Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can't use my water bottle cage- too close to my crotch

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Can't use my water bottle cage- too close to my crotch

Old 08-17-22, 03:07 PM
  #1  
amyvegan
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Can't use my water bottle cage- too close to my crotch

Can't use my water bottle cage- too close to my crotch. Any idea for no-holes-required solutions?
It's a Dahon Mu so a very VERY thick frame which won't take hose clamps. Thanks so much.
amyvegan is offline  
Old 08-17-22, 03:16 PM
  #2  
Iride01 
Plz hurry Dec 22!
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 11,898

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4872 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,351 Posts
I would mount it more vertical than horizontal. Probably be better to get one of those bottle cages that mounts to your saddle and hangs off the back. Seems like I've seen some that mount on the seat tube with a bracket that also hold the cage far enough behind the saddle to allow you to get the bottle in and out. Even seen them with two bottle cages side by side off the back.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 08-17-22, 03:23 PM
  #3  
curbtender
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 7,730

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 745 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-660080...a-347849741660
curbtender is offline  
Likes For curbtender:
Old 08-17-22, 03:29 PM
  #4  
amyvegan
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks for the Topeak link. that looks do-able even if the handlebar has to be folded down. Keep other options coming, folks. Thanks!
amyvegan is offline  
Old 08-17-22, 07:27 PM
  #5  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,778

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2397 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 1,706 Posts
Originally Posted by amyvegan View Post
Can't use my water bottle cage- too close to my crotch. Any idea for no-holes-required solutions?
It's a Dahon Mu so a very VERY thick frame which won't take hose clamps. Thanks so much.
Hose clamps come in many many sizes, including some that will fit the thickest of frames.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-17-22, 07:54 PM
  #6  
VegasTriker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sin City, Nevada
Posts: 2,732

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 188 Times in 146 Posts
If you can mount it on the handlebars without interfering with the folding option, there is a simple adapter that makes it possible. These used to be available from China for 2 bucks delivered. Now it makes sense to buy from a US seller. Price is 6 bucks delivered. https://www.ebay.com/itm/373647977492

VegasTriker is offline  
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 08-17-22, 10:05 PM
  #7  
MarcusT
Senior Member
 
MarcusT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NE Italy
Posts: 1,351
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 238 Posts
I have these. They are quite adaptable to different size tubing
https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Bottle-C...p%2C151&sr=1-1
MarcusT is offline  
Old 08-17-22, 11:58 PM
  #8  
koala logs
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker View Post
If you can mount it on the handlebars without interfering with the folding option, there is a simple adapter that makes it possible. These used to be available from China for 2 bucks delivered. Now it makes sense to buy from a US seller. Price is 6 bucks delivered. https://www.ebay.com/itm/373647977492
Great! I've been looking for one to use like a handlebar cup holder so I can eat ice cream while riding!

May get two, another one for bottle, my thighs also rub the bottle on the seat tube.
koala logs is offline  
Old 08-18-22, 05:13 AM
  #9  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 13,944

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7304 Post(s)
Liked 7,542 Times in 4,237 Posts
There's a folding bike forum that looks pretty active. You might want to post the question there. You can't be the first person that needed to figure this out:

https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-18-22, 05:16 AM
  #10  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 13,944

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7304 Post(s)
Liked 7,542 Times in 4,237 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs View Post
Great! I've been looking for one to use like a handlebar cup holder so I can eat ice cream while riding!

May get two, another one for bottle, my thighs also rub the bottle on the seat tube.

I've tried handlebar cages on other kinds of bikes. It really doesn't work except as a rocket launcher every time you hit a bump.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-18-22, 06:13 AM
  #11  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 5,723

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 1,405 Times in 703 Posts
I have a Dahon Boardwalk of similar design. I'm not quite sure what you mean it's too close to your crotch, but in order to preserve 'foldability' you don't want to mount the bottle cage on the bars, stem or seat tube. I mounted my bottle-sized Air-Zound plenum on the underside of the top bar. I think you could also use hose clamps to mount a bottle holder further forward on the top tube.

To keep the bottle in reach you could use one of those behind-the-seat holders, but then the seat would not fold down all the way, but I have a saddle bag and it allows me to lower the seatpost almost all the way.

Maybe there is some sort of bottle handlebar holder with quick release that could be removed and repositioned when folded.

Good luck




BobbyG is offline  
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 08-18-22, 07:15 AM
  #12  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 13,944

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7304 Post(s)
Liked 7,542 Times in 4,237 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
I have a Dahon Boardwalk of similar design. I'm not quite sure what you mean it's too close to your crotch, but in order to preserve 'foldability' you don't want to mount the bottle cage on the bars, stem or seat tube. I mounted my bottle-sized Air-Zound plenum on the underside of the top bar. I think you could also use hose clamps to mount a bottle holder further forward on the top tube.

To keep the bottle in reach you could use one of those behind-the-seat holders, but then the seat would not fold down all the way, but I have a saddle bag and it allows me to lower the seatpost almost all the way.

Maybe there is some sort of bottle handlebar holder with quick release that could be removed and repositioned when folded.

Good luck





I have no knowledge of Dahons but I'm hoping this will help you with OP's question (Mr. Buttinski, here). The top bar on the Mu is clearly different. Do you see somewhere on the bike in this picture where you'd recommend trying your arrangement?

livedarklions is offline  
Old 08-18-22, 07:38 AM
  #13  
pdlamb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Posts: 7,906

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2090 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 847 Posts
Is your tube bigger than 2-1/4"?
Carded Hose Clamp Assortment - 6 Pcs, 1/4" to 2-1/4" 5204058: Advance Auto Parts
pdlamb is offline  
Old 08-18-22, 08:25 AM
  #14  
mtnbud
Senior Member
 
mtnbud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salem Oregon
Posts: 944

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 188 Posts
I have a frame bag on my mountain bike and use these on my handlebar. Waterbottle bag

They come with a lot of velcro straps and have lots of ways to attach to your frame.
mtnbud is offline  
Old 08-18-22, 09:32 AM
  #15  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 14,865

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9107 Post(s)
Liked 5,543 Times in 3,203 Posts
The bottle cage looks 8-10" below the saddle height where you sit. That isnt enough room?...or do you mean the bottle gets in the way when you are off the saddle with a foot down?
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 08-18-22, 09:35 AM
  #16  
amyvegan
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
thanks so much! appreciate the suggestions!
amyvegan is offline  
Old 08-18-22, 09:38 AM
  #17  
amyvegan
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
The bottle cage looks 8-10" below the saddle height where you sit. That isnt enough room?...or do you mean the bottle gets in the way when you are off the saddle with a foot down?
yes, when i stand up to stop the bike at a stop sign, bottle cage is like 1/2" from lady bits so if i go to pull the bottle out, it's not pretty. it's also dangerous.
amyvegan is offline  
Old 08-18-22, 09:39 AM
  #18  
amyvegan
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbud View Post
I have a frame bag on my mountain bike and use these on my handlebar. Waterbottle bag

They come with a lot of velcro straps and have lots of ways to attach to your frame.
thanks. great idea!!
amyvegan is offline  
Old 08-18-22, 09:40 AM
  #19  
amyvegan
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
it's a folding bike with a thick rectangular tube, not round tube. but that's not a bad idea w/rubber gaskets to not scratch the frame. thanks.
amyvegan is offline  
Old 08-18-22, 09:43 AM
  #20  
amyvegan
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I have no knowledge of Dahons but I'm hoping this will help you with OP's question (Mr. Buttinski, here). The top bar on the Mu is clearly different. Do you see somewhere on the bike in this picture where you'd recommend trying your arrangement?

awesome photos. thanks. the MU frame curves up so the standover is less and i'm 5' tall. love your photos. the stock cage mounts are placed where the bottle goes right into my crotch when i'm standing at a stop light. everyone's given good ideas- hose clamps, water bottle bag for handlebars, clamp for seat post/handlebar post w/mounts, etc....APPRECIATE y'all.
amyvegan is offline  
Likes For amyvegan:
Old 08-18-22, 09:51 AM
  #21  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 13,944

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7304 Post(s)
Liked 7,542 Times in 4,237 Posts
Originally Posted by amyvegan View Post
awesome photos. thanks. the MU frame curves up so the standover is less and i'm 5' tall. love your photos. the stock cage mounts are placed where the bottle goes right into my crotch when i'm standing at a stop light. everyone's given good ideas- hose clamps, water bottle bag for handlebars, clamp for seat post/handlebar post w/mounts, etc....APPRECIATE y'all.
Mu picture credit to Dahon website.
BobbyG 's photos really are awesome.--very clear what he did and why.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 08-18-22, 09:52 AM
  #22  
icemilkcoffee 
Senior Member
 
icemilkcoffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,522
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
Seems like a behind-the-seat bottle cage would work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283810856944
icemilkcoffee is offline  
Old 08-20-22, 04:54 PM
  #23  
Murray Missile 
Senior Member
 
Murray Missile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 700 Ft. above sea level.
Posts: 2,854

Bikes: Not as many as there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 729 Times in 390 Posts
Have you tried Home Depot for hose clamps? Dryer vents and HVAC applications use clamps in the 4 to 6 inch range.
__________________
".....distasteful and easily triggered."
Murray Missile is offline  
Old 08-22-22, 09:33 AM
  #24  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,258
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2000 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 324 Posts
The stock location for the water bottle must work. It simply must. Embarrassment while riding a bicycle? I can't see the behind-the-seat location looking any more graceful.
Leisesturm is offline  
Old 08-22-22, 10:00 AM
  #25  
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,998

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3692 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,660 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
The stock location for the water bottle must work. It simply must. Embarrassment while riding a bicycle? I can't see the behind-the-seat location looking any more graceful.
Did you read post #17? The bottle behind the post would be a lot more graceful.
79pmooney is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.