Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Painting My Bike, I Have Some Questions

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-22, 02:57 PM
Buzzkill53120

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 2019, Trek Trek Madone 5.1 (2011), Trek 1400 (1991)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 33 Posts

I'm painting my 2011 Trek Madone and I'm looking for advice on how to proceed with masking and paint.
I'm planning to use spray cans; a 2K primer followed by an acrylic color coats then finished with a 2K clearcoat. Nothing fancy. I'm sanding the frame done to bare CF, but I have questions on how to attack certain areas that can't be easily sanded; such as the areas where; 1.) BB cable guide is mounted, 2.) DuoTrap mounting, and 3.) rear dropouts.
For areas 1 and 2 I'm looking at sanding around the perimeter of the feature and masking off the areas not visible. For the aluminum dropouts I'm debating to sand them dome as well as can and paint -OR- mask them off completely and leave as bare aluminum.
My question is: will masking these areas off increase the probability of chipping of the new paint near the masked or am I better off sanding it down the best I can to have a continuous coat. I'm nervous especially around the dropouts that the primer may not adhere well, causing crinkling.
I thought about sanding the problem areas best I can, and then primer them first to see if there will be a problem first. I thought having just the dropouts media blasted. I don't know anybody who can do this for me.

Bottom Bracket

DuoTrap

Dropout

Dropout
Old 02-22-22, 03:13 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Have you tried something like a Dremel Wire Brush?

Make sure your tight spots are grease free.
Old 02-22-22, 05:38 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
You know that you don't actually have to sand all the paint off, right? You could've just scuffed it up and painted over the original paint.
Likes For FastJake:
Old 02-22-22, 05:52 PM
hayden52

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I would mask the areas where there will be contact with something else (screw holes, dropouts) and the areas where you can't sand all of the paint off, just sand the transition so its smooth and paint over it. Don't paint the dropouts, the paint will just come off the first (or second) time you put your wheel(s) on.
Old 02-23-22, 05:58 PM
Buzzkill53120

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 2019, Trek Trek Madone 5.1 (2011), Trek 1400 (1991)

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 33 Posts
Yeah I roughed up the the frame sections other than the dropouts. I did try using a dremel around the crevices in the dropouts, I think it’ll all work out. I was just a little nervous with the prep, thanks to everyone who commented.
Old 02-24-22, 06:10 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 1,573 Times in 731 Posts
The 2K primer is excellent, sprays very evenly and has great adhesion. I think you're all set.