Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic disc brakes: 90/180 degree pieces

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-14-20, 07:17 AM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Hi,
I'm considering replacing Avid BB-7s for some (Shimano) hydraulic disc brakes on my semi-recumbent tandem. The way the brake levers are arranged, brake cables/hoses are required to make a tight 180 degree turn coming out of the levers (setup similar to how Azub does it on their recumbents). With cables, I've been able to use some cable pull adapters for that.

Is there anything similar for hydraulic disc brake hoses?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-20, 11:26 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
how tight is this turn? with hydraulics, you can make some pretty tight bends because you don't have to worry about the cable binding up due to friction in the housing because it's fluid in there. but if it's a REALLY tight bend, you might end up damaging the hose.
Old 10-14-20, 12:07 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I just looked at the Azub website and the pictures I saw all show the brake cable (?) coming out of the lever and making a reasonable loop to point back down the handlebars.
Old 10-14-20, 08:31 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
how tight is this turn? with hydraulics, you can make some pretty tight bends because you don't have to worry about the cable binding up due to friction in the housing because it's fluid in there. but if it's a REALLY tight bend, you might end up damaging the hose.
This would be to go from brake lever into the end of a handlebar piece, so radius of about an inch?

@ClydeClydeson: I don't have that space unfortunately. It would interfere with the front seat of the tandem (or the canopy of the cargo box that is in its place at the moment)