Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Aspartame = Leg Swelling

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Aspartame = Leg Swelling

Old 04-04-07, 05:54 PM
Smitty77

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aspartame = Leg Swelling

Let me first start by saying I am 29, had some leg swelling a few years back after a surgery for a while which went away and I am on pills for high cholesterol, blood pressure, weak thyroid and yeah I am a mess. Hoping biking will get me feeling better!

I noticed about 3 weeks ago my legs are selling again and have gotten worse, I work at a computer 13 hours a day and they are usually the worst after I finish my shift. If I pop a water pill on my day off to release some of the water being retained and chill for a day then some of the swelling and pain stops.

I called my Dr who did not seem overly concerned but made an appt for me as soon as one was available (at that time a month away, now a week away)

I have been trying to figure out any changes I could have made since my legs started swelling and I only thing I really have done is switched to diet soda, I have heard all the bad things about aspartame in the past but always figured the bad in it was better than all the sugar.

So I have been searching the net for a while and leg swelling (Water retention) seems to be one of the many horrible things complain about getting from it.

Tomorrow I am going to go my first day without any diet soda (or soda at all) and see if it helps. I might just go straight water if I can and maybe I will see a change??

Just wondering if anyone here has had side effects from this stuff before, after reading the net for a while seems like some nasty stuff though I take everything I read online with a grain of salt
Old 04-04-07, 05:59 PM
Snuffleupagus
Aut Vincere Aut Mori

Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm sure others will chime in, but if you're going to drink diet stuff, sodas sweetened with sucralose (Splenda) are less evil than those with aspartame.
Old 04-04-07, 09:53 PM
ericgu

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think your doctor will have the best advice - better than we do - but there's certainly nothing to be lost by switching to water. It will take a bit of time to get used to - even the diet sodas get you used to sweet tastes.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com
Likes For ericgu:
Old 04-05-07, 09:03 AM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hypothryoidism can contribute to peripheral edema. Do you have hypo or hypertension? You may also want to try soaking in epsom salts. It creates a hypertonic solution that draws the water out of your body. Additionally, try to get up and walk around at least every hour at work. While you are sitting down, prop your feet up.

There are many things that can cause peripheral edema and only your doctor will be able to figure it out after some tests.
Old 04-06-07, 07:36 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Smitty77
I have been trying to figure out any changes I could have made since my legs started swelling and I only thing I really have done is switched to diet soda, I have heard all the bad things about aspartame in the past but always figured the bad in it was better than all the sugar.

So I have been searching the net for a while and leg swelling (Water retention) seems to be one of the many horrible things complain about getting from it.

Tomorrow I am going to go my first day without any diet soda (or soda at all) and see if it helps. I might just go straight water if I can and maybe I will see a change??

Just wondering if anyone here has had side effects from this stuff before, after reading the net for a while seems like some nasty stuff though I take everything I read online with a grain of salt
My physical therapist suggested I cut out artificial sweeteners for just that reason. I can't say that it's helped. Still, water has to be better than soda, diet or otherwise.

Old 04-06-07, 07:44 PM
pityr

Bikes: Trek 1200, Kona Honky Inc, PX Stealth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
doesn't diet soda have alot of sodium? that would cause you to retain water especially if you are sensitive to it.
Old 04-06-07, 08:49 PM
sonyaj87@hotmai
Are you coming or what?

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Aspertame is scary... I just finished a book by a Candace Pert PH.D. Who is a research scientist that did her own study on aspertame. It's made from two amino acids, phentlalanine and asparic acid. Her finding were that attached two those two acids were mesthyl-ester which becomes methanol in the body. When methanol is broken down in the liver it turns into formaldehyde. According to the Merck Manual, formaldehyde had been listed as a carcinogen by the EPA.

It could be the cause of swelling on your legs but you'll know for sure when you stop drinking the stuff. I have drank diet sodas for years and have since stopped since reading that book. It's only been two weeks but I firgured I drank it so often that I was numb to some of the side effect. Who really knows but that information scared the piss out me. It was good information for me and I hope it help you.
Likes For sonyaj87@hotmai:
Old 11-15-11, 04:50 PM
stonefree
Icantre Member

Bikes: 2001 DBR Axis TT, 1998 Trek 5500 OCLV, 1993 Trek 1100, 1971 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1972 Gitane Attic Beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sonyaj87@hotmai
Aspertame is scary... I just finished a book by a Candace Pert PH.D. Who is a research scientist that did her own study on aspertame. It's made from two amino acids, phentlalanine and asparic acid. Her finding were that attached two those two acids were mesthyl-ester which becomes methanol in the body. When methanol is broken down in the liver it turns into formaldehyde. According to the Merck Manual, formaldehyde had been listed as a carcinogen by the EPA.

It could be the cause of swelling on your legs but you'll know for sure when you stop drinking the stuff. I have drank diet sodas for years and have since stopped since reading that book. It's only been two weeks but I firgured I drank it so often that I was numb to some of the side effect. Who really knows but that information scared the piss out me. It was good information for me and I hope it help you.
Yes, exactly (formaldehyde is for preserving dead bodies as in 'embalming') and I didn't even need the EPA to tell me that. Aspartame as a sweetener is somewhat addictive also. Good post, thank you. For a while I thought I was the only poster that was mildly into chemistry. Splenda is not much better either unless any of us guinea pigs happens to enjoy chlorinated sucrose...aka sucralose. I prefer my chlorine outside my body in very low doses and I will even try to filter it out of my tapwater which I don't drink anyway. In other words chlorine is poison to all living things except plants and they're not talking. Ask the goldfish. Lets not even talk about saccharine. For what it's worth, I prefer Stevia as an acceptable sweetener and that's with no perceivable side effects after about five years.

Also to the following poster: I'm sorry Larra, but I did not see what your doctor said about aspartame, as it wasn't on your list of causes, did I miss something?

Last edited by stonefree; 11-15-11 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-06-11, 08:07 PM
jim p

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I drank diet soft drinks for 20 or more years. I would go to bed with chest pains every night for the last 2 years when I was drinking the diet soft drinks. I was thinking that tonight may be my last night. It was that bad. I just decided to try drinking only water. After about 2 weeks I no longer had the chest pains at night. I have been drinking water for the last 5 years and I avoid the diet soft drinks like they are poison. Which they are for me.

I even found that I could chew a stick of sugar free gum and I would have the chest pains.

This is just my experience and I know that others don't have the same symptoms as I did.
Old 12-07-11, 05:14 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you read up on most artificial sweeteners, the process to create them is a little scarey. Granted, that is true for many highly processed foods.
Old 12-10-11, 07:30 AM
dengidog

Bikes: Habanero Titanium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boy, I could have written this posting. I'm not a chemistry whiz, nor have I read any of the studies, but.... I do take Synthroid for hypothyroidism (orig. had Graves disease, then they zapped me and it flipped). At one point, I was drinking 14-16 Diet Cokes a day. No water, nothing else..just Diet Coke. I was also very heavy. It's like a vicious circle, you drink the diet soda because you're thirsty and as you're drinking, you get hungry. As you eat, you get thirsty, so...

That doesn't even address what all of that carbonation is doing to your system. Due to some medical issues, I had to completely cut out any type of carbonated drinks. It was hell to quit, but I did. Now, I like to drink lemonade or limonada (lime) with Splenda. The funny thing is...I notice that I'm hungry when I drink. Whle on my shortened tour, I didn't have access to drinks that required Splenda, so I drank a LOT of water. After a few days, I noticed that I didn't have that raging hunger anymore. Unfortunately, since I've been back, I'm back into old habits. Fortunately, I know the answer is to cut down.

I guess my point is that if you can get yourself off of any type of articial anything, do it. Give it a few weeks to see if you notice a difference in the swelling. The soda may be be perfectly harmless, but why risk it?

Last edited by dengidog; 12-10-11 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-10-11, 01:00 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I've ridden with a large, diverse group of people for many years. Among them are several people with eating disorders. Cycling seems to attract people with health problems because of the obvious health benefits. I always say that my bike is the cheapest and best doctor I ever had. Be that as it may, the collective wisdom from the folks I know is to treat food as fuel. Because that's what it is. It's just fuel. So think of it that way. What does your body need to run? Carbs, protein, fat, water, and electrolytes. And a bunch of vitamins and other micronutrients that are found in food that is grown in the dirt, harvested, and pretty much left alone after that. Your body does not need weird chemicals for fuel. So think about riding your bike and what that pursuit requires in the way of fuel.

Eat and drink that.
Old 12-10-11, 01:32 PM
Bill in Houston

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fake sugar, in all its forms, is the devil.
Old 12-11-11, 11:32 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston
Fake sugar, in all its forms, is the devil.
And regular sugar isn't far behind. There's not really much natural about it either.

How Sugar is Made
Old 12-12-11, 01:13 AM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
aspartame is one of the evil things I try and avoid, high fructose corn syrup is the other. It can be tough, but I find that cutting back and having 1-2 a day that is just sweetened with cane sugar does me just fine. Sure they have a few more calories but cuts out that craving. If you cut it completely out, watch out for the headaches that seem to come with stopping the drinking of diet sodas. If you want some scary info on aspartame, watch the documentary on it called " sweet misery".. It can be scary stuff..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-usbGZez40
Old 12-20-11, 12:55 AM
christ0ph

Bikes: 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YES,

I have noticed that too..

And it scares me a great deal. You should see a doctor to have your kidneys and liver checked out.

It also may not be aspartame, it may be something else.. Also, be aware that there is bisphenol-a in can linings. BPA is an endocrine disruptor. It appears to be associated with obesity, statistically.

Are the sodas you are drinking packaged in plastic bottles or aluminum cans with a plastic liner?

Let me first start by saying I am 29, had some leg swelling a few years back after a surgery for a while which went away and I am on pills for high cholesterol, blood pressure, weak thyroid and yeah I am a mess. Hoping biking will get me feeling better!

I noticed about 3 weeks ago my legs are selling again and have gotten worse, I work at a computer 13 hours a day and they are usually the worst after I finish my shift. If I pop a water pill on my day off to release some of the water being retained and chill for a day then some of the swelling and pain stops.

I called my Dr who did not seem overly concerned but made an appt for me as soon as one was available (at that time a month away, now a week away)

Old 12-20-11, 04:34 PM
sprince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slowandsteady
Additionally, try to get up and walk around at least every hour at work. While you are sitting down, prop your feet up.
I also sit at a computer all day and second that advice; make it a brisk walk every hour and keep your feet up with a foot stool or another office chair.
Old 12-20-11, 10:28 PM
Tabagas_Ru
`

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by christ0ph
It also may not be aspartame, it may be something else.. Also, be aware that there is bisphenol-a in can linings. BPA is an endocrine disruptor. It appears to be associated with obesity, statistically.
Are the sodas you are drinking packaged in plastic bottles or aluminum cans with a plastic liner?
Since you are versed in the subject of BPA, as evidenced by the large amount of articles you've read, could you please help me understand why BPA would be scrutinized so?

Could not the food in the packaging in contact with the BPA cause one be unhealthy regardless of the packaging?

Are not the purveyors of said food, who powerful and pecunious, risk becoming impuissant if people were to stop consuming their food no matter what it is packaged in?

Could the edifice of the processed food industry be interested in deflecting the blame from the food to the packaging, whence a move is made to abstain from the offensive packaging, such as to polish the facade of the edifice from whence it's motile bowels the offending matter was moved?
Old 12-21-11, 06:44 PM
fizbiz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a really good documentary on aspartame. I believe it's called Aspartame- Sweet Misery. It's on youtube in 7 parts. A little dry but WELL worth watching. It made me sick to my stomach.
Old 12-25-11, 07:47 PM
christ0ph

Bikes: 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BPA and phthalates are under scrutiny because of the work you can read if you follow the links I've made of the previous words. I have not read that much. But you can, if you want.

Originally Posted by Tabagas_Ru
Since you are versed in the subject of BPA, as evidenced by the large amount of articles you've read, could you please help me understand why BPA would be scrutinized so?
Perhaps you could help me with understanding why it could have NOT been scrutinized so?

"Could not the food in the packaging in contact with the BPA cause one be unhealthy regardless of the packaging?"

"Are not the purveyors of said food, who powerful and pecunious, risk becoming impuissant if people were to stop consuming their food no matter what it is packaged in?"

"Could the edifice of the processed food industry be interested in deflecting the blame from the food to the packaging, whence a move is made to abstain from the offensive packaging, such as to polish the facade of the edifice from whence it's motile bowels the offending matter was moved?"

Actually, I find myself agreeing with you on those last few lines. I think we both are to some extent "right".

But never underestimate the power of the corporate "edifice" to confuse important issues. After all, they have been doing it so well for so long.

It seems, however, extremely hard to do what they do with the media so adroitly with science because of the sheer numbers of scientists and the fact that they are all over te world, and the real power of the US corporate establishment globally, varies. On certain issues that they want to spin the news on, they typically get a few "influential voices" to endorse their doubt-spinning and leave it at that, confident that the US media will pick up the thread, helped no doubt by some well placed money.

Thats works in the US.

But its ineffectual in the scientific world because nobody is as skeptical of proof by wild gesticulation as other scientists.
Old 12-27-11, 12:43 AM
Tabagas_Ru
`

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by christ0ph
BPA and phthalates are under scrutiny because of the work you can read if you follow the links I've made of the previous words. I have not read that much. But you can, if you want.

Perhaps you could help me with understanding why it could have NOT been scrutinized so?

"Could not the food in the packaging in contact with the BPA cause one be unhealthy regardless of the packaging?"

"Are not the purveyors of said food, who powerful and pecunious, risk becoming impuissant if people were to stop consuming their food no matter what it is packaged in?"

"Could the edifice of the processed food industry be interested in deflecting the blame from the food to the packaging, whence a move is made to abstain from the offensive packaging, such as to polish the facade of the edifice from whence it's motile bowels the offending matter was moved?"

Actually, I find myself agreeing with you on those last few lines. I think we both are to some extent "right".

But never underestimate the power of the corporate "edifice" to confuse important issues. After all, they have been doing it so well for so long.

It seems, however, extremely hard to do what they do with the media so adroitly with science because of the sheer numbers of scientists and the fact that they are all over te world, and the real power of the US corporate establishment globally, varies. On certain issues that they want to spin the news on, they typically get a few "influential voices" to endorse their doubt-spinning and leave it at that, confident that the US media will pick up the thread, helped no doubt by some well placed money.

Thats works in the US.

But its ineffectual in the scientific world because nobody is as skeptical of proof by wild gesticulation as other scientists.
First off I wish a merry Christmas and a happy new year, and as is common among my people I wish you and your family double health.

Thank you for your response. I see that you are far smarter than I am so I see that I can learn much from your wisdom.

I see that we agree on many things regarding this subject and I share your views.

Please excuse my impunity when I say that you have contradicted yourself regarding your reference to the articles in your previous post.

I take issue when someone indicates knowledge on the subject but has not taken the time to scrutinise the knowledge itself, or the methodology by which said knowledge was obtained. Is one to believe that the ontology and epistemology for which the knowledge was born is the truth, without casting a critical eye towards it? Yet your readers are to accept your version, which although not a lie, but not truth either, but something that is contained in the interval between the latter and the former, a mere opinion (Plato, 380 BC).

For instance the following link https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22090277 indicates that obese people with the highest incidence of insulin resistance have the highest urinary BPA. This says the abstract is “Conclusions:BPA was positively associated with generalized obesity, abdominal obesity, and insulin resistance in middle-aged and elderly Chinese adults.”

So I ask, if the subjects ate the exact same food and the same amount of calories without BPA would they not have insulin resistance and be obese? Or would they be less insulin resistant and less obese? Would not the fact that they are eating the garbage contained in the packaging and in quantities that promote a calorie excess be the reason?

Does not blaming obesity on can linings externalise the locus of control? It`s not Johnny`s fault he is fat and lazy, he has absolutely no control over what he eats because of the way is food is packaged, poor Johnny if only the wonderful processed food industry would do away with the evil BPA.

I believe that BPA should not be scrutinised so because instead of trying to learn through science, science is being used to spout statistics and not to understand the data that is collected. It is making assumptions and spitting them out as truth.

I can take statistics and show that as ice cream sales increase so does the incidence of rapes. So if I take the conclusion from the above study and use their reasoning for the example that I posed.

Conclusions: rapes was positively associated with increased ice cream sales.

So how is that evidence of anything relevant?

That is why I am of the opinion that it should not be scrutinised so. It is a lie to be made to look like the truth. No matter how many people believe that it is true it does not make it so.

Am I of the opinion that chemicals such as BPA and the like are not fit for human consumption?

Yes, most definitely!

Most of the excrement that people eat and enjoy is not fit for the lowest of dogs to eat, and much of it parades around as health food. So how can an individual believe that the lining of their can is the cause of their problems and not the contents within that passes for food?
Old 08-10-22, 05:26 PM
Joe Hatch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Smitty, Aspartame definitely does cause leg/ ankle swelling for me. I usually avoid it, but whenever I do eat or drink anything that contains aspartame, I get swollen ankles and it usually lasts more than a week, and sometimes the swelling persists for ten days, so don't assume it's something else if the swelling doesn't go away within one or two days after giving up your diet soda, because it may take much longer to see relief. The one sure way I linked the Apartame to leg swelling was to know what I'm eating and drinking, then purposely have a diet soda with Aspartame, and then watch my ankles swell up the next day. Take it from me, there is a definite connection between Aspartame and leg swelling in my case and perhaps for you as well.
Old 08-11-22, 10:59 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
@Smitty77 hasn't been seen since 2007. I suppose if your less than timely advice manages to get them active here again at BF then it's for the good.

Welcome Joe Hatch