Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

shortening chain without a breaker

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-22, 08:51 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts

my dumb-ass didn't realize that the 12 speed (shimano) chains on my newest bike don't fit in the chain breaker tool i have.

the interwebs says a hammer and nail will do it over a hole, but all i have to show for that is a lot of bent nails. no sign of movement. is my AM ride a lost cause or does anyone have a suggestion for hammering out a pin without a chain breaker? of course tomorrow is sunday so nothing will be open until 10/11am!

CN-M8100 chain.
Old 08-27-22, 09:00 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6942 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
A hammer and nail? No way, no how, would I ever mangle a chain like that.

This is why you need multiple bikes. Mess one up, just ride another one.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-27-22, 09:10 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
my dumb-ass didn't realize that the 12 speed (shimano) chains on my newest bike don't fit in the chain breaker tool i have.

the interwebs says a hammer and nail will do it over a hole, but all i have to show for that is a lot of bent nails. no sign of movement. is my AM ride a lost cause or does anyone have a suggestion for hammering out a pin without a chain breaker? of course tomorrow is sunday so nothing will be open until 10/11am!

CN-M8100 chain.
Hammer and nail, 12 spd chain, you're kidding, right?
Likes For HelpSingularity:
Old 08-27-22, 09:25 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by HelpSingularity
Hammer and nail, 12 spd chain, you're kidding, right?
serves me right for googling!
Old 08-27-22, 10:48 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
If your bike is that new how is it that you need to change the chain so soon?
Old 08-27-22, 11:05 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by alcjphil
If your bike is that new how is it that you need to change the chain so soon?
it has about 3,000 miles on it. gets filthy/sandy/dusty/grimy after almost every ride so i figured i’d try drip wax. picked up a new chain and the plan was to remove the old one, thoroughly clean the drivetrain, clean the sticky factory grease off the new chain, install, drip wax, let set overnight, ride.

did all the cleaning, went to pop a bunch of links off the new chain and realized i couldn’t. whatever kinds of chain you can hammer a pin out of, this wasn’t one of them. fished the old chain out of the trash, scrubbed it, soaked it, scrubbed some more and put it back on. lame.
Old 08-27-22, 11:17 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Time to order a new chain breaker!!

What did you have behind the chain when you were trying to hammer the pin out? What tools do you have?

You could try to grind down the outer plate on the side you're working on slightly before pounding out the pin. Make sure you have a hole, or nut, or something behind the chain when attempting to pound out the pin.

Any chance you would have a finish nail set punch? Any other punch?

Screws may be tougher metal than nails. I suppose if one is desperate, one might try grinding a punch out of a small screw driver.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 08-27-22, 11:25 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Time to order a new chain breaker!!

What did you have behind the chain when you were trying to hammer the pin out? What tools do you have?

You could try to grind down the outer plate on the side you're working on slightly before pounding out the pin. Make sure you have a hole, or nut, or something behind the chain when attempting to pound out the pin.

Any chance you would have a finish nail set punch? Any other punch?

Screws may be tougher metal than nails. I suppose if one is desperate, one might try grinding a punch out of a small screw driver.
yep. new breaker en route.

i put the link to be popped through top of a socket, with two wood boards of matching height to the sides. tried a nail, then a short screw, then a nail set. the result of the latter was bent chain plates with zero apparent movement of the pin!

i might have been able to grind the plate one one side of the pin enough to get it into the chain breaker, but obviously i’d only want to do that on the side being removed.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 08-28-22, 02:20 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
I’m surprised the nail set didn’t work, and I’m assuming you had it on a fairly small socket so that you weren’t just flexing the chain. Sounds like you need a bigger hammer.
Grinding the head a bit then hammering might work, but how much grinder dust do you want to get on the new chain?

Edit: If you’re bending the side plates then you have the chain over too large a hole.

Sounds like it’s time to put the old chain back on until the new tool arrives.
Old 08-28-22, 09:26 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
A hammer and nail? No way, no how, would I ever mangle a chain like that.

This is why you need multiple bikes. Mess one up, just ride another one.
To try this is one thing but to then admit to it on the interwebs?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-28-22, 09:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
To this day I still use a hammer and a cold punch. However you have to position the pin over a hole in something to be driven into. You can use a steel nut if the hole is just big enough for the pin.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-28-22, 10:58 AM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by cxwrench
To try this is one thing but to then admit to it on the interwebs?
i thought this was a safe space! i’m kidding, i know it’s not. it’s BF

and yes… old chain is back on. hole in the socket was probably too big, leading to the plates flexing which might also bind the pin at the top. as for a bigger hammer ….. IDK, i pounded the carp out of the thing, enough to significantly bend the plate.

i watched a few videos of people doing this and by comparison the others just popped out.
Old 08-28-22, 11:22 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Keep an eye on that link. (Can you now find it?) I would consider it compromised and likely to break in a hard standing climb or the like. The strength of chains comes from the exact fit of a cylinder inside an exact fitting hole of a parallel plate. That bent plate is no longer parallel. Broken chains can lead to: slamming your knee very hard against your handlebar, slipping off the pedal and goosing yourself. Crashing quite likely in those scenarios. (I typed "broken chins". Could lead to that too.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-28-22, 11:34 AM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Keep an eye on that link. (Can you now find it?) I would consider it compromised and likely to break in a hard standing climb or the like. The strength of chains comes from the exact fit of a cylinder inside an exact fitting hole of a parallel plate. That bent plate is no longer parallel. Broken chains can lead to: slamming your knee very hard against your handlebar, slipping off the pedal and goosing yourself. Crashing quite likely in those scenarios. (I typed "broken chins". Could lead to that too.)
it doesn’t flex anywhere near smoothly anymore at that link. if i use that poor chain it’ll have to be 2 links shorter.
Old 08-28-22, 12:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
You could buy another chain that you'll need in a few years anyway and just size it, then use the links leftover from that to replace the buggered up links on your current chain. Or just use a few links out of the old chain.
Old 08-28-22, 12:12 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Best way to break a chain without a chain breaker is to pay a shop to do it with their chain breaker.

Also, as someone who hasn't bought a new chain breaker since the 8 speed era yet has no trouble with 9, 10, or 11 speed chains, why won't it work for 12 speed?
Old 08-28-22, 02:31 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Best way to break a chain without a chain breaker is to pay a shop to do it with their chain breaker.

Also, as someone who hasn't bought a new chain breaker since the 8 speed era yet has no trouble with 9, 10, or 11 speed chains, why won't it work for 12 speed?
a bit difficult at 10pm on a Saturday night!

the 12 speed links physically don’t fit in the breaker. You can partially jam them in at an angle but obviously the screw won’t push the pin out at an angle. Apparently the plates are just slightly larger...
Likes For mschwett:
Old 08-28-22, 04:33 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
a bit difficult at 10pm on a Saturday night!

the 12 speed links physically don’t fit in the breaker. You can partially jam them in at an angle but obviously the screw won’t push the pin out at an angle. Apparently the plates are just slightly larger...
I can't for the life of me figure out why your chain 'won't fit in the chain breaker'. Makes no sense, the inner dimensions are the same and the pitch is the same, the plates are actually thinner.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-28-22, 06:21 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by cxwrench
I can't for the life of me figure out why your chain 'won't fit in the chain breaker'. Makes no sense, the inner dimensions are the same and the pitch is the same, the plates are actually thinner.
the chain tool is actually advertised as working up to and including 12 speed. i do note that many are listed as only working up to 11 speed, but i dunno (obviously) which aspect is limiting that. this is the chain tool:

the plates do not fit between the curved metal surround which keeps the chain in place and centered on the pin. it's the dimension below, not the pitch (obv the same) or the width (which wouldn't matter at all.)

for what it's worth, the only other chains i've ever used it on, with zero issues, are SRAM 11 speed chains.
Old 08-28-22, 10:24 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Looks like you, unfortunately, as you have already found, have a 12 sp design chain tool that won't take the Shimano "DYNAMIC CHAIN ENGAGEMENT+" (cough, cough) design with the larger side plates. Buying a chain tool is complicated these days but I think most all 12sp compatible tools without the enclosed link style setup will work, or you could grind off the upper lip of the chain tool you have.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 08-28-22 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-28-22, 10:54 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Looks like you, unfortunately, as you have already found, have a 12 sp design chain tool that won't take the Shimano "DYNAMIC CHAIN ENGAGEMENT+" (cough, cough) design with the larger side plates. Buying a chain tool is complicated these days but I think most all 12sp compatible tools without the enclosed link style setup will work, or you could grind off the upper lip of the chain tool you have.
Is this a Shimano design or is this a trend for all 12-speed chains?

I'm still dabbling with 10 speed systems, so now I have something to look forward to.
Old 08-28-22, 11:01 PM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by MudPie
Is this a Shimano design or is this a trend for all 12-speed chains?

I'm still dabbling with 10 speed systems, so now I have something to look forward to.
Ha ha, don't know if it's just Shimano as I just discovered this now. Maybe will be obsolete in a year or two or maybe all chains will use this design in the future. I'm still waiting for my 10sp to wear out.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 08-29-22, 09:39 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Ha ha, don't know if it's just Shimano as I just discovered this now. Maybe will be obsolete in a year or two or maybe all chains will use this design in the future. I'm still waiting for my 10sp to wear out.
the 12 speed shimano chains have been around for 3 years or so - considering that they didn't change them at all for 12 speed dura ace, they're probably here to stay for a while. a very annoying little misadventure but i can't think of too many other situations where the exact size of the plates in that dimension would matter.
Old 08-29-22, 10:39 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
When I was a kid, we used to break chains with a hammer, nail set (punch, whatever you call it) and a large nut (as in one that threads to a bolt). Place pin over nut and knock it rhrough with the hammer and nail set. Maybe I used nails back then, but in my mind it was a nail set with an end that was just a tad smaller in diamerter than the pin.

Now, since I've had a chain tool since about 1970, I have absolutely no idea if it would work with a modern chain. And when i got the 12 speed bikes components, I bought a new chain tool at the same time. It's not only suitable for 12 speed chains, it works on all the chains and is actually easier to use than the inexpensive tools I've been using for many years, mainly because it's got larger handles.

Someone above asked if it was only Shimano. Our bikes are Sram AXS and IIRC, I read early in the process of putting them together that they needed a tool suitable for 12 speed, so I don't believe it's only Shimano. I might have even eyeballed my old chain tools with the 12 speed chain and could tell it wouldn't work correctly.
Old 08-30-22, 09:12 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
I have one of THESE ("Cyclo Rivoli") that I bought over 50 years ago. It works on all my bikes (9-speed maximum), but I see there's a newer version that may work with narrower chains.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.