Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why don't people want to pedal anymore?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why don't people want to pedal anymore?

Old 09-21-22, 10:54 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
All the states i have ridden (I think 38 but I cannot count that high) have Almost the same written rules, which in action work out to be exactly the same laws .... the range of factors which allow taking a lane might differ, but there are always enough options that you can find a rational reason. All require about three feet to pass.Even the states which require riders to use bike lanes have the exceptions clause .....

Last edited by Maelochs; 09-21-22 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-21-22, 11:06 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I just don't get this e-bike craze.
It's the latest "thing" to get. So many get them for that reason alone.

It'll work well (perhaps better, for many) as transportation, even if ditching much of the physical benefit.

Of course, on the question of reckless (even wanton) driving/riding of a vehicle, whether it be a car, bike, skateboard or whatever, there have always been the occasional dolts and mental midgets who can't appreciate grossly-dangerous overtaking and passing speeds constitute a safety risk to everybody, particularly those who don't yet know the idiots are there. (Been "buzzed" by skateboarders, and the occasional impatient bike rider, though I can't recall an e-bike user behaving dangerously with others around. Courteous and safe passing doesn't seem to be nearly as commonplace as it once was, everyone in their own "bubbles" as they are.
Old 09-21-22, 11:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
though I can't recall an e-bike user behaving dangerously with others around.
Come to the "big city" and you will see plenty of that, especially among food delivery people. E-scooter kids as well.
Old 09-21-22, 12:15 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Come to the "big city" and you will see plenty of that, especially among food delivery people. E-scooter kids as well.
I'm certain of it, in some spots.

Though, for myself, where I bike, I have yet to see it ... near a "big city" and all.
Old 09-21-22, 02:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
If they end up riding an e-bike more often than they would a regular bike, they will get a higher exercise benefit.

The exercise benefit of a bike that doesn't get ridden is zero.

--------

Metabolic and Cardiovascular Responses to a Simulated Commute on an E-Bike

The faster times and the lower perceived exertion associated with the e-bike may incentivize active transportation. Further, while the cardiometabolic responses (e.g., HR and V̇O2) were lower for the e-bike, they were indicative of being at or near “moderate intensity,” suggesting that e-bike use may still benefit health-related fitness.
Also, it really doesn't follow that someone couldn't put the same effort into an ebike ride as they do an acoustic bike ride. If someone is pedaling 150 watts for an hour on the acoustic, they could in principle do exactly that on an ebike.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-21-22, 03:03 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Also, it really doesn't follow that someone couldn't put the same effort into an ebike ride as they do an acoustic bike ride. If someone is pedaling 150 watts for an hour on the acoustic, they could in principle do exactly that on an ebike.
So the title of this thread should be "Why don't people want to pedal any less?"
Old 09-21-22, 07:15 PM
Everton FC

Bikes: 1993 Specialized Rockhopper/1989 Norco Cherokee/2005 Trek 6700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My wife wants one. I'm "old school".

My kids like them. But all pedal. My son especially likes the old-school steel. The fact they are so expensive (generally speaking), keeps me from even thinking about them. My son also says he'd rather have a Ducatti Scrambler over an e-bike, if he had a license to drive one. He's a teen. Pretty cool kid.

My wife wanted a Vespa once. To each, their own!
Old 09-22-22, 12:29 AM
ilchymis
A.K.A. purple fork man

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
i think everyone understood the intent there, but yes, stated correctly energy usage averaged 10 watts for a period of 9 hours. “per” vs “for,” a grievous mistake.
Well no, I truly couldn't understand what you were trying to convey there. But thanks for clarifying.
Old 09-22-22, 07:44 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
2 miles is 12 minutes @ 10m/h, you should be able to do that on a regular bike without getting sweaty assuming any reasonable level of fitness and are taking it easy.
Sounds good in theory, but not realistic due to 2 factors. Uphill climb for about a mile. Our summers are humid. 70-100% humidity most of the time. Humidity is 87% right now as I type this.
Old 09-22-22, 08:35 AM
big john

Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Sounds good in theory, but not realistic due to 2 factors. Uphill climb for about a mile. Our summers are humid. 70-100% humidity most of the time. Humidity is 87% right now as I type this.
I start sweating when I look at the bike. A friend said after I ride by they have to mop the street so other cyclists don't slip in the sweat.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-22-22, 08:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Maelochs
So the title of this thread should be "Why don't people want to pedal any less?"

No, I think the title f the thread should be "Why do other people want things I don't want, and not want things I want?"
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-22-22, 09:11 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
No, I think the title f the thread should be "Why do other people want things I don't want, and not want things I want?"
it would be nice to direct the malcontents to an app created just for them where the is endless grouching and complaining, called Next Door. A real whiner-fest.

Old 09-22-22, 09:54 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I used to disagree, but now agree.

The only person that truly knows if they're still doing the 150w on the ebike outside of a controlled study or experiment is the person riding the ebike.

It's 100% true it can benefit folks to do this. It's just the personal choice to follow through.

I know personally only the folks that chose to do the work on the e-bike. I only can view from a distance many people riding the greenway behind my house not pedalling whatsoever (it's pan flat) choosing to not do the work. I do not know any of those people personally.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 09-22-22, 10:29 AM
Maelochs

You might think i am a jerk, (and sometimes you might be right,) but I still enjoy most of your comments.
Old 09-22-22, 10:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I used to disagree, but now agree.

The only person that truly knows if they're still doing the 150w on the ebike outside of a controlled study or experiment is the person riding the ebike.

It's 100% true it can benefit folks to do this. It's just the personal choice to follow through.

I know personally only the folks that chose to do the work on the e-bike. I only can view from a distance many people riding the greenway behind my house not pedalling whatsoever (it's pan flat) choosing to not do the work. I do not know any of those people personally.

I've definitely seen older people pedaling their ebikes with some effort, and had a conversation with a couple who definitely were doing so because it was more fun to cover the bigger distance for the same effort. I didn't know them, but don't think they were lying.

I don't want an ebike myself, but I don't see anything mysterious about why anyone else would want one regardless of how fit they are. It just means they don't ride for the same purposes I do or at least not the same way I serve that purpose.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-22-22, 10:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You might think i am a jerk, (and sometimes you might be right,) but I still enjoy most of your comments.

My comment wasn't meant to be any kind of criticism of you, just using my response to imply that I disagree with the way OP framed whatever issue it is we're supposedly discussing in this thread.
Old 09-22-22, 11:08 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
A bit off topic - I just rode the week of Cycle Oregon. They allowed a few E-bikes this year. (I never saw the number.) Mid-week a young lady was hanging at the espresso tent and saying that others didn't get that she had to work too; that the E-bike wasn't a free ride. She heard me say I was tired to the bone. (I wasn't addressing her; just stating the facts after riding a very hard "layover option" ride as a near 70 yo riding a fix gear. Last day she powered past me near the top of the final climb, ~3000' in 10 miles. Later she heard me say roughly the same "tired to the bone". Stated that she got that she had no idea how hard I had worked. She sounded quite humbled.
Old 09-22-22, 12:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
. The point of riding a road bike is after all, pain. If one avoids pain, one also avoids growth, whether physical, mental, or spiritual. I realize that may not be a universal value, but among the cyclists with whom I have ridden, it does seem to be. There's always that hill that's steeper than one wishes it were. That's where the good stuff happens. .

Good gracious, my road bike is a hair shirt? If I wanted major pain with my exhaustion, I'd take up running. I absolutely don't agree that growth requires one not avoid pain. If you're right about that, should we remove the saddle from the seat post? That'll encourage our growth real quick.

I like my road bike because I can ride it fast and for many hours without excruciating pain.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-22-22, 12:20 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
No. i am quite comfortable getting passed, as long as proper notice is given. “On your left” or similar. What does make me mad is these moto boys swerving through the bike/walking/jogging traffic at speeds way above what is safe. I wonder are you a Strava disciple? How’s your scoreboard looking?
Do the fully kitted racers boyz doing the same thing also make you mad???
Old 09-22-22, 12:26 PM
phedge

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 260 Times in 89 Posts
eBikes are popular on a nearby paved trail that includes a section of pretty nice rollers. I crested over one of the taller rollers and huffing and puffing up the other side was a fairly large woman pushing her eBike up the hill. Sweating, huffing and puffing, she was getting a serious workout from her eBike.

I probably shouldn'ta laughed, but I did.
Likes For phedge:
Old 09-22-22, 02:02 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by phedge
eBikes are popular on a nearby paved trail that includes a section of pretty nice rollers. I crested over one of the taller rollers and huffing and puffing up the other side was a fairly large woman pushing her eBike up the hill. Sweating, huffing and puffing, she was getting a serious workout from her eBike.

I probably shouldn'ta laughed, but I did.
On the other side of that coin, there's a wonderful pass in Washington State, Cayuse Pass. From the south, it's about 12 miles of mostly 6%-7%. I once crested it coming from the north, an easier climb. As took a break, a very large and heavy woman was finishing the climb from the south on an MTB. All honors to her! That's how it's done. I clapped, hope she took it the right way.
Old 09-22-22, 02:37 PM
Maelochs

My comment wasn't meant to be any kind of criticism of you, just using my response to imply that I disagree with the way OP framed whatever issue it is we're supposedly discussing in this thread.
Dude ..... whew.

Your comment had NOTHING TO DO WITH ME. Your comment was an astute insight into the motivating thought (seemingly) behind so many threads on this site.

And though you might have forgotten me (I should let this rest in peace because having forgotten me is pure bliss compared to having to remember me) I am the guy at whom you have aimed (and from whom you have possibly had to dodge) a few barbed statements over the years.

Even if I find your occasional excesses comical (as I do mine own, and most peoples') I have always respected your wisdom, and failed to understand how people can ride so far, so fast, at such a low pace in such a high gear .... yet here you are.

I guess it is the flat shoes that give you wings or something ...... I'd try "livedarklions-style" but my knees complain already even before I ride.

But I don't mind oddity, or its quintessence, uniqueness. So mash on, brother.
Old 09-22-22, 04:00 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Good gracious, my road bike is a hair shirt? If I wanted major pain with my exhaustion, I'd take up running. I absolutely don't agree that growth requires one not avoid pain. If you're right about that, should we remove the saddle from the seat post? That'll encourage our growth real quick.

I like my road bike because I can ride it fast and for many hours without excruciating pain.
No, not excruciating, just discomfort. Damage is unhelpful. You do get it, of course. A fellow on BF a number of years ago related how he had developed some sort of butt problem, probably 'roids, but I don't really remember. I do remember that, similar to what you say, he removed his seatpost and kept trying to ride. Eventually he was able to go back to his 40 mile group rides, standing the whole way. It worked.

Lactate build-up in the legs happens, even if it's not really lactate that causes the pain (or should I say discomfort?). I remember racing a couple of friends to the top of a local pass, about 90 miles into a training ride for a much harder ride. We stopped at a store at the pass and we all cramped our legs solid after a bit. Out in the parking lot, one of us had emptied a soda bottle which fell over in a wind gust and no one could get their legs to work well enough to chase it down. We were falling-down laughing. The rest of the ride went fine as did the event ride. I don't remember who got to the top first - it didn't matter. We all got a good bump from that 10 miles of hard work.
Old 09-22-22, 06:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You might think i am a jerk, (and sometimes you might be right,) but I still enjoy most of your comments. Dude ..... whew.

Your comment had NOTHING TO DO WITH ME. Your comment was an astute insight into the motivating thought (seemingly) behind so many threads on this site.

And though you might have forgotten me (I should let this rest in peace because having forgotten me is pure bliss compared to having to remember me) I am the guy at whom you have aimed (and from whom you have possibly had to dodge) a few barbed statements over the years.

Even if I find your occasional excesses comical (as I do mine own, and most peoples') I have always respected your wisdom, and failed to understand how people can ride so far, so fast, at such a low pace in such a high gear .... yet here you are.

I guess it is the flat shoes that give you wings or something ...... I'd try "livedarklions-style" but my knees complain already even before I ride.

But I don't mind oddity, or its quintessence, uniqueness. So mash on, brother.

​​​​​​I actually like most of your posts very much, you just drive me nuts from time to time. If I have one piece of advice, it would be to discard the post as soon as you realize you're referring to yourself as "we". It's like a tell that " evil Maelochs" has risen. Basically, I think you have really good practical advice for people, and you're very helpful to beginners with sensible "here's a way to get started" advice. I admire that.
Old 09-22-22, 06:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rydabent
Do the fully kitted racers boyz doing the same thing also make you mad???
Tell us, where did the bad, bad cyclist touch you?
Likes For livedarklions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.