Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Good to go or good to scrap

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-22, 03:11 AM
Stormy85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Hi everyone

I need your advice on a new Carbon Columbus Fork that i just received after waiting for ages. its going on my old Nishiki steel frame which is getting a major overhaul (My dads old bike so has sentimental value )

Anyways I decided on the Columbus Minimal 1“ because I thought the quality would be good coming from a reputable brand. Although the packaging kept my hopes high the fork itself leaves me torn. Its here i need your advice as I might be somewhat impaired judgement wise.

Now to the concerns:
The fork steerer has long scuff marks all the way on both sides. They dont look too bad but you can certainly feel them with a finger nail.

Around the crown race seat its generally very poorly finished.

The fork ends have a lot of scratches on both sides and for the heck of it the paint masking wasnt done 100%.

To top it all of, the sticker shows its a 1/18“ yet in fact it is a 1“.

I am quite shocked especially when considering the price. Whats your take on it?
Old 09-03-22, 08:09 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I don't know where you ordered that fork from but I'd return it if I could. It's either a counterfeit or a "real" Columbus fork that failed QC and was shipped anyway. I realize 1" steerer forks are getting hard to find , particularly in carbon, but I wouldn't pay for this shoddy workmanship. Since the bike is a steel frame, perhaps a steel road fork would be both available, cheaper and better built.
Old 09-03-22, 08:15 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I have the same thought as to whether it might be counterfeit-due to the 1-1/8" sticker. Is there a shop close that could take a look? Was also wondering where it was ordered.
Old 09-03-22, 12:58 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
If that QR code is a serial number the claimed OEM might be able to help you track it through shipment/determine validity.
Old 09-03-22, 01:16 PM
Stormy85

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I bought the fork through bike24.com. Its a large retailer from Germany and I have used them quite a bit. Until now everything has been very good and the customer service was also really good.

The thought that it might be a counterfeit did come to mind. The manufacturing date also seemed off to me. Considering the fork was pretty much sold out everywhere and I had to wait a long time before I was able to get my hands on one, 2016 seems very strange to me.

Although it will suck having to wait another two months perhaps, I will write the company regarding the quality concerns and see what they have to say. Either way I wont be mounting this fork.
Old 09-03-22, 02:33 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
That's unfortunate as Bike24 has a good reputation and I've dealt with them successfully in the past. I'm sure they will accept a return and give you a full refund.
Old 09-03-22, 04:37 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Are you willing to buy a slightly heavier fork: Ritchey Comp Carbon Road Fork 1" Alloy Steerer - Modern Bike

I also have a "vintage" road bike that takes a 1" fork. I have read somewhere that the 1" carbon steerer of the Columbus Minimal fork is not stiff enough.
Old 09-03-22, 04:41 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormy85
Thanks for the feedback. I bought the fork through bike24.com. Its a large retailer from Germany and I have used them quite a bit. Until now everything has been very good and the customer service was also really good.

The thought that it might be a counterfeit did come to mind. The manufacturing date also seemed off to me. Considering the fork was pretty much sold out everywhere and I had to wait a long time before I was able to get my hands on one, 2016 seems very strange to me.

Although it will suck having to wait another two months perhaps, I will write the company regarding the quality concerns and see what they have to say. Either way I wont be mounting this fork.
I don't disagree that this may be a counterfeit, but I read the date label as [20]21-06-16, i.e., June 16, 2021.
Old 09-03-22, 04:55 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormy85
The manufacturing date also seemed off to me. Considering the fork was pretty much sold out everywhere and I had to wait a long time before I was able to get my hands on one, 2016 seems very strange to me..

​​​​​​https://www.progress.com/blogs/under...20that%20below).
Old 09-03-22, 06:02 PM
Sluggo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
My two cents (.02 CHF) is: a) file marks on the dropouts -- not ideal but I could live with it; b) finish around the crown race -- I am not a CF expert, but that look like the edge of the carbon sheets that make up the fork blades, and any other carbon fork would probably look similar (correct me if I am wrong), c) scuff marks should not have an effect on the function of the fork, but a new premium fork should not have them. This would motivate me to return the fork, or at least seek a discount.
Old 09-03-22, 06:28 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Looks good to me, mount it and start riding.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 09-03-22, 07:32 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
With my experience with Columbus forks (only two carbon) that is a factory second or even failed QC check. he two I have are perfect in every way. I would send it back and demand Columbus quality.
Old 09-03-22, 07:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Is the place you bought it from an authorized Columbus dealer? If not see if you can return it for your money back and go to an authorized Columbus dealer and get one from them. If it was an authorized dealer you should return it for a proper fork that isn't damaged but a lot of discount sites might not be actual proper dealers. You can ask Columbus and confirm.
Old 09-03-22, 11:36 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Looks good to me, mount it and start riding.
Same here. None of this would cause me a second thought. But that's me. I accept minor imperfection and don't even think about it.

FWIW, I've had nothing but excellent before and after sale service with Bike 24 and only authentic parts.

I bought my Columbus Minimal from chainreactioncycles.com. Worth checking out if you are indeed unhappy with this fork.
Old 09-04-22, 01:52 AM
Jockie

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have the same fork bought from CRC but without your problems.
I don't have the same labelling. Yours says it is MADE IN CHINA. Mine does not specify where it was made. Perhaps that could be the difference?
I would return it.

Old 09-05-22, 01:07 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
I wonder if the seam is cleaned up flash from mold half parting lines.
Likes For jccaclimber:
Old 09-08-22, 08:29 AM
Mr. 66

Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
Is there a problem with the original steel fork? If not I would just stick the stock item.
Old 09-08-22, 09:31 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Are you willing to buy a slightly heavier fork: Ritchey Comp Carbon Road Fork 1" Alloy Steerer - Modern Bike

I also have a "vintage" road bike that takes a 1" fork. I have read somewhere that the 1" carbon steerer of the Columbus Minimal fork is not stiff enough.
I have one of these on my 2001 vintage Litespeed. Came perfect and works great. I think its a worthy alternative if you are gonna return the other item.
Old 09-08-22, 03:04 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,536 Posts
IMHO classic Nishiki deserves a steel fork

this is not perfect in that it is threadless but gives and idea https://www.jensonusa.com/Dimension-700C-Road-Fork