Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Laughing at myself over this

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-22-22, 07:57 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 260 Posts

I’m currently focused on training to at least attempt my first double century this October in Clovis. I’ve completed 8-9? Centuries in the past two years and feel ready to try something a bit tougher. I’ve never worn proper cycling shorts as I could not find a pair that seemed comfortable so resorted to whatever “gym” shorts I could find.
A friend who’s done numerous doubles suggested bibs which are not unknown to me I simply never considered them. I found a nice set of Pearl Izumi’s and was sold !! Still getting a chuckle that it took me this long to get on board with such an effective cycling item😄😄😄😄
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 08-23-22, 04:44 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I can’t imagine not wearing cycling shorts but it’s understandable how challenging it might be to find the right fit. PI makes good stuff. Enjoy the double. You’ll do well if the weather cooperates.
Old 08-23-22, 12:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Certainly I've been using proper cycling shorts and attire longer, but I too was a little leery of them and purposely did not want to look like all the rest as that felt like capitulation! However it is one of those things that once you do, then you wonder why you waited so long. My journey from bike shorts to bibs was a little of the same thing, though personally I'm fine with either. I don't have the fit issues some others seem to allude too.

Probably one of the biggest thing I had to laugh at myself for was using friction shifters on the downtube so long thinking nothing could be better. Then about 2107 I put 105 5800 on a '91 Paramount frame and those days were over and new ones beginning.... steel to carbon, rim brake to disc brake, cable pulled to electronic shifting, cable pulled to hydraulic brakes.... boy I've laughed at myself a lot for my mistaken beliefs! <grin>
Old 08-23-22, 06:38 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
I have laughed at myself so much over little things - it's not funny anymore.

Every time I think about buying a bike with all the new bells and whistles - to enjoy riding more - I laugh at myself. If I wanted to ride harder, faster, or significantly tougher terrain it might make sense.

Good luck with the double.
That's quite a great feat if you enjoy it enough to want to do it again.
It's still quite a feat even if you have to slog through the last 50miles.

Clipless pedals? for efficiency over big miles
Old 09-22-22, 06:45 PM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
Welcome to the bibs team, and good luck on your double century. Stay safe and have fun.
Old 09-22-22, 07:26 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I rarely wear cycling shorts. My general rule is, 20 miles or less I'll just wear running shorts. Beyond 20 miles I'll wear cycling shorts. But most of my rides are 20 miles or less. I know what it's like to wear cycling shorts, but I'm completely comfortable in running shorts.
Old 09-23-22, 07:13 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
Give them a try.

Personally, I’m not generally fond of them, as I have a longish torso, and the tension in the straps cramps the boys. They’re also a hassle at bathroom stops. But they do tend to fit most people well and are generally preferred.

Enjoy the double! I’ve done quite a few, and I think you’ll really enjoy it. Most people hit a low point at about 130 miles then get a second wind from there. Start early and take your time.

Which double are you doing?

Old 09-23-22, 07:36 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 429 Posts
A double century. I can't imagine. Best to you - I hope it goes well.
Old 09-23-22, 09:33 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Give them a try.

Personally, I’m not generally fond of them [bib shorts], as I have a longish torso, and the tension in the straps cramps the boys.
That's not a bug, that's a feature.

If your "boys" tend to hang low, it's a very important feature.

Old 09-23-22, 09:40 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Give them a try.

Personally, I’m not generally fond of them, as I have a longish torso, and the tension in the straps cramps the boys. They’re also a hassle at bathroom stops.
I have a pair of bibs from Kucharik (sadly, no longer in business) that has a 'privacy flap' - basically a horizontal overlapping flap that stays closed by itself (no zipper) and makes bathroom stops so much easier! It's absolutely brilliant, and I sometimes wonder why other bib makers don't copy the design.
EDIT: the flap is for #1 stops only. You still have to remove your jersey and drop 'em for a #2 stop.
Old 09-23-22, 10:09 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,840 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I have a pair of bibs from Kucharik (sadly, no longer in business) that has a 'privacy flap' - basically a horizontal overlapping flap that stays closed by itself (no zipper) and makes bathroom stops so much easier! It's absolutely brilliant, and I sometimes wonder why other bib makers don't copy the design.
EDIT: the flap is for #1 stops only. You still have to remove your jersey and drop 'em for a #2 stop.
I had some jerseys from Kucharik. So comfortable, like wearing a favorite old tee shirt. Still have some toe warmers. The website is still going. Are you sure they are out? I had heard that, too.
Old 09-23-22, 10:21 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I had some jerseys from Kucharik. So comfortable, like wearing a favorite old tee shirt. Still have some toe warmers. The website is still going. Are you sure they are out? I had heard that, too.
We used to make a run to his shop every 6 months or so. Great spot, especially if you’re into wool.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 09-23-22, 11:51 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Yes, they have retired and no longer are making anything new. The website is basically selling out whatever stock they have left.
Old 09-23-22, 12:08 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,840 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Yes, they have retired and no longer are making anything new. The website is basically selling out whatever stock they have left.
That explains the limited selection of colors and sizes. Lots of wool there.
Old 09-23-22, 12:31 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
The cost of Bibs has gone down. Years ago they were to expensive to be an economical purchase. I ended up sewing suspenders to my bike shorts just to keep them from slipping down below my gut.

It's nice to hear somebody finding a bike related purchase they are satisfied with...