Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Same fit for all rides?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Same fit for all rides?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-20, 04:17 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Same fit for all rides?

What is the purpose of a bike fit? Ideal comfort? Ideal power? Ideal performance? Are those mutually inclusive? Mutually exclusive?

should we fit our bike one way for 50, 60 or 100 mile road rides but change the fit for shorter gravel rides? One fit for flat rides but change for hilly climbing rides?

I have just one bike, change the wheels and tires for gravel and use typical wheels and tires for road.

If if I got a professional bike fit, should that set up be ideal for any and all rides on that bike?

I rides, don't race. logged 3400 miles in 2019, on road and gravel.

Last edited by rbrides; 03-22-20 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-22-20, 06:37 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
You are asking the right questions. Some might require a therapist.

No one size fits all. You have to have a goal or goals, and something will have to be compromised on.
Old 03-23-20, 10:40 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
IME one fit for everything. I use the same standard road fit for all my bikes, all my rides from spirited group rides to touring. That said, if one had a short commute, I think a slightly more upright fit would be better, optimized more for easy terrain scanning than for comfort and performance, and thus a different bike with fat tires for curb climbing.
Old 03-23-20, 11:23 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
The purpose of a bike fit is to find the right balance between aerodynamics, power output and comfort, so if you use your bikes differently, it follows that you will have different fits for different bikes. As an extreme example, your hour time trial bike will have a very different fit than the beach cruiser that you use for short rides around town. I have a bunch of bikes and they all fit a little differently depending on what I use them for. Some of my bikes even have different stems that I swap depending on the duration and intensity of the ride.

I've personally never had a professional fit, but I think it's a good idea in 3 cases. 1) You're new to cycling and need some help or want some advice setting up your bike 2) You're racing and want to eek out every available watt of performance 3) You're having some discomfort and are unable to resolve it on your own through trial and error
Old 03-23-20, 11:56 AM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
My bike fit is emphasized on comfort, means I can ride any distance without too much pain anywhere in my body .

I also never had a professional fit but all my road bikes are set up the same or very similar, but it took me years and many long rides to perfect it. I even had to change my headset for a lower stack headset on my endurance bike and get a -17 degree stem to set it up closer than my "race" bike for comfort reason.
Likes For Andrey:
Old 03-23-20, 12:39 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

thank you
Old 03-23-20, 12:39 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Thanks
Old 03-23-20, 12:40 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

thanks
Old 03-23-20, 09:09 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Of course not. Same position on a TT bike and a single speed cruiser?

Road bike and mountain bike?

The fit should be to get the best balance of the things that matter for the activity.

For an all around bike, an all around riding position.

It's pretty common to change things over the season e.g. bars higher early, lower & possibly longer later when fitness & flexibility improve.

What Kingston said.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 03-24-20, 07:29 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Fitt will be different depending on the usage... However, one thing's for sure, it will always prevent injuries on the long run.

Your body will also change over time - your fitt too.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 03-25-20, 09:23 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrides
I have just one bike, change the wheels and tires for gravel and use typical wheels and tires for road.

If if I got a professional bike fit, should that set up be ideal for any and all rides on that bike?
I would think the "fit" of a bike would vary quite a bit depending on the nature of the use of that bike.

Ditto Kensington's comments above.

Myself, I've got a couple of bikes. One requires a bit of a stretched-out, more forward-leaning riding position, with a much longer (56cm) top tube that's used for commuting. Whereas, the other bike is for a nearly-upright riding position, with a much (50cm) shorter top tube and swept/riser bars and stem that's also intended for urban commuting. Two different riding positions, each bike's format matching the riding style/posture intended, even though both are used on similar roads for commuting. Still, just based on the riding position of each, the formal "fit" is quite different between the two.

Years ago, I had a more-upright postured bike that was completely suited to commuting around town, but it was wholly inappropriate and incapable on the dirt trails of the nearby fields. That riding posture, alone, simply couldn't cope with the inclines, let alone all the other little inefficiencies that bike's format created on those trails. A swap of wheelsets wouldn't hardly have addressed those issues.

Assuming, though, that your riding position and riding "style" (aggressiveness, weight balance, etc) isn't all that different from one activity to the other, then in your case perhaps just a swap of wheels would accomplish what you're looking for. I suppose, then, a single fit could result in a given bike being capable of handling the best compromise possible on that bike.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 03-25-20, 11:22 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
I would think the "fit" of a bike would vary quite a bit depending on the nature of the use of that bike.

Ditto Kensington's comments above.

Myself, I've got a couple of bikes. One requires a bit of a stretched-out, more forward-leaning riding position, with a much longer (56cm) top tube that's used for commuting. Whereas, the other bike is for a nearly-upright riding position, with a much (50cm) shorter top tube and swept/riser bars and stem that's also intended for urban commuting. Two different riding positions, each bike's format matching the riding style/posture intended, even though both are used on similar roads for commuting. Still, just based on the riding position of each, the formal "fit" is quite different between the two.

Years ago, I had a more-upright postured bike that was completely suited to commuting around town, but it was wholly inappropriate and incapable on the dirt trails of the nearby fields. That riding posture, alone, simply couldn't cope with the inclines, let alone all the other little inefficiencies that bike's format created on those trails. A swap of wheelsets wouldn't hardly have addressed those issues.

Assuming, though, that your riding position and riding "style" (aggressiveness, weight balance, etc) isn't all that different from one activity to the other, then in your case perhaps just a swap of wheels would accomplish what you're looking for. I suppose, then, a single fit could result in a given bike being capable of handling the best compromise possible on that bike.
Thanks for your well-reasoned and rational input. That all makes sense.
Old 03-25-20, 11:24 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Thank you!
Old 03-25-20, 11:24 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Yes, of course. Thanks
Old 04-02-20, 08:34 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I think most people will agree that bar position relative to the saddle will change drastically depending on application. Commuting vs crit racing vs group riding vs gravel epics all will demand various degrees of long/short, wide/narrow and high/low.

I think what is more contentious is whether saddle position and crank length ought to vary depending on application. Of course, you have some external considerations like fixed gear crit bikes needing shorter cranks for corner clearance or TT bikes needing shorter cranks to allow for breathing and pedaling in a flat back position. But barring those, I think there are many who think there exists a perfect, optimal saddle position that works for all applications.

I don’t believe that to be true. I think, for longer, slower rides, you’d want to be further back and low (think beach cruiser) and for harder, hillier or shorter rides, you’d want to be slightly further forward and up - maybe even slightly tilted. In the end, the range of power you can deliver doesn’t vary all that much. So you’re not going to need drastic changes to saddle position. But I personally believe there are optimizations and compromises to be made.
Old 04-03-20, 06:46 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 806 Times in 407 Posts
Proper fit is critical for overall comfort and performance, and though a professional fit can greatly improve both of these, there is no one-size-fits-all formula. It can take years of riding and occasional adjustments until you find what you think is the perfect fit. I had been riding for some 15 years, and thought I had finally gotten my bike set up right, then an old coach recommended that I change my seat position slightly. The change felt awkward at first, but it made large difference in my performance. I guess that is why teams hire coaches.

It is a good idea to experiment with different adjustments, because even when you think you have found the perfect fit, you still might be able to improve it.