Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fast 32mm clincher tire with tan sidewall

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-20-20, 08:44 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts

I have to replace some road tires on one of my bikes and defaulted to 32mm Conti GP5000, but wanted to check in to see if anyone rides a 32mm tan wall road tire that they like which is similar in weight/speed/puncture as a GP5000.
$50/tire or less, preferably.
Old 11-20-20, 08:52 PM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
The gravelking slicks might fit the bill. In spite of having gravel in the name they're pretty roadie.
Likes For Marylander:
Old 11-20-20, 09:01 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Vittoria might have a Corsa that covers that, I know that they have 'em in a 28mm.
Old 11-20-20, 09:08 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Based on my experience with their 35mm tires, I'm gonna suggest these...Though they're above your price point, they might be worth it.
Old 11-20-20, 09:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Vittoria might have a Corsa that covers that, I know that they have 'em in a 28mm.
Thanks. There seem to be 16,341 versions of the Corsa, so I'll dive in. Its a Friday and im looking at tires...I have the time.
Old 11-20-20, 09:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Koyote
Based on my experience with their 35mm tires, I'm gonna suggest these...Though they're above your price point, they might be worth it.
My price is admittedly arbitrary. i can get a pair of GP5k for $80, so i added a bit on top of that for other tire options.
I've been curious about Compass RH tires for years, but haven't taken the plunge. Their standard casing is certainly light enough and if that means a bit less sidewall wear, it could work.
More reading to do.
Old 11-20-20, 09:27 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
My price is admittedly arbitrary. i can get a pair of GP5k for $80, so i added a bit on top of that for other tire options.
I've been curious about Compass RH tires for years, but haven't taken the plunge. Their standard casing is certainly light enough and if that means a bit less sidewall wear, it could work.
More reading to do.
I was in the same boat: curious about RH, but put off by the prices. Finally bought the 35mm Bon Jon Pass tires -- so, I've got different ones, and mine are set up tubeless, while the 32mm tires must be used with tubes. But I will say that the 35mm tires are smooth, sure-footed, and durable (I don't think I've gotten a puncture yet - but if I have, it must've sealed up immediately).

They also seem to be holding up well: I'm at 2400 miles, and -- though it's hard to judge such things -- I'd guess that the rear tire has at least 300-400 miles left (perhaps more), and the front has probably not even reached its half-life. For supple, high-performance tires, that's not bad.

They are also very well-made. We've both used the WTB Resolutes, and I've gotten used to some wide manufacturing variance with those -- in particular, the tread is never applied evenly to the casing, which might explain why they are usually noticeably out-of-round. But the RH tires (sample size of 2, anyway) seem pretty much perfect.
Old 11-20-20, 09:40 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Soma Supple Vitesse SL, or EX for a bit thicker tread. I got a couple of sets this summer on a lark when the 700x23 were heavily discounted at $14 each. Wish I'd bought more, and other sizes that were similarly discounted. Outstanding tires for the money, even at full price.

I figured our freshly chipsealed roads would tear 'em up quickly -- it's the roughest chipseal I've ever ridden, and the road crews left lots of small, sharp loose gravel everywhere. But at only $14 each I figured it was worth the risk.

After more than 500 miles there was little discernible wear on the front and surprisingly little on the rear. The squarish "tread" mostly serves as wear indicators but none of 'em were worn bald. No nicks or cuts either. Paired with latex tubes the ride was terrific.

The sidewalls are more of a cream than tan color. For the past year I've mostly ridden Continental GP Classic skinwalls with reddish-brown sidewalls, which I really like. The Soma are at least as good and maybe a bit better.
Old 11-20-20, 09:53 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I have been running Panaracer Gravelking Slick 35s on my steel bike, and they are surprisingly fast - while I am sure they are in fact slower than my Turbo Cottons or RapidAirs, that difference isnt really noticeable when riding. And they are fairly light and also have a very nice ride quality.

I have ordered a pair of the same tires in a 32 as well.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 11-20-20, 10:53 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I have Bontrager R3 tubeless ready 32mm with Brown sidewalls on my Domane and they are really nice and are $55

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-20-20, 11:00 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 95 Posts
Another +1 for the Panaracer GK slicks. I built up my first 1x/all-road and opted for the GK in 38s and I barely notice any penalty of riding on much wider tires when compared to the 25s on my other bikes. When I finally pull the trigger for a Ti frameset, I'll be going with the same tires, but in 32s. Aesthetically, one of, if not the best looking tan side-walled bike tires available.

A gratuitous shot of the GK 38s the Mrs. took. These are also tubeless compatible which I’m switching them to this week.

Last edited by primov8; 11-22-20 at 09:51 PM.
Likes For primov8:
Old 11-24-20, 09:06 AM
Laseranimal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
With all the recommendations for the Gravelkings can anyone compare them to a GP 4 season in terms of puncture protection/rolling resistance/weight?

I've got 28mm 4 seasons on now and they really puff out to about 31mm once inflated. Ride is nice but I'm really liking the tan sidewalls of the gravelkings and was wondering if anyone had a comparison
Old 11-24-20, 10:03 AM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Laseranimal
With all the recommendations for the Gravelkings can anyone compare them to a GP 4 season in terms of puncture protection/rolling resistance/weight?

I've got 28mm 4 seasons on now and they really puff out to about 31mm once inflated. Ride is nice but I'm really liking the tan sidewalls of the gravelkings and was wondering if anyone had a comparison
I had Gravel King slicks in 28 one one bike and Conti GP4000 in 25 on the other bike. Both tires measured about the same on Campagnolo and Mavic wheels, about 27-28 mm(Conti GP400 ran very large). Wear of both tires were about the same. I think I had one puncture in Conti and one puncture in GK. Ride quality was very close also.
The difference was in top speed. At about 20-22 mph of above GP4000 felt much faster than GK tires, it was easier to sustain high speed with Continental tires for much longer.
Now I have Michelin in 28 on that bike and they also feel "faster" than GK tires at high speed. When Michelin tires wear I think I will opt for Continental GP5000 in 32, although they are not available in tan sidewall yet. GK slicks in 32 with tan sidewall look very nice, though.

Many years ago I ran Conti 4- season in 28 and I was really disappointed with those tires, because they were very narrow(more like 25mm) and wore very fast. Also sidewall was delaminating fast on them. Hopefully new 4-seasons are much better.
Old 11-24-20, 05:42 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
If I had to have tan, I'd reduce requirement to 30mm and go with Corsa Controls.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 11-24-20, 07:04 PM
RockiesDad

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
I think my next tire purchase will be the Conti 5k with tan sidewalls. I have black 5ks now and they ride pretty nice. I was really impressed with them on hard packed gravel. Sometimes I check my tires thinking they are somewhat flat due to their comfy ride. Might be the Fairlight steel frames we ride though...
Old 11-24-20, 08:45 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
I think my next tire purchase will be the Conti 5k with tan sidewalls. I have black 5ks now and they ride pretty nice. I was really impressed with them on hard packed gravel. Sometimes I check my tires thinking they are somewhat flat due to their comfy ride. Might be the Fairlight steel frames we ride though...
They only made a limited run of those and they were only 25mm.
Old 11-24-20, 09:55 PM
RockiesDad

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by yarbrough462
They only made a limited run of those and they were only 25mm.
Dang I missed the fine print. That's a bummer. I bet they would sell a lot if they made those in different sizes...
Old 11-24-20, 10:31 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Dang I missed the fine print. That's a bummer. I bet they would sell a lot if they made those in different sizes...
I’d be a customer...
Old 11-24-20, 10:57 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Yeah, if they made em in 28 and 32, i wouldn't have started this thread and would own many sets for my bikes.
Old 11-25-20, 12:56 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Vittoria Corsa Control in 30mm is fast, but not long lived, definite go to on the road bike...Specialized Roubaix 30/32 are also fast, and after 5 sets over the last 6 years, I can tell you they rarely flat and they are very comfortable and handle really well, I run them tubeless on a gravel bike which sees plenty of road miles also.
Old 11-25-20, 06:40 AM
banana jam 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Conti 5000TL are a game changer for me. I like GK but they are limited to ~60 psi tubeless and coatis go much higher.
Old 11-25-20, 09:21 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I have a pair of those in the Extralight casing. Very light, insanely fast, with a ride quality that is sublime. Puncture resistance is about average In my experience.

I only removed them to move up to the 35mm version (Bon Jon Pass).
Old 11-25-20, 10:18 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I have a pair of those in the Extralight casing. Very light, insanely fast, with a ride quality that is sublime. Puncture resistance is about average In my experience.

I only removed them to move up to the 35mm version (Bon Jon Pass).
Are you using the BJP in the Extralight or Standard? I am using the Standard casing, but am curious about the Extralight. Would like the (even) better ride quality, but not if the tires are super-fragile.
Old 11-25-20, 10:48 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Are you using the BJP in the Extralight or Standard? I am using the Standard casing, but am curious about the Extralight. Would like the (even) better ride quality, but not if the tires are super-fragile.
I have owned 4 sets of Compass/RH tires in Extralight casings (one 32mm Stampede one 35mm Bon Jon and two 38mm Barlows).

Stampedes I got about half a tread life out of before swapping them out, the Bon Jon and one Barlow I rode til they were worn out, and I am now a little ways into another Barlow. Life span of the tread seems about average.

The sidewalls are pretty thin, so I imagine thet are more prone to tear. However, I ride a mix of pavement and gravel, and in 7 years never damaged a sidewall on any of them.

Tread is decently thick, and not any more fragile than any other high performance tire. I have always had good luck avoiding punctures on any tire I run, and these have been no different.
Old 11-25-20, 10:55 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I have owned 4 sets of Compass/RH tires in Extralight casings (one 32mm Stampede one 35mm Bon Jon and two 38mm Barlows).

Stampedes I got about half a tread life out of before swapping them out, the Bon Jon and one Barlow I rode til they were worn out, and I am now a little ways into another Barlow. Life span of the tread seems about average.

The sidewalls are pretty thin, so I imagine thet are more prone to tear. However, I ride a mix of pavement and gravel, and in 7 years never damaged a sidewall on any of them.

Tread is decently thick, and not any more fragile than any other high performance tire. I have always had good luck avoiding punctures on any tire I run, and these have been no different.
This is the info I was after, so thank you.

I use those tires on a bike that is ridden mostly on pavement and a bit on dirt and mild gravel roads. Sounds like the Extralight casing might work for me. At the prices they charge for those tires, though, I don't want to make a mistake.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.