Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Reynolds carbon assault on Van Nicholas Blaze tyre rub!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-22, 03:44 PM
DVD23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hi everyone.
New to this forum and after some advice.

I recently purchased a Van Nicholas Blaze which came with Reynolds carbon assault wheelset tubeless ready.

After reading the data specification on the frame its states that it can take a 700x23c max on the rear as to accommodate the cut out on the seat tube. Unfortunately with this size tyre it still rubs... Am I missing something or is it to do with rim width?

Don't really want to keep riding on 20c tyres as they are hard to come by and really don't suit the riding I'm planning to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ThanksDan

Oh and if you have any gp4000 700x20c DM me I'll buy them for the meantime 🤣

Old 01-16-22, 03:51 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Try a different brand 23mm until you find one that fits.
Old 01-16-22, 04:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Were the specs you read specifically for that year model frame? If not, then there is your answer.

Nothing will change what it is unless you want to modify the frame and that's going to be big bucks.

Perhaps maybe a tubular tire might be a slightly smaller circumference in the same size width if there is such a thing for tubulars. But I only know how to spell tubular and have never used them.

Just more guessing but on those drop outs is it intended for the axle to bottom out in the slot or should the QR be clinched lower where the tire might not rub... albeit will still be tight. disregard. I just saw the pic that shows the better view of the dropout.

And, are you certain the frame wasn't intended for 650's?

Last edited by Iride01; 01-16-22 at 04:10 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-16-22, 05:00 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The label "700Cx23" is just a general reference and not a specific dimension. Real tire dimensions depend on rim width and how the company decides to measure their tires. There are many examples of labeled "sizes" drifting both larger and smaller than that label number would suggest.

Too bad you bought a bike with such a limited ability to run tires with greater functions than what came stock. Andy
Old 01-17-22, 03:34 PM
DVD23

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Try a different brand 23mm until you find one that fits.
I'll give that a go thanks 👍
Old 01-17-22, 03:35 PM
DVD23

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Were the specs you read specifically for that year model frame? If not, then there is your answer.

Nothing will change what it is unless you want to modify the frame and that's going to be big bucks.

Perhaps maybe a tubular tire might be a slightly smaller circumference in the same size width if there is such a thing for tubulars. But I only know how to spell tubular and have never used them.

Just more guessing but on those drop outs is it intended for the axle to bottom out in the slot or should the QR be clinched lower where the tire might not rub... albeit will still be tight. disregard. I just saw the pic that shows the better view of the dropout.

And, are you certain the frame wasn't intended for 650's?
Thank you for your help. Regarding the skewers that's not a bad shout I'll look further into this.

Definitely intended for 700c

Cheers
Old 01-17-22, 03:37 PM
DVD23

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The label "700Cx23" is just a general reference and not a specific dimension. Real tire dimensions depend on rim width and how the company decides to measure their tires. There are many examples of labeled "sizes" drifting both larger and smaller than that label number would suggest.

Too bad you bought a bike with such a limited ability to run tires with greater functions than what came stock. Andy
Yeah I get you mate shop I visited had a similar outcome I'll try a narrower rim width you never know.

Does suck about the limitations but bike is so nice to ride. Might just have to grin and bare the 20c until I find another resolve.

Cheers
Old 01-17-22, 04:40 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
I can't tell from the photos but it looks like it's rubbing more at the top of the seat tube dimple than the bottom. Try clamping the QR a little lower in the dropout to move the wheel lower a couple mm. If it works you could make a semi-permanent spacer to stay on the dropout or axle.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 01-17-22 at 04:54 PM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 01-17-22, 07:40 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
That's a pretty bike, but I'm having a hard time imagining that any wider tire that fits that rim will clear the seat tube. The bike may have been designed for 700c wheels, but *could* the rear be 650?
Trivia: Van Nicholas started out as "Airborne" and morphed through "Flyte" on the way to its present state.
Old 01-19-22, 12:04 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
Oof, rough. Besides the good suggestions already presented, you can try the old trick of adding some "shims" to the top surface of the rear dropouts such that when the wheel is installed, the shims push the axle lower. I think there's a commonly used term for this but I hope I've articulate a clear enough explanation.
Old 01-19-22, 12:59 AM
DVD23

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for all your help/input I'll take all these suggestions and see what I can do. I'll post up any progress incase someone in the future needs similar advice 👍
Likes For DVD23:
Old 01-22-22, 09:07 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD23
Hi everyone.
New to this forum and after some advice.

I recently purchased a Van Nicholas Blaze which came with Reynolds carbon assault wheelset tubeless ready.

After reading the data specification on the frame its states that it can take a 700x23c max on the rear as to accommodate the cut out on the seat tube. Unfortunately with this size tyre it still rubs... Am I missing something or is it to do with rim width?

Don't really want to keep riding on 20c tyres as they are hard to come by and really don't suit the riding I'm planning to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ThanksDan

Oh and if you have any gp4000 700x20c DM me I'll buy them for the meantime 🤣

If you bought the bike recently, can you return it? Close tire clearances are one thing, but that’s ridiculous. If I received that frame, my conclusion would be “You made the chain stays too short - send me another”
Old 01-22-22, 09:14 AM
DVD23

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
If you bought the bike recently, can you return it? Close tire clearances are one thing, but that’s ridiculous. If I received that frame, my conclusion would be “You made the chain stays too short - send me another”
It was made in 2012/14 mate, I bought it second hand but in the process of checking everything i.e frame for cracks dents etc I overlooked the tyre size 20c 🤦
Old 01-24-22, 11:46 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
Contis (at least the 4000s) run wider so perhaps another 23mm tire can clear it. Schwalbe Ultremos (or the current equivalent) might work.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 01-25-22, 09:30 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
There is also this site which will give measured tire heights of the tire mounted and inflated. Road Bike Tires Test Results | Bicycle Rolling Resistance You may have to pay a small fee to get the info you need. They used to offer this for free but It's a lot of work to get all this info together so fair enough. Anyways, buried in all the info will have the "Measured Height" listed. Probably won't be exactly the same for rims that are different width than yours but you can compare the differences of yours to other tires to find out as they use the same rims for all measurements. Anything with a 2mm+ lower Height would probably work. Also if they don't list specs for 23's just compare the 25mm width of yours with other brand's 25's to get an idea. Also pay attention to whether you're looking at the Tubeless or tubed versions listed.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 01-25-22 at 09:37 AM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 01-25-22, 09:45 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
The bike may have been designed for 700c wheels, but *could* the rear be 650?
That's where I'd go. 650b conversion.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 01-25-22, 10:00 AM
DVD23

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Amazing thanks mate I'll check it out, as you says it's surprising the difference between brands 👍
Old 01-25-22, 10:01 AM
DVD23

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'll also look at 650b could be an option thanks 😊
Old 01-25-22, 12:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I have not researched 650B tire selections in the narrower ranges lately, When i last looked into the sub 35mm wise options I had not found much, if any actually available. It seems to me that the reason to swap to 650B is to significantly change the nature of the bike's ride. The usually much wider tires (from common 25/28s to 38+) is much heavier, typically runs half+- the air pressure and often mounted on a heavier and wider rim. The bike's feel slows down (note I said feel, not a timed measurement), the minor road vibrations smoothen out and the big ones loose some of their "height" and the steering loses some quickness what with a larger contact patch (with its more rounded shape) and greater rotating mass. I'll also add that caliper brakes lose some leverage (what many call power) due to the pads being close to 19mm further away from the frame mounts.

So in my view the reason to change to 650B wheels is not to gain tire clearance but to gain tire width. This is fine if you want a slower feeling bike that is more stable on the less ideal surfaces. I'm not sure if the OP has this goal in mind.

Horses for courses. This 650B swap thing to me is like taking a sports car and lifting the ride height just so you can run wheels/tires with greater aspect ratios. Can it be done, yes. Will the car feel like a sports car still? Not really. Or taking a 4 wheel drive pick up (made to handle a plow blade) and putting low aspect ratio tires on it so it drives more car like. In both cases I would offer that the vehicle is the wrong one for the new need.

Of course, I see full suspension MtBs with 1.25 tires on them at some club rides Andy
Old 01-25-22, 01:05 PM
DVD23

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I have not researched 650B tire selections in the narrower ranges lately, When i last looked into the sub 35mm wise options I had not found much, if any actually available. It seems to me that the reason to swap to 650B is to significantly change the nature of the bike's ride. The usually much wider tires (from common 25/28s to 38+) is much heavier, typically runs half+- the air pressure and often mounted on a heavier and wider rim. The bike's feel slows down (note I said feel, not a timed measurement), the minor road vibrations smoothen out and the big ones loose some of their "height" and the steering loses some quickness what with a larger contact patch (with its more rounded shape) and greater rotating mass. I'll also add that caliper brakes lose some leverage (what many call power) due to the pads being close to 19mm further away from the frame mounts.

So in my view the reason to change to 650B wheels is not to gain tire clearance but to gain tire width. This is fine if you want a slower feeling bike that is more stable on the less ideal surfaces. I'm not sure if the OP has this goal in mind.

Horses for courses. This 650B swap thing to me is like taking a sports car and lifting the ride height just so you can run wheels/tires with greater aspect ratios. Can it be done, yes. Will the car feel like a sports car still? Not really. Or taking a 4 wheel drive pick up (made to handle a plow blade) and putting low aspect ratio tires on it so it drives more car like. In both cases I would offer that the vehicle is the wrong one for the new need.

Of course, I see full suspension MtBs with 1.25 tires on them at some club rides Andy
Yeah I agree. To be fair the bike itself is built for speed and as you say I do t think 650b option will fit the character of the bike. Another member of this group has kindly said he'd sell me a pair of gp4000 20c for the time being. At least that can match the gp5000 23c I'm running upfront. Staggered setup I know but better than nothing. Be good to get some decent 100 milers in the tank and see how harsh the ride is with 20c. Tha KS for your insight/help.

Cheers
Old 01-25-22, 05:18 PM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 140 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but that looks suspiciously like a TT frame.
Old 01-25-22, 09:42 PM
DVD23

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mackers
Correct me if I'm wrong but that looks suspiciously like a TT frame.
Yes it is a TT frame mate 👍
Old 01-26-22, 05:15 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
As for a 650b conversion, Continental makes a GP5000 in 25mm and 28mm.

The main issue would be a lower BB if you swapped out front and rear, which you want to do to keep any semblance to your current geometry.

A theoretical 20-700 has a diameter of 662mm. A 28-650 is 640mm. Basically 11mm lower. There might be a pedal strike concern.

I have no idea on the impact to bike performance. Much has been written on the subject that seems to indicate performance improves with width, up to a point I imagine.

John

Edit added: Having ridden 700x20 years ago and now riding 700x25 and 700x28, (on the same bikes), I haven’t noticed a significant difference with the higher BB effect. It is smaller at 5/6mm and 8mm, but the bikes seem to handle as well.

Last edited by 70sSanO; 01-26-22 at 05:28 AM.
Likes For 70sSanO: