Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is your solution for riding in a spot with low reception?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is your solution for riding in a spot with low reception?

Old 08-03-20, 06:11 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3652 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Dreamy, if you decide to get a bike and ride outside, plan a route that's easily navigated. Tell your mom where you are going and when you expect to return. She'll come for you, assuming she wants you back....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-03-20, 06:43 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
My honest advice? If it bothers you and you have someone waiting on you back home......give them a copy of your route and tell them "if you don't hear back from me by XX:XX......come looking".

My routes always will have a passer by and I always have reception. But, no matter what you do........bikes, hiking, etc............when you don't have reception it is a good idea. Even in the days before cell phones, if you were going out somewhere solitary it was a good idea to tell folks "hey, I'm going to go do XXX tomorrow from around lunch to 3". Then it is "hey, Bob said he was going hiking yesterday but didn't show up to the card game..........maybe we should check in". Then you avoid the whole bit about a documentary of a guy sawing his own arm off to escape from a fall in a rock or something.

There's nothing "htfu" about that. It's called caring for people.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-03-20, 08:31 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I ride with my cell 100% of the time, and with a single earbud playing music or talk radio 100% of the time when I'm on solo rides, not because my rides are boring, but because I like music and talk radio. The cell is always in my right jersey pocket, and never in the saddle bag, just in case I crash, break a hip, and can't get to the bike, which could be down a ravine. This way I have easy access to the phone to call emergency medical services. I also solo mtb in the foothills of the Rockies, and always lose cell reception, that's where I get a little nervous, because the terrain is so technical, and sometimes desolate, so a damaging (to me) fall could mean I'm there for hours before anyone else comes by, if ever, so I've been considering a sat. phone just for this scenario. I believe there's one that will send your gps coordinates and a preloaded emergency message to a loved one, at the push of a single button, "I've fallen and I can't get up!".

Last edited by Riveting; 08-03-20 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-03-20, 09:00 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I'll admit that I do carry a phone when I ride. It's there for emergencies, and I have used it to call by boss and my wife immediately after a bad crash on my way to work a couple of Junes ago. A passerby phoned 911 for me. I was a bit out of it initially.

Or, if my wife expects me home at a certain time and I have a mechanical of some sort, I can let her know how or if plans will change.

Finally, my wife and I sometimes meet up halfway through a ride, and then finish the ride home together. Phones are helpful if something goes wrong on one person's end of things. We wouldn't be doing this outside of cell coverage, though.
Old 08-03-20, 09:16 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
LOL this is another first-world issue. How did I ever survive my childhood without a cell phone???
Old 08-03-20, 09:31 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You care enough to carry a phone.
I do, but only for the camera function!
Tim
Old 08-03-20, 09:38 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
A lot of lot rides are in country rodes and often times there’s no cell phone service. What is your plan?
What was your plan before cell phones existed?

If you had one. Use that plan.

If it scares you that you may not get reception when you are out riding somewhere then maybe, just maybe, biking isn't for you.

Last edited by prj71; 08-03-20 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-03-20, 10:04 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Since I'm one of the last persons around who never had a cell phone, I suppose I wouldn't notice any difference!
Old 08-03-20, 10:05 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
LOL this is another first-world issue. How did I ever survive my childhood without a cell phone???
Those that didn't survive their childhoods aren't here to answer this question.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 08-03-20, 10:12 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
To take selfies with, obviously!
--- Like, Obvy !!!
Old 08-03-20, 10:20 AM
joseruivo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like for instance what you gonna do if you were hit by a car and can’t ride? Don’t you need a phone?
You need a SIM card from an alternative cell network that might have coverage there. Either use a dual SIM phone with a pay as you go/prepaid SIM from the alternative network(s), or a second phone, or just replace one SIM card with another if/when you need it.

I use two phones, one with Strava beacon, and one with Google Maps location sharing, so my wife can track me and find me if I stop at certain point and neither come home nor answer the phone for hours - like because I'm lying down on the road after an accident - or if I need/want her to go meet me at that exact point on the map, because I had bike breakdown, found a perfect place for diner, or whatever. Two different cell networks, because often I've been at places where one of them (or both) did not work.
Old 08-03-20, 10:23 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I follow the same basic plan for every ride.
When I get on the bike I start pedaling and continue to pedal until the end of the ride.
Has worked for myself and millions of other cyclists for a hundred years
Old 08-03-20, 10:31 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Tell your mom where you are going and when you expect to return. She'll come for you, assuming she wants you back....
Play it safe: Invite Mom to ride too.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 08-03-20, 10:44 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Just enjoy the ride.
Old 08-03-20, 10:52 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Believe it or not people actually lived before cell phones. If you are worried about getting lost, they have these paper things called maps. The great thing about them is they work anywhere, and dont need batteries.
Old 08-03-20, 11:24 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
I follow the same basic plan for every ride.
When I get on the bike I start pedaling and continue to pedal until the end of the ride.
Has worked for myself and millions of other cyclists for a hundred years
Yes but what happens when if you get a flat ??...Don't you need a cell phone with a special cycling app to tell you what to do next ??
Old 08-03-20, 11:26 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Believe it or not people actually lived before cell phones. If you are worried about getting lost, they have these paper things called maps. The great thing about them is they work anywhere, and dont need batteries.
How many modern humans even own a paper map or know how to read one ??
Old 08-03-20, 11:27 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Like for instance what you gonna do if you were hit by a car and can’t ride? Don’t you need a phone?
You're overthinking. Ride and enjoy.
Old 08-03-20, 11:29 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by Koyote
If some motorist is gonna run me down, he/she better have the good grace to call 911 for me.

Those of us who grew up in another era - when phones were all attached to walls with wires - are not so dependent on cell service.
Amen
Old 08-03-20, 11:34 AM
phughes

What do you do if you get injured and can’t ride? There’s no app?
How do you make it through the day?
Old 08-03-20, 11:54 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
How many modern humans even own a paper map or know how to read one ??
(raises hand)

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-03-20, 11:58 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
What do you do if you get injured and can’t ride? There’s no app?
Flag down a passing cyclist or motorist?

If it bothers you, limit your riding to areas with good reception. But bear in mind that millions of cyclists rode with no cell phones for decades, and the ones who had accidents generally found a way home.

What if you have an accident and fall on your phone in an area with good reception?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-03-20, 12:00 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
I ride with my cell 100% of the time, and with a single earbud playing music or talk radio 100% of the time when I'm on solo rides, not because my rides are boring, but because I like music and talk radio. .
Me too -- mine sits on one of those stem top carriers

But for those saying --- "We rode long before there were cell phones !" -- True , -- but that was also a time when pay phones were prevalent - (not if youre really in the boondocks ) but payphones were at any roadside pit stop 20 years ago
Old 08-03-20, 12:10 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
What a bunch of judgemental idiots! Nothing wrong with being able to communicate and have help available should something get out of hand. I enjoy long solo hikes and bike tours sometimes in fairly remote areas. Also, I have people who care about me and enjoy a check-in on a regular basis for this I use a SPOT satellite communicator to send a breadcrumb trail, to allow for all ok messages daily and an emergency button linked with worldwide emergency services should that be required.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 08-03-20 at 12:57 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 08-03-20, 12:22 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Back when I was squandering my youth, I spent the better part of many summers just bumming around the country in my pickup truck with a bunch of camping and backpacking gear...Completely out-of-touch for a month (or longer) at a time. It never occurred to me that being disconnected, and unreachable, would be a problem -- rather, it was great. Most of my friends didn't have as much free time, so I would often end up meeting someone in the middle of my travels. Sometimes a person would fly into a city, so I would plan to be nearby and would go to the airport; once, my sister was meeting me in Alaska during the middle of my trip, and so on the appointed day I packed out of the Denali NP backcountry, caught a ride to the train station, and fifteen minutes later the train rolled up and she hopped right off. Once, a friend and I were each travelling, and we made plans to meet at a certain state park that neither of us had ever visited; on the planned date, I showed up, picked out a campsite, started reading a book, and an hour later (and weeks after we had last spoken), my friend drove up.

Somehow, we accomplished all of this without phone contact. We also managed to repair our vehicles, treat our wounds, procure food, etc.

I sometimes share some of these stories with my students, who are all 18-22 yrs old and treat their cell phones as appendages. When I suggest that they are not necessary for modern life, they look at me as if I've suggested that they don't need oxygen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.