Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Dam Jam

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-07, 07:34 PM
doctor j

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Dam Jam

Our informal weekend bike group rode in the Dam Jam today in Pryor, OK. Some of us had planned to do the century, and others had planned to do the 70- and 50-mile routes. Due to the distinct possibility of severe weather later in the day, the organizers scrubbed the 70-mile and 100-mile rides. We finished the day with 58 miles. It was raining during most of those 58 miles, but fortunately, there was no lightning, thunder, or tornado sirens, and the winds were nil to light.

The organizers of the Dam Jam did a really nice job. SAG, rest stops, and road markings were first rate! A local Ham Radio club provided communication along the route. They did a great job as well. I am a Ham Radio op myself, and I always enjoyed being able to put my hobby to work to help other people.

Given the crappy weather. several of our group didn't come, and some opted for a 30-mile route. Five of us rode the 58-mile route. Interestingly enough, the group of five had six flats! Two people had two apiece, and two others one each. Me and Ol Fuj cheated death, no flats. Someone along the route mentioned that flats are more prevalent in the rain. I've never heard of that before. Today's evidence would support that. Has anyone else ever heard this about more flats in rain?

There were some nice views of the lakes in the area, a few rolling hills, and one bugger of a hill which required the use of my new 28-tooth granny gear. Glad I had it. Also, I swapped out the 11-tooth high gear on the new 11-28 cassette with the 12-tooth form the old 12-24, and that worked well too.

I'll be looking forward to Dam Jam next year, hopefully with better weather conditions. Kudos to the organizers, sponsors, and volunteers who made it happen. They did a great job.
Likes For doctor j:
Old 09-09-07, 05:05 PM
NotAsFat
as I used to be

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's some pretty country around Pryor. I thought about doing the Dam Jam, but my schedule didn't work out right for it. Maybe next year.
Old 09-09-22, 06:29 AM
Londonsworld 

Bikes: 71 American Eagle Olympiad, 03 Trek 5200 P1, 2013 Trek 6 series Domane, 83 Apollo branded Kuwahara, 78 Trek TX 300, 73 Nishiki Intl. 86 Nishiki Prestige, Nishiki Olympic, 72 and 73 Nishiki Safari', two-speed Electra BMX cruiser 1, 87 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 38 Posts
September 10th Dam Jam.....I am driving from Grove to Pryor, Ok. Looking forward to see a lot of riders.
Old 09-11-22, 02:54 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
I didn't make it this year, but I have ridden the Dam Jam in the past (75 mile route). Great ride, very well organized and very pleasant scenery. And yes, that very memorable hill about three-quarters of the way through does give one quite the sense of accomplishment when you get to the top!
I hope to make it next year. See you there!
Likes For Oldguyonoldbike:
Old 09-11-22, 05:03 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,626 Times in 2,915 Posts
I can’t find any direct evidence about an increase in flats in the wet but my own experience has taught me the likelihood increases.

When you think about it, when tires are wet, glass or debris is more likely to stick to the tire and create a puncture. As an all weather commuter, a disproportionate number of flats occurred in wet conditions. I now pretty much avoid riding in the rain because of the additional threat of flats but then when the weather is bad I have a smart trainer too. Glad you were lucky.