Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Vets Day

Old 11-11-19, 09:33 AM
  #1  
rck
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: monroe (sw) wi
Posts: 1,343

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Vets Day

Think I'll go home and listen to the "Ballad of the Green Beret" and follow it with "Alice's Restaurant" After which I'll go out and shovel snow as a reality check.
rck is offline  
Likes For rck:
Old 11-11-19, 11:44 AM
  #2  
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Posts: 9,651

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 2,068 Times in 1,117 Posts
Dear America:
You're welcome.

DiabloScott is offline  
Old 11-12-19, 10:36 AM
  #3  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 8,229

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked 1,113 Times in 650 Posts
The best thing we could do for vets (I am one) is to stop sending us to war. Also, start supporting us when we come home.
bruce19 is offline  
Old 11-12-19, 12:04 PM
  #4  
Helderberg
Senior Member
 
Helderberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Rolesville NC
Posts: 816

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
The best thing we could do for vets (I am one) is to stop sending us to war. Also, start supporting us when we come home.
I am one also and you are absolutely correct.
Frank.
Helderberg is offline  
Old 11-12-19, 06:07 PM
  #5  
bobwysiwyg
Senior Member
 
bobwysiwyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: 961' 42.28 N, 83.78 W (A2)
Posts: 2,344

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
The best thing we could do for vets (I am one) is to stop sending us to war. Also, start supporting us when we come home.
I'm also a Vet. Couldn't agree more. No, I'm not an isolationist, but I am someone who thinks we, collectively, should think long and hard before sending our forces into harm's way.
bobwysiwyg is offline  
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 11-12-19, 07:11 PM
  #6  
Papa Tom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,440
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
I'm also a Vet. Couldn't agree more. No, I'm not an isolationist, but I am someone who thinks we, collectively, should think long and hard before sending our forces into harm's way.
...And stop sending soldiers into harm's way under the pretense of protecting our freedom when they are often sent there to protect the profits of greedy large corporation owners. I salute all of you who have served. I am highly suspicious of those who created the wars and conflicts you served in.
Papa Tom is offline  
Old 11-12-19, 07:17 PM
  #7  
jon c. 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 4,320
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 532 Times in 297 Posts
My sentiments exactly.
jon c. is offline  
Old 11-12-19, 08:36 PM
  #8  
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Metro Indy, IN
Posts: 16,180

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 213 Posts
I don't guess there will ever be a Conscientious Objector Day for the small number of us who did that. Highly unlikely.
__________________
Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
JanMM is offline  
Likes For JanMM:
Old 11-13-19, 09:35 AM
  #9  
rck
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: monroe (sw) wi
Posts: 1,343

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
I don't guess there will ever be a Conscientious Objector Day for the small number of us who did that. Highly unlikely.
JanMM-Actually I respect the stand you took. I had a friend who did 2 years in a federal pen. for being a CO and one of the best medics I knew when I was Vietnam carried no weapons of any kind. No rifle, handgun, grenades etc.
rck is offline  
Likes For rck:
Old 11-13-19, 04:41 PM
  #10  
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Metro Indy, IN
Posts: 16,180

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by rck View Post
JanMM-Actually I respect the stand you took. I had a friend who did 2 years in a federal pen. for being a CO and one of the best medics I knew when I was Vietnam carried no weapons of any kind. No rifle, handgun, grenades etc.
The options during Vietnam were 1. Join military as non-combatant. 2. Don't cooperate with the draft and go to jail or flee to Canada. 3. Cooperate with selective service and perform 2 years of alternative service, which is what I did. Worked as a nursing assistant at a hospital in Chicago, which led, eventually, to a career in nursing. First hurdle was to persuade the local draft board that you really were a CO.
__________________
Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
JanMM is offline  
Old 11-13-19, 07:55 PM
  #11  
jackb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Missoula, Montana
Posts: 655

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 50 Posts
I was drafted in 1967, and separated from active duty in 1969 after a year in Vietnam. In 1976 I joined the United States Peace Corps and served two years in Malaysia as a teacher. Plenty of people have thanked me for my military service. No one has ever thanked me for my Peace Corps service.
jackb is offline  
Likes For jackb:
Old 11-14-19, 08:14 AM
  #12  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 8,229

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked 1,113 Times in 650 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
I'm also a Vet. Couldn't agree more. No, I'm not an isolationist, but I am someone who thinks we, collectively, should think long and hard before sending our forces into harm's way.
And, imagine Iran sending their forces to a base in Canada or Mexico and then launching drones and sending forces into upstate NY or AZ because they want our natural resources or they want to support a nearby enemy of our country. Imagine one of those drones misses it's target and hits your child's school and kills kids. Or hits a hospital or a mall or your neighbor's house. I think I'd be pissed and join a militia to kill as many Iranians as I could. And, we wonder why we are hated just for being Americans?
bruce19 is offline  
Likes For bruce19:
Old 11-14-19, 08:16 AM
  #13  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 8,229

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked 1,113 Times in 650 Posts
Now I'm moving on. I just don't want to keep up this treadmill of turning citizens into killers/victims and then suffering the loss of good people.
bruce19 is offline  
Old 11-14-19, 01:11 PM
  #14  
Papa Tom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,440
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
And, imagine Iran sending their forces to a base in Canada or Mexico and then launching drones and sending forces into upstate NY or AZ because they want our natural resources or they want to support a nearby enemy of our country. Imagine one of those drones misses it's target and hits your child's school and kills kids. Or hits a hospital or a mall or your neighbor's house. I think I'd be pissed and join a militia to kill as many Iranians as I could. And, we wonder why we are hated just for being Americans?
Well said. Unfortunately, our back-against-the-wall president really needs a good war right now to take the focus off his impeachment. Fingers crossed that there are grown-ups in the White House who won't let that happen.

And so we won't all get wiped from this thread for getting political, what do you think about the soldiers who used to ride bicycles into battle? Sounds like an awkward way, at best, to make your way through a storm of enemy fire.
Papa Tom is offline  
Old 11-14-19, 06:49 PM
  #15  
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Metro Indy, IN
Posts: 16,180

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb View Post
I was drafted in 1967, and separated from active duty in 1969 after a year in Vietnam. In 1976 I joined the United States Peace Corps and served two years in Malaysia as a teacher. Plenty of people have thanked me for my military service. No one has ever thanked me for my Peace Corps service.
Thank you!
__________________
Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
JanMM is offline  
Likes For JanMM:
Old 11-14-19, 06:55 PM
  #16  
bobwysiwyg
Senior Member
 
bobwysiwyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: 961' 42.28 N, 83.78 W (A2)
Posts: 2,344

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
I don't guess there will ever be a Conscientious Objector Day for the small number of us who did that. Highly unlikely.
Yup.
We had one on our company, was the company clerk. Nearly bought the farm January 31, 1968. Go figure. Nice guy by the way. Never gave his status a second thought.
bobwysiwyg is offline  
Old 11-14-19, 06:58 PM
  #17  
bobwysiwyg
Senior Member
 
bobwysiwyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: 961' 42.28 N, 83.78 W (A2)
Posts: 2,344

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom View Post
Well said. Unfortunately, our back-against-the-wall president really needs a good war right now to take the focus off his impeachment. Fingers crossed that there are grown-ups in the White House who won't let that happen.

And so we won't all get wiped from this thread for getting political, what do you think about the soldiers who used to ride bicycles into battle? Sounds like an awkward way, at best, to make your way through a storm of enemy fire.

Before it gets deep sixed.
bobwysiwyg is offline  
Old 11-18-19, 01:37 PM
  #18  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,357

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,089 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom View Post
...what do you think about the soldiers who used to ride bicycles into battle? Sounds like an awkward way, at best, to make your way through a storm of enemy fire.
It wasn't just soldiers, but also civilians using bicycles as military cargo carriers in Vietnam, bicycles were also used as cargo carriers through the jungle by the Japanese during WW2 in the Malay Peninsula culminating in their successful conquering of Singapore. These movements were seldom under direct enemy fire.

The Canadians did not ride their bicycles ashore on D-day.https://www.urkai.com/canadian-history-bicycles-in-war/
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 11-27-19, 04:07 PM
  #19  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,620

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2991 Post(s)
Liked 934 Times in 554 Posts
US Navy '57 to '61 here. At 80 years old I realize it is a special thing to have a DD-214. Thanks to all that do!!
rydabent is offline  
Old 12-01-19, 10:52 AM
  #20  
molten
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've lost my sympathy for bike-related vets. As I have known `1 of such for several decades+. Later in the future, then come a day he is at my front door -- saying "I want my bike back." Saying the name of the bike he chose to give me, as I was in his bike shop -- years ago. As I was expressing how much I admired it. But then in a future time, he ordered a source of his, who owned the bike -- to transfer it to Me. But of this Vet, who related to The Bike Shop: I also had situation with him in which he called me & wanted to know how much I would sell a specific Campagnolo component for. As he claim to have a customer who want to switch components from the frame the customer had. But the Vet was expecting to get a lower price from me, than what an online price would have been. As I was only going to sell what online price was paid for.. I requested contact of who this buying source was; but I was never told who it was. This was the only time we talked about product value and or selling value, in entire chat: as I was waiting for him to open the questions of such topic against me -- as he was in the business of selling. But he never did bring the questions.
But unfortunately I was in a situation that I had to sell a selected bike I had. As this Vet been an experienced vintage bike seller -- whom I had done repeated/past business with. And of never any trouble. I assigned him to sell my such bike for Me. But NOW rather he attempted take off without any compensation. As his past/original business practice was paying a commission. (But After) I now gave him control of my bike, another Valid source showed me proof of the Vet selling (what was my) 'bike' rather as broken down.
At a later time, he comes back -- making a total cash compensation payment that be no more than 25% value what I would have asked for.
Since then, I have lost trust in reputation of "vets."

Last edited by molten; 12-01-19 at 06:57 PM. Reason: add more detail
molten is offline  
Old 12-01-19, 05:29 PM
  #21  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,824

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,175 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by molten View Post
I've lost my sympathy for bike-related vets. As I have known `1 of such for several decades+. Later in the future, then come a day he is at my front door -- saying "I want my bike back." Saying the name of the bike he chose to give me, as I was in his bike shop -- years ago. As I was expressing how much I admired it. But then in a future time, he ordered a source of his, who owned the bike -- to transfer it to Me. But of this Vet, who related to The Bike Shop: I also had situation with him in which he called me & wanted to know how much I would sell a specific Campagnolo component for. As he claim to have a customer who want to switch components from the frame the customer had. But the Vet was expecting to get a lower price from me, than what an online price would have been. As I was only going to sell what online price was paid for.. I requested contact of who this buying source was; but I was never told who it was. This was the only time we talked about product value and or selling value, in entire chat: as I was waiting for him to open the questions of such topic against me -- as he was in the business of selling. But he never did bring the questions.
But unfortunately I was in a situation that I had to sell a selected bike I had. As this Vet been an experienced vintage bike seller -- whom I had done repeated/past business with. And of never any trouble. I assigned him to sell my such bike for Me. But NOW rather he attempted take off without any compensation. As his past/original business practice was paying a commission. (But After) I now gave him control of my bike, another Valid source showed me proof of the Vet selling (what was my) 'bike' rather as broken down.
At a later time, he comes back -- making a total cash compensation payment that be no less than 25% commission what I would have asked for.
Since then, I have lost trust in reputation of "vets."
Losing trust in all veterans over something like this is like losing trust in all school teachers for the actions of one bad school teacher.
FiftySix is offline  
Old 12-01-19, 06:22 PM
  #22  
molten
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This Vet sure not be of young generation. He be of Old-School attitude.
molten is offline  
Old 12-02-19, 12:54 PM
  #23  
shelbyfv
Expired Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 10,140
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3012 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 1,999 Posts
Originally Posted by molten View Post
I've lost my sympathy for bike-related vets. As I have known `1 of such for several decades+. Later in the future, then come a day he is at my front door -- saying "I want my bike back." Saying the name of the bike he chose to give me, as I was in his bike shop -- years ago. As I was expressing how much I admired it. But then in a future time, he ordered a source of his, who owned the bike -- to transfer it to Me. But of this Vet, who related to The Bike Shop: I also had situation with him in which he called me & wanted to know how much I would sell a specific Campagnolo component for. As he claim to have a customer who want to switch components from the frame the customer had. But the Vet was expecting to get a lower price from me, than what an online price would have been. As I was only going to sell what online price was paid for.. I requested contact of who this buying source was; but I was never told who it was. This was the only time we talked about product value and or selling value, in entire chat: as I was waiting for him to open the questions of such topic against me -- as he was in the business of selling. But he never did bring the questions.
But unfortunately I was in a situation that I had to sell a selected bike I had. As this Vet been an experienced vintage bike seller -- whom I had done repeated/past business with. And of never any trouble. I assigned him to sell my such bike for Me. But NOW rather he attempted take off without any compensation. As his past/original business practice was paying a commission. (But After) I now gave him control of my bike, another Valid source showed me proof of the Vet selling (what was my) 'bike' rather as broken down.
At a later time, he comes back -- making a total cash compensation payment that be no more than 25% value what I would have asked for.
Since then, I have lost trust in reputation of "vets."
Is this the same guy who took your trainer?
shelbyfv is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.