Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Praxis BB30 Conversion torque?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-22, 09:02 AM
hayden52

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 22 Posts

My wife's Specialized Ruby was making clicking sounds from the BB, so I removed the cranks and the right hand BB cup was loose (I could unscrew it by hand). This is a Praxis BB30 conversion, where the left hand side BB cup, together with the metal sleeve, is pressed into the frame. Then, the right hand cup is screwed into the sleeve on the other side. Not having the proper BB tool, I took it too my LBS and asked them to screw it in to the the proper torque. Well, according to the mechanic, the proper torque is "as hard as I can tighten it", so this is what he did. Skeptical, I looked it up, and apparently he is correct. According to this, one tightens the right hand cup "until it stops", whatever that means. I've seen some numbers thrown out for BB cup torque like 40-50 Nm or so. For now, it seems to be OK, but I suspect it will loosen itself again in the future, so I will have to tighten it again as hard as I can. I would be nice to have a torque specification, however. Does anyone have experience with this BB?

Thanks.
Old 03-29-22, 10:26 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Yep, a bunch of grease and tighten the **** out of it.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 03-29-22, 12:41 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
grease or anti seize on the threads and the Factory number for BB is 40 nm. But yeah they have issues becoming lose overtime. So I have been going mores so to 50 nm and have had better results. My Argon 18 has their carbon crankset and when I put that in the bb got 55 nm and the cranks got the same. No issues so far.
Old 03-29-22, 06:01 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I installed one a couple of years ago, so my memory is a little vague. But I do recall what was written above - there is a "hard stop" when you tighten that side. Not a torque number, but tighten it until it stops. Mine has been silent and tight since.