Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

2003 SRAM Spectro S7 IGH… what grease?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-22, 08:30 PM
boneshaker78
Commuting Fool

Bikes: 1988 Miele Azsora, 2022 State All-Road 4130, 2003 Jamis Coda Comp, 1983 Specialized Expedition, 1994 Norco Monterey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 39 Posts

Does anyone have a good suggestion for the type of grease used inside a SRAM Spectro S7 internal gear hub? I’ve heard people using Shimano Nexus IGH grease, marine grease, wheel bearing grease. SRAM recommends some grease they make with a part number that yielded very little in a search result. I would imagine you would use wheel bearing grease for the bearings in the races, but it appears they use a different viscosity grease elsewhere. Also, I have some Phil Wood oil and I’ve heard it is recommended as well, but how and where would you apply it?

This whole grease and oil thing has become quite the investigation. This is a reply I received from someone at SRAM.

Thank you

Last edited by boneshaker78; 09-15-22 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-16-22, 06:51 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked 1,817 Times in 1,057 Posts
Impressed SRAM responded.

PETAMO GHY 133 N is described as a "high temperature grease". If the S7 hub doesn't have a coaster brake, it doesn't need grease formulated for high temperatures.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for the type of grease used inside a SRAM Spectro S7 internal gear hub?

Like other IGH manufacturers, Sturmey-Archer (IGHs since 1902) sells lubricants with their own part numbers on them, but (and it's a big but) unlike the other IGH manufacturers Sturmey is upfront about the commercial equivalents. Sturmey uses at the factory and recommends NLGI #2 for the axle bearings and labyrinth seals (I use StaLube Marine) and NLGI #00 semi-fluid* grease for the clockwork (I use John Deere Cotton Picker Spindle grease).

Top tip: Don't be stingy with it.

*NLGI #00 semi-fluid grease will flow like oil under a bit of pressure and will wick via capillary action into the interface between rotating elements.

Last edited by tcs; 09-16-22 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-16-22, 05:35 PM
boneshaker78
Commuting Fool

Bikes: 1988 Miele Azsora, 2022 State All-Road 4130, 2003 Jamis Coda Comp, 1983 Specialized Expedition, 1994 Norco Monterey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Impressed SRAM responded.

PETAMO GHY 133 N is described as a "high temperature grease". If the S7 hub doesn't have a coaster brake, it doesn't need grease formulated for high temperatures.

Like other IGH manufacturers, Sturmey-Archer (IGHs since 1902) sells lubricants with their own part numbers on them, but (and it's a big but) unlike the other IGH manufacturers Sturmey is upfront about the commercial equivalents. Sturmey uses at the factory and recommends NLGI #2 for the axle bearings and labyrinth seals (I use StaLube Marine) and NLGI #00 semi-fluid* grease for the clockwork (I use John Deere Cotton Picker Spindle grease).

Top tip: Don't be stingy with it.

*NLGI #00 semi-fluid grease will flow like oil under a bit of pressure and will wick via capillary action into the interface between rotating elements.
Thank you for the reply, I was beginning to lose hope.

The hub has a drum brake, the whole thing is very foreign to me. Would I need high temperature grease because of or for the drum brake? How should I maintain the drum brake?

I purchased the Shimano Nexus grease for the delicate internals and I was going to use Phil Wood waterproof grease for the bearings and seals. The owners manual instructs you to put a few drops of oil in a select number of places as well, I was going to use Phil Wood Tenacious oil. Where are the labyrinth seals anyway? What do they look like?

I really appreciate the help. This seems like an obscure bicycle topic.
Old 09-16-22, 06:16 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked 1,817 Times in 1,057 Posts
Originally Posted by boneshaker78
The hub has a drum brake, the whole thing is very foreign to me. Would I need high temperature grease because of or for the drum brake?
IMO the drum has enough mass and surface area that the special hi-temp grease shouldn't be needed.

I purchased the Shimano Nexus grease for the delicate internals and I was going to use Phil Wood waterproof grease for the bearings and seals.
That ought to work just dandy.

Where are the labyrinth seals anyway?
Uh...yeah, sorry. That's a Sturmey thing you don't have to worry about.
Likes For tcs: