Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

30 days of biking leads to 6 months

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-20, 08:41 AM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts

Due to COVID I have been working from home since mid-March and have pretty much canceled all social events for the spring, summer, and fall. The upside was I felt I could complete the 30 days of biking in April. I've never even tried it before because although I ride plenty there's always a day or two out of town or whatever that keeps me off the bike. But this year I was able to do it. And I kept going through May, then June... So last night I completed 6 months of riding every day. The only time I have been away from home for more than a day was a road trip the Great Smokey Mountain National Park. We rented a minivan and took the bikes along. Of course now I worry about when and how the streak will end. I might just end it myself to get it over with. Although... theoretically I could go a whole year... There might be a couple days of "Hey, Kid! Yeah, you! Five bucks if I can borrow your bicycle for a few minutes? No, come back!"

Untitled by Bob W, on Flickr
Untitled by Bob W, on Flickr
Likes For reverborama:
Old 10-01-20, 10:04 AM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
Very nice! I really enjoy doing streaks like this. I switched over from running to cycling at the end of 2019. I had been doing a streak which is fairly common in the running community, get in a mile a day everyday (although my daily average was over 5 per day). I've switched that over to cycling and now do at least 15 minutes a day on the bike. For my own purposes I would run a mile if I didn't have a bike available. I know some folks think the whole daily thing is silly but I really enjoy it.
Old 10-01-20, 10:59 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
That's great, a shout out to you! I will say if there's one thing positive about this COVID thing is the amount of cycling I was able to do. I normally play hockey in the fall/winter and then cycle in the summer but this year it was all cycling after march. I did over 100km/week and did 500 km in June and July. Starting to slow it down a little as the weather cools and the days get shorter. Not sure I can keep up that pace during the winter on Zwift, but will give it a try.
Old 10-08-20, 02:47 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Congratulations on the "streak." Nice, when everything works out well.

I'm dealing with some old injuries, at the moment, and putting a bike project into shape. But once that one's built and ready to go, I'm hopeful that I will be biking at least an hour a day daily, unless serious winter inclement weather intrudes. Just need the derailleurs, chain and cabling, then it'll be done.
Old 11-30-20, 03:14 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Welp, did a ride on the Minnesota River Bottoms today which extends the streak of riding every day to 8 months. With the current "pause" issued by our governor and the latest surge in cases we're not going anywhere anytime soon. If I can keep from getting sick I will keep going for the foreseeable future. Honestly, there isn't much else to do! I haven't used the indoor trainer for at least 6 months but will probably need to fire it up if the weather gets particularly ugly.
Old 11-30-20, 10:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
What a streak! Incredible. Congratulations

Old 12-01-20, 09:09 AM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
I ride everyday for at least an hour. Take off a day if wife needs me to help her. It just becomes a habit.
Old 12-13-20, 09:29 AM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Argh! The streak is broken. I had so many things to to do yesterday I forgot to go for a bike ride. I realized it when I woke up this morning.

227 days isn't bad. And I am thankful that the streak was broken by forgetfulness and not an accident or illness. It was going to happen eventually. Heck, just a week into it I was involved in a hit and run and left with a pretty nasty scrape on my leg but I managed to keep riding. I just have to make sure I don't gain back the 20 lbs I lost over the summer. Going out for a ride right now.
Old 12-15-20, 07:31 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
When I first read the thread title I thought, uh oh. Guy rides for a month and somehow he gets 6 months in the slammer. Glad it turned out far better and you didn’t have to raise bail.