul-a-day on the page, and their only tandem is a rather odd handcycle.

This appears to me as if they are just putting excess stock and cancelled orders up on the preloved page without a real plan to cover a cross section of desirable models. There is a small showroom here in Eugene, and I would imagine they occasionally rotate out showroom stock. I don't know if showroom bikes are actually for sale.
Old 07-02-21, 11:10 AM
CliffordK

I did run into an interesting thing a few years ago. I found a decent deal on a used Bike Friday on Craigslist.

It turns out that I bought a bike from Hanna Scholz (of Bike Friday). It had a bit of a unique design crossing different models.

But, she said that "staff bikes" don't go onto preloved... they get sold locally. All the preloved bikes are trade-ins of one sort or another.
Old 07-02-21, 11:27 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Looking at the "New" page,
https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-b...category/stock

It doesn't look like they have a good cross section of bike models.

I didn't realize they were putting drop bars (with either brifters or bar ends) on the NWT.

They have 4 Pakit models, all 55cm, and I believe all with the same gearing. Slight color variations, but all in dark paint too.

Their one Pocket Rocket falls under "preloved/used", and may well be 20 years old.

There isn't a haul-a-day on the page, and their only tandem is a rather odd handcycle.

This appears to me as if they are just putting excess stock and cancelled orders up on the preloved page without a real plan to cover a cross section of desirable models. There is a small showroom here in Eugene, and I would imagine they occasionally rotate out showroom stock. I don't know if showroom bikes are actually for sale.
I wouldn't expect a real cross section of models. Medium pakiTs make sense - with stem changes they fit a majority of people. But we will have to see how this plays out. This is an unusual year due to the pandemic, so future results could vary.
Old 07-03-21, 08:48 AM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
I think so too….helps streamline/implement sales to those less willing to wait, or somewhat less particular about color, componentry etc. VS. having those potential clients go away and buy elsewhere for a lengthy wait.

Smart IMO.
Likes For FolderBeholder: