Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm Not Training; I'm Exercising

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I'm Not Training; I'm Exercising

Old 07-26-22, 10:02 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,827 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
You all can do your own research. Moderate exercise for a limited amount of time is overall good for one's health, excessive HIIT training is really bad for older people. Like all "medicine", what is the right dose? I only ride 15-20 hours per week and do much less than an hour of intensity per week (beyond zone 2), that works for me. What works for others? Start reading and make your own decisions.

"At low to moderate levels of exercise, there is a lower risk of AF.3,4 However, rather than a linear benefit derived from increasing levels of exercise, there appears to be a threshold beyond which increasing exposure is associated with an increased risk of AF.5-12"

https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardio...itive-athletes
Not saying this happens to anyone else, but for a couple of days after and all out max effort over 1.5-2 miles, I experience more bursts of rapid heart beats/fluttering (AFIB?) which reduces over time. However if I ride at a moderate pace (16-18 MPH) with occasional burst of power over climbs or sprints, I don’t have that experience. It makes me think twice about pushing myself to the max for more than a minute. YMMV

Have to agree about the sentiment above about training and exercise. When I did centuries and doubles for best time, I was in training prior. Since I don’t compete other than against myself for PRs and one gentleman in the area with too many PRs for my age group, I consider that exercise punctuated with a few sprints. , I do work a bit harder to wrestle as many away from him as possible. Yeah, I know it is a sickness.

I do enjoy just tooling around pleasure rides too with no goal other than to enjoy myself.

Last edited by rsbob; 07-26-22 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-27-22, 05:22 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 430 Posts
I don't train for intensity, but I get my intensity workouts from cyclocross racing. I can put however hard an effort I'm up for into the race and am allowed to finish. How I place is a good gage of where I'm at fitness-wise.
Old 07-27-22, 10:49 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 2,449 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
It's just semantics to me. Exercise connotes general health, but training connotes a specific goal or event.

I race, so for most of the year I'm on a plan for specific races or a series of races. There are specific targets I'm trying to hit, to cause specific adaptations, and if I follow the plan, I get stronger and faster (or at least I don't get any slower).

So, if I were at a cocktail party and someone came up and asked me what I like to do for exercise, I'd say "I ride my bike." But if I were talking to another rider, I'd say I'm training for a particular race, or cyclocross season, or whatever.
Word.

I was going to post something but the above says it all for me.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-27-22, 12:25 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
What I do is sightseeing/ exercise/ burning off fat and the result is fitness. 15 miles doesn't get me to the highway and back. So unless I'm really pushing the pace in the city, my heartrate just isn't rising much. So far this summer, I've done highway day rides of 72, 90, 92, 96, 100 and 119 miles. This sure does get me stronger and fitter.
Last week the pro triathlon crowd was training and racing here. There is a 1 km park loop used for this. So I was chasing them a bit.LOL.
Also during the races I was riding beside a few hundred yards on a parallel MUP. So that was my HIIT for the year. LOL. I couldn't match their pace at all, the girls were doing 25 mph on the flat. All the guys had disc cover rear wheels, some had Z frames.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 07-27-22 at 12:32 PM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 07-28-22, 11:59 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 430 Posts
related to this convo: I used to get uptight when I could not find time to jog or ride for days on end (due to family and work obligations), but in the last ten years or so, I put myself at ease during the off days by embracing the downtime, and am thankful for the inevitable healing that is going on during those days, especially to the ligaments/tendons/joints. I extend that mind set to a hope that it may just be what keeps me able to continue running and riding late into life, by avoiding injury. I hope I'm right.
Old 07-28-22, 12:09 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
I wonder what caused you to you to post in the first place? How you ride your bike is your business...
As a cycling enthusiast, I was interested in discussing some of my thoughts on the motivation to ride with other cycling enthusiasts. Can you suggest a website or discussion group where that might be appropriate?
Likes For Random11:
Old 07-28-22, 02:55 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'm not going to try to convince anyone to start a structured training program if they don't want to. If you think it would be miserable, don't do it. But I would also point out that not everyone considers training a chore. For me, it's a process in support of a goal, but I have come to find a great deal of motivation and satisfaction in the process itself. I don't have a great deal of control over where I finish in a race--too many factors I can't control-- but I do have a lot more control over whether I complete a workout. For me, happiness is hitting all my wattage targets.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-28-22, 03:32 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
I have ridden bikes for over 70 years now. I have never "trained" for anything. I simply ride bikes or trikes for exercise and fun. Or back when I was young, to get to school.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 07-28-22, 03:53 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 2,449 Times in 1,432 Posts
Closed temporarily for moderation review.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-28-22, 07:55 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,138 Times in 1,442 Posts
Reopening is fine if you like. The thread needs cleanup by deleting several posts though
Old 07-28-22, 08:18 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
I like the concept of "I'm not training, I'm exercising". One can pretend they are some racer wannabe or enjoy the ride. I want to enjoy the ride.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 07-28-22, 10:18 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Some of us race, and some of us enjoy training. It’s not an either/or for every rider.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-28-22, 10:34 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
Most of us go far enough to make a speedometer a useful. LOL. Too bad for the cranks that don't.
Old 07-29-22, 01:20 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 485 Posts
Some of you are talking as though there is merely a dichotomy between training and mellow rides without acknowledging that there is a middle ground of exercising for improved health. Since I am currently not training for anything in particular, I try to straddle the line between mellow enjoyment and exercising for health. This means that I vary my pace and distances and put in some hard efforts every now and then.
Likes For davester:
Old 07-29-22, 07:35 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
I trained for a NON-STOP 112 miles of riding in my IRONMAN Triathlons

I trained for the 103 miles - 11,000+ feet of climbing in the Six Gap rides I did especially since I'm from SW FL where 100 miles has less than 80'

I trained for the 167 mile 1 day Cross Florida Ride to ride the first 100 miles NON - STOP in 5 hours or less.

The above were all in my 60's and the training was done solo with additional riding with the group 2 to 3 times a week for 40+ miles in paceline a 20mph to 30+mph just for FUN.

Thanks to my PCa (Prostate Cancer) and treatment I can no longer train or ride with the group so I ride solo for distances at slower speeds since that's all I can do and I consider myself to be EXERCISING but not getting the full benefits that the TRAINING AND GROUP RIDING provided.

p.s. -- on my Pete Cornell 10 year Memorial 100 mile Ride 3 days ago I was again hit by a wild hog, only this time got T-Boned resulting in a face plant on pavement. The pavement provided the "Road Rash" and the HOG FRACTURED MY TIBIA from its impact. Only made 30.4 miles of the 100 miles so next year I need to ride 100 miles THEN the 69.6 miles to complete this year's ride. That ride will follow my 101 mile 73rd Birthday Ride 16 days earlier on 7/10/2023 providing the PCa does kill me or another HOG ENCOUNTER :0)

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 07-29-22 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-29-22, 12:09 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Train? For what? A Strava post? I fight with this instinct all the time as an ex-college jock. I keep telling myself that eventually I'll free myself from the mindset. OTOH I'm 76.
Old 07-29-22, 12:19 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4312 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Train? For what? A Strava post?
It does bug me that Strava and such try to pretend they're helping me get better or faster or fitter or whatever with every post like they think they're anticipating my objectives. I use Strava to keep track of my rides and follow my friends. My Garmin scale even sends me text messages like "Wow, you're doing great at maintaining your weight - keep up the good work!" ie not accomplishing anything... just silly.

But of course I will train for a big event like a century or a charity ride.
Old 07-29-22, 01:22 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
It does bug me that Strava and such try to pretend they're helping me get better or faster or fitter or whatever with every post like they think they're anticipating my objectives. I use Strava to keep track of my rides and follow my friends. My Garmin scale even sends me text messages like "Wow, you're doing great at maintaining your weight - keep up the good work!" ie not accomplishing anything... just silly.

But of course I will train for a big event like a century or a charity ride.
I just use Strava in ways that benefit me. The rest is blah, blah, blah. It's a tool.
Old 07-29-22, 03:41 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
Every morning I ride 15-20 miles over rolling hills. I rarely miss a day. I enjoy riding, but one motivator is that I think it's good for my health. I get occasional advice (and see it here) on what I can do to get faster and stronger, but I don't feel I need to be faster or stronger to maximize the health benefit of riding. I'm no expert on fitness, but here's my logic. I've heard that people should get at least 30 minutes of exercise a day, and I'm comfortably over that. And I've heard that if you exercise in the morning, it boosts your metabolism for the rest of the day, so I do my rides in the morning. I ride at a pretty good pace, but no power meter, no heart meter, no Strava, just me and the bike. My thought is that while I could do more to train, there would be no real health benefit to doing more. I'm not a fitness expert, but maybe just based on internet rumors, that's the logic behind my riding. Does this make sense? Is there any reason to "train?" I don't want my cycling to turn from a pleasure into a chore.
I ride for exact same reasons as you... Fun, exercise, enjoying outdoors and sceneries and looking at the world around me.
Old 07-29-22, 03:47 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
Is there any reason to "train?"
Structured training is only for people who participate in races and other competitive events...The average recreational cyclists has no need to follow regimented structured training programs.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 07-29-22, 10:45 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
I don't know where you're getting this stuff. Please cite your sources if you are going to make declarative statements about medical outcomes. At least for a-fib, the only studies I can see discussing a-fib in relation to HIIT indicate that outcomes (and overall cardiovascular health) are better with HIIT than with constant pace exercise.

Also, even if one doesn't subscribe to the high intensity aspect of HIIT, pretty much every fitness guide indicates that improved health and fitness comes from varying your effort through various heart rate zones. I don't think there's really any debate about this.
Personally, I ignore the medical studies because all them which I've read contain either implicit or explicit bias in the direction of "more is better." I just look around and have a lot of serious riders to look at. I've been a member of a fairly serious invitation-only recreational riding group for 25 years with over 120 members. Most of them don't show up for rides anymore.

I've talked to many of those who no longer show up and the usual response is, "I'm not fit enough to ride with you folks anymore." At 52, I was one of the older folks when I joined, and one of the least talented. I trained and rode hard enough to get to be the A group leader for a few years and as soon as I wasn't on the front anymore and able to easily run the paceline up and down, I backed off on the intensity volume. Lucky boy.

I've never had an irregular heart beat problem. However some people in the group have had Afib. Some dropped out and others got a ablation which enabled them to continue. So who got Afib? The fastest climbers in the group. Why? They either did more high intensity riding than anyone else or they were k-hounds and they aged out of being able to keep that up without damage. It's rather a time-in-grade issue. And then there was the wonderful person, fastest current climber, who went BC skiing, came home, cooked dinner for his wife, watched a movie, went to bed and had a fatal heart attack with never a symptom That's not good, either. I organized his memorial ride.

The high intensity folks would go out and do long, steep climbs several days a week. The k-hounds had a great pile of distance medals, starting with 10,000 k/year of strictly brevet riding. Brevet organizers publish rider times on the web, so it's not just riding long distances, it's racing to see who can ride a brevet, especially PBP, the fastest, etc. All that takes a toll over the decades. I'm not aware of anything of this nature being investigated in the literature, but it's obvious if one rides with a lot a very fast long distance riders who've been at it a long time.

Yesterday, at 77, I rode RAMROD, 162 miles and 10,000' this year. It was one of the hotter RAMRODs I've ridden, with temps up to 100°. Nobody died, but a rider I tried to help was sagged off the course and had to get IV rehydration at an ER. I had bib #7, the 7th oldest ride to enter. Rider #1 had to be sagged off the course this year, not uncommon.

Basically, my guess is that there's a mathematical model which could be constructed using total time, time at the various intensities, and longest ride length which might give a reasonable result for Afib risk. I don't think total time alone is a risk, because we had a group member who did 20K-30K yearly mileage totals and up to 1.5M feet climbing. He's fine. Percentage of time spent at high intensity X total time looks like a risk factor. Very long rides with a large percentage of time spent above some unknown limit looks like a risk factor.

I think if one did enough HIIT to be able to ride PBP in under say 70 hours, that might just do it, and probably before that target date - or maybe one has to do that for a few years for enough damage to occur. As far as I can tell, no one really knows what's too much of what. There's some chance it might be individual, but I rather doubt that. The Afib-ers I know are a rather diverse lot. They just have that one thing in common, too much total time at high intensity.

BTW, the more total time one spends at high intensity, the faster one gets - for a while. It's quite seductive.
Old 07-29-22, 11:48 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Personally, I ignore the medical studies because all them which I've read contain either implicit or explicit bias in the direction of "more is better." I just look around and have a lot of serious riders to look at. I've been a member of a fairly serious invitation-only recreational riding group for 25 years with over 120 members. Most of them don't show up for rides anymore.

I've talked to many of those who no longer show up and the usual response is, "I'm not fit enough to ride with you folks anymore." At 52, I was one of the older folks when I joined, and one of the least talented. I trained and rode hard enough to get to be the A group leader for a few years and as soon as I wasn't on the front anymore and able to easily run the paceline up and down, I backed off on the intensity volume. Lucky boy.

I've never had an irregular heart beat problem. However some people in the group have had Afib. Some dropped out and others got a ablation which enabled them to continue. So who got Afib? The fastest climbers in the group. Why? They either did more high intensity riding than anyone else or they were k-hounds and they aged out of being able to keep that up without damage. It's rather a time-in-grade issue. And then there was the wonderful person, fastest current climber, who went BC skiing, came home, cooked dinner for his wife, watched a movie, went to bed and had a fatal heart attack with never a symptom That's not good, either. I organized his memorial ride.

The high intensity folks would go out and do long, steep climbs several days a week. The k-hounds had a great pile of distance medals, starting with 10,000 k/year of strictly brevet riding. Brevet organizers publish rider times on the web, so it's not just riding long distances, it's racing to see who can ride a brevet, especially PBP, the fastest, etc. All that takes a toll over the decades. I'm not aware of anything of this nature being investigated in the literature, but it's obvious if one rides with a lot a very fast long distance riders who've been at it a long time.

Yesterday, at 77, I rode RAMROD, 162 miles and 10,000' this year. It was one of the hotter RAMRODs I've ridden, with temps up to 100°. Nobody died, but a rider I tried to help was sagged off the course and had to get IV rehydration at an ER. I had bib #7, the 7th oldest ride to enter. Rider #1 had to be sagged off the course this year, not uncommon.

Basically, my guess is that there's a mathematical model which could be constructed using total time, time at the various intensities, and longest ride length which might give a reasonable result for Afib risk. I don't think total time alone is a risk, because we had a group member who did 20K-30K yearly mileage totals and up to 1.5M feet climbing. He's fine. Percentage of time spent at high intensity X total time looks like a risk factor. Very long rides with a large percentage of time spent above some unknown limit looks like a risk factor.

I think if one did enough HIIT to be able to ride PBP in under say 70 hours, that might just do it, and probably before that target date - or maybe one has to do that for a few years for enough damage to occur. As far as I can tell, no one really knows what's too much of what. There's some chance it might be individual, but I rather doubt that. The Afib-ers I know are a rather diverse lot. They just have that one thing in common, too much total time at high intensity.

BTW, the more total time one spends at high intensity, the faster one gets - for a while. It's quite seductive.
Your friends experience resonates with me.

For those concerned about HIIT and AFIB, they should read Phil Cavell’s, The Mid-Life Cyclist. I do have some moderate AFIB and used to enjoy hammering hills with my heart maxed. After reading the book, it appears that more senior athletes whom push themselves to the max repeatedly tend to more likely suffer from exercise induced AFIB. I have since backed off not wanting to exacerbate the condition.

Old 07-30-22, 12:00 AM
caloso

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Structured training is only for people who participate in races and other competitive events...The average recreational cyclists has no need to follow regimented structured training programs.
There is no requirement that you have to be a racer to engage in structured training. It’s available to any rider who would like to get fitter and faster, benefits from structure, enjoys the data analytics, or who has limited ride time.

Like I have said earlier in the thread, I won’t try to convince anyone to do structured training who thinks it would make them miserable, or if it’s medically unwise for them. But I do push back at the idea that it’s necessarily a chore for every rider, or that you have to be a certain kind of rider to benefit from it.

Last edited by caloso; 07-30-22 at 12:10 AM.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-30-22, 09:42 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4312 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Structured training is for anybody who wants to improve.

Low-intensity exercise might be enjoyable, but pushing yourself is better for health, and being faster and stronger makes riding MORE enjoyable.
Consult your doctor of course.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 07-30-22, 01:04 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Chuck M
I like the concept of "I'm not training, I'm exercising". One can pretend they are some racer wannabe or enjoy the ride. I want to enjoy the ride.
And what is exactly wrong with pretending? If it makes them happy then it makes them happy.

Some days I like to take down fastest times for my age group and on others I enjoy sightseeing and doing some mileage. Both make me happy. Nothing wrong with either if they give me joy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.