Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel out of true only while being ridden?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-06-22, 08:44 AM
chuckybb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

My young but 6'-1" tall ridding buddy asked if I could true up his front wheel (29" wheel w/2.6 inch wide mountain tires) on his Schwinn Axum mountain bike. We lifted the bike up and spun the wheel around. It seemed very true (maybe 1 or 2mm lateral) considering the rough treatment he has shown it..He said it was looked more out of true while he was riding it. I'm wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone?
Old 09-06-22, 09:07 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5148 Post(s)
Liked 2,691 Times in 1,593 Posts
Pull the rim strip and check for cracks between the spoke holes on the inside of the rim. Wide mountain bike tires can push outward on the rim and cause it to crack. The result is a rim that seems sound without load but can be out of true when the rider sits on it.

You might also check all of the spokes to ensure that you don’t have an overly loose one (or 2 or 10)
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-06-22, 09:07 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2086 Post(s)
Liked 1,334 Times in 845 Posts
It's hard to see a 1-2 mm wobble as you're riding, especially as you're rolling on a mountain. You might look carefully at the tires; a bulge in a sidewall is very visible (and often ready to blow out).
Old 09-06-22, 10:14 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 453 Posts
Possibly, as mentioned above, rider is just seeing a wobble in the tire. Tires are seldom perfect, and damage to the casing will cause major wobble - usually enough to 'feel' the wobble.
Old 09-06-22, 10:47 AM
Iride01 
Plz hurry Dec 22!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4855 Post(s)
Liked 3,382 Times in 2,344 Posts
As others said cosmetic flaws in the tire will easily make you believe a wheel isn't true. Sometimes the tread strip doesn't get laid straight and in the proper line before they vulcanize it on or what ever they do nowadays. Sometimes incorrect seating of the tire bead will make it lean to one side more in some places.

But I'd suppose it's possible that if the tensions on the spokes are way wonky then that might be part of the issue too when weight is put on the bike. I use to true my own wheels, but eventually realized that I could have a perfectly true wheel and some spokes be loose and others too tight. Since I didn't have anything to measure the spoke tension and didn't want to have more tools laying around for occasional use, I decided to let a bike shop handle my wheels when I need such. And I found out they don't charge much to do a really good job on them. So more time for me to do other stuff.
Old 09-06-22, 01:18 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Srewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3628 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,613 Posts
I'll offer a reason why a wheel might be thought of as out of true when transferred to another bike that has nothing to do with spokes or tires. The hub bearing adjustment might have shifted during the transfer. Especially with a nutted axle the lock nuts and cones can spin on the axle and thus change the bearing adjustment. One might think that the rider would recognize the flopping about wheel as a bearing issue and not a rim or tire trueness issue. But after working in a LBS one will know better than to trust a lay person's description, that hasn't been confirmed by you. Andy (not trying to say this is what's going on. Just adding info to the thread)
Old 09-06-22, 02:30 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 608 Posts
With a 2.6" tire, I'm not sure if you can see the rim well enough when riding?
Give the spokes a "pluck" test. They should "twang", not "thunk".
Squeeze adjacent pairs together firmly and see if any pair gives unusual results compared to the other pairs.

Is the tire seated straight?
Old 09-10-22, 12:36 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 184 Posts
Look at the hub.