Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cracking rims - Trek Domane

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cracking rims - Trek Domane

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-18, 10:36 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by drewguy
Well, Trek agreed to replace the second wheel under warranty (it was only a year old, and they have 2-year warranty one wheels). Hopefully this one lasts longer than the last two, although I think I'll need to start looking at new rear wheels as a precaution in about 2000 miles . . .
Congratulations.

Even if these wheels last, having a second wheelset (which you can promote to default wheelset) is often a good idea.

If it were me: https://novemberbicycles.com

I bought aluminum ones from them a few years ago, but their carbon offerings, which are newer, would be my first choice now.
Old 10-10-18, 12:15 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Trek has done more to help my wheel business than I can ever really thank them for. Bontrager wheels will fail via cracking rim. It happens so often, for so long across so many different models that I am seriously amazed there hasn't been a class action lawsuit against them.

Old 10-10-18, 12:19 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I have 2K miles on my Trek Domane S5. Wheels are still in good shape. I know the frame is covered by the warranty through LBS, but I don't know about the wheels.
Old 10-10-18, 12:24 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by DomaneS5
I have 2K miles on my Trek Domane S5. Wheels are still in good shape. I know the frame is covered by the warranty through LBS, but I don't know about the wheels.
Most Trek stores will be able to cover it under warranty. Sometimes that means mismatched wheels when the original wheel is no longer available. Most of the customers that have come to me have gotten them warrantied multiple times and are just tired of it happening over and over again.

FWIW - those that have the stance of "well it's never happened to me" and you have a lot of miles on them - actually go out, clean the wheels and look at the spoke holes for cracks. You might be surprised. It's not like the cracks immediately cause the rim to fold in half. Most of the owners have just started to notice that the wheel keeps going out of true or all of a sudden went out of true. Many present to me with "hey I noticed my wheel is a little out of true can to straighten that up quickly" - and then I find the crack(s).

Old 10-10-18, 12:29 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
When I got my Madone, it came with bottom of the barrel Bontrager wheels that also developed tiny spoke hole rim cracks fairly quickly. I replaced them with a pair of $250 Vueltas that were, shockingly, a huge upgrade. Those too developed cracks in the rear rim, but after ~25,000 miles. Now I'm on a pair of HED Ardennes, they seem extremely robust. Would recommend that OP consider a pair of these.
Old 10-10-18, 08:25 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
When you get the replacement, have the lbs loosen all the spokes, then hand true and tension the wheel. You probably won't have problems again.
Old 10-10-18, 09:42 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by DomaneS5
They should be covered by warranty for 2 years (maybe longer when on new bike). As noted by others, you don't notice it until you do. The first wheel got out of true on a ride (was feeling it rub the brake). I looked at it and noticed the spokes were breaking through the rim a bit - enough the tension wasn't enough to keep it true. The second, one, which I looked at more closely fearing the same, didn't reveal itself that way - instead a spoke broke (at the hub). Was able to ride home, and then brought it in for new spoke - shop guy said rim was starting to crack.

Anyway, glad Trek stands by the wheel, but I'd really rather they saved us both the hassle by putting wheels on that lasted a bit longer. 25000km? Okay. 2500km? Not really.
Old 10-11-18, 06:27 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
They should be covered by warranty for 2 years (maybe longer when on new bike). As noted by others, you don't notice it until you do. The first wheel got out of true on a ride (was feeling it rub the brake). I looked at it and noticed the spokes were breaking through the rim a bit - enough the tension wasn't enough to keep it true. The second, one, which I looked at more closely fearing the same, didn't reveal itself that way - instead a spoke broke (at the hub). Was able to ride home, and then brought it in for new spoke - shop guy said rim was starting to crack.

Anyway, glad Trek stands by the wheel, but I'd really rather they saved us both the hassle by putting wheels on that lasted a bit longer. 25000km? Okay. 2500km? Not really.

Thanks for info. Most of the roads/pavement I ride on are in fair to good shape... not many potholes. I'll keep an eye on the rims. My LBS has been reliable with free tuneups, service, etc... since it is a Trek bike. For the Domane, I haven't had to pay anything yet just for basic maintenance/service and I've had the bike since August of '16. Of course, most of my "road" rides are short... anywhere from 8-16 miles before work in the morning. I don't do many rides over 40 miles... but when I do, it's on my gravel bike which is not a Trek.
Old 10-11-18, 08:51 PM
drewguy

Well, Trek agreed to replace the second wheel under warranty (it was only a year old, and they have 2-year warranty one wheels). Hopefully this one lasts longer than the last two, although I think I'll need to start looking at new rear wheels as a precaution in about 2000 miles . . .
Added bonus . . . Trek "upgraded" the warranty replacement to a Paradigm wheel (the next level up), which is nice.

We got to joking about when I'd need to come in to get the front wheel replaced. Mechanic at the shop, who dealt with Trek on the warranty claim, mentioned that every wheel that's come up broken (other than crashes) has been a rear wheel. Should tell them something . . .
Old 10-11-18, 09:44 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
When you get the replacement, have the lbs loosen all the spokes, then hand true and tension the wheel. You probably won't have problems again.
why do you say that?
Old 10-11-18, 10:32 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Because properly tensioning (and retensioning) a wheel is 90% of durability. Average parts properly built will (usually) last longer than premium parts poorly built.
Old 10-12-18, 06:21 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Because properly tensioning (and retensioning) a wheel is 90% of durability. Average parts properly built will (usually) last longer than premium parts poorly built.
I'd check the spoke tension, before doing a complete retensioning.

A spoke hole cracking issue like this is likely caused by low quality rims, not a tension issue..
Old 10-12-18, 02:20 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Fair enough.
Old 10-12-18, 09:25 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I'd check the spoke tension, before doing a complete retensioning.

A spoke hole cracking issue like this is likely caused by low quality rims, not a tension issue..
I have bought a fair amount of Trek bicycles. I must say the wheels have never impressed me. I take them and sell them right off the bat.
Old 08-29-22, 11:38 AM
drewguy

Well, Trek agreed to replace the second wheel under warranty (it was only a year old, and they have 2-year warranty on wheels). Hopefully this one lasts longer than the last two, although I think I'll need to start looking at new rear wheels as a precaution in about 2000 miles . . .
Resurrecting my old thread because I came across it while poking around . . . anyway first Paradigm wheel lasted ~6000 miles, and during service at Trek Bike Shop they saw cracking and replaced it (was a bit over 2 years). That one is now cracking too and working on yet another warranty replacement!

So the count:
2x TLRs, with ~2500 miles each
2x Paradigms with ~4500-6000 miles each.

Good times!
Old 08-29-22, 04:15 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I had a TLR crack on my 2013 Madone. Probably less than 1500 miles.
Old 08-29-22, 04:34 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
I have bikes in use with rims as old as I am. Have taken many rims to 20,000 miles. The causes for cracks are simple. Spoke is too tight or spokes are unevenly tensioned and some spokes are working way harder than others. Extreme rider weight. Extreme tire pressure. Garbage rims. Sounds like garbage rims this time.
Old 08-30-22, 07:32 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3422 Post(s)
Liked 3,559 Times in 1,789 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
I have bikes in use with rims as old as I am. Have taken many rims to 20,000 miles. The causes for cracks are simple. Spoke is too tight or spokes are unevenly tensioned and some spokes are working way harder than others. Extreme rider weight. Extreme tire pressure. Garbage rims. Sounds like garbage rims this time.
Aluminum rims will crack, eventually. Even on wheels tensioned by a high priest of wheel building.

The cause is simple: aluminum has no fatigue limit.

Old 08-30-22, 11:10 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
My wife and I both have 2018 Domanes, hers with Paradigm wheels mine with TLR. All this talk about cracked wheel sent me out to the garage to check the wheels on our bikes. Happy to report no cracks and we have been riding these bikes regularly for four years.
Likes For jackb:
Old 08-30-22, 06:25 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Aeolus Pro 3 or 5 rim brake wheels with lifetime warranty. But even at 95kg I’ve not touched them in 5 or so years.
Old 08-30-22, 08:05 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Aluminum rims will crack, eventually. Even on wheels tensioned by a high priest of wheel building.

The cause is simple: aluminum has no fatigue limit.
You mean aluminum has a defined fatigue life.
Old 08-30-22, 09:44 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by terrymorse
aluminum has no fatigue limit.
Originally Posted by cxwrench
You mean aluminum has a defined fatigue life.
Well, yes. But that's not what I mean by no fatigue limit.

Fatigue limit is the amount of stress over an infinite number of cycles required to induce fatigue failure. For aluminum, there is no such limit. With enough cycles, any amount of stress will fatigue aluminum.

Old 08-30-22, 09:51 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
From Merriam-Webster:

Definition of fatigue limit

: the highest stress that a material can withstand for an infinite number of cycles without breaking— called also endurance limit

I think we're both thinking the same thing here really.
Old 08-30-22, 10:04 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by cxwrench
I think we're both thinking the same thing here really.
Agreed, just confusing semantics. Aluminum's fatigue limit is essentially zero.

Old 08-31-22, 06:29 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 370 Posts
In my best Claude Rains voice, Bontrager rims cracking? I'm shocked, shocked to find that going on here!...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.