Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Carradice of Nelson: new ownership

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-22, 06:34 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked 1,815 Times in 1,055 Posts

The venerable Carradice company, makers of traditional waxed cotton cycletouring gear, has been sold to another British outdoor bag company.

https://www.kbscorporate.com/kbs-cor...ine-of-nelson/

There's been no announcement that I know of for any changes @ Carradice, beyond 'further growth'.
Old 03-29-22, 10:24 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Thanks for posting. Looks like the future owner is a manufacturer of drybags and other waterproof items.

I suspect an expansion of the Carradry product line might occur.

But I wonder if they will retain the hand made cotton bags currently sewn in Nelson. If I was shopping for such a bag, I would hurry to buy in case they are discontinued. I have the Pendle and the Nelson Longflap bags already. I am not shopping for more.

I suspect most of the people looking at this thread will not be familiar with Carradice.

Photo of my Pendle below, I did not like the bag hanging forward where my legs tapped it on every pedal stroke, so I added a stem (with appropriate shim) to the seatpost, a piece of wood dowel sprayed black for the lower bag strap. My DIY stem attachment holds the bag further back and a bit more upright. The way I set this up would not work if your saddle was much lower, as the bag could touch the rear fender or wheel.

If anybody is shopping for a bag like this, Carradice also sells a selection of brackets to hold the bag if your saddle does not have saddle loops, or as shown above my saddle lacks such loops but the springs will function as such. Some of those brackets hold the bag up much higher if your saddle is much lower than mine shown above.

Just yesterday I made a quick shopping trip for a few small items, they fit fine in the Pendle bag shown above.

I have the rear Carradry panniers also, photo below.

Old 03-29-22, 10:33 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Thanks for posting. Looks like the future owner is a manufacturer of drybags and other waterproof items.

I suspect an expansion of the Carradry product line might occur.

But I wonder if they will retain the hand made cotton bags currently sewn in Nelson. If I was shopping for such a bag, I would hurry to buy in case they are discontinued. I have the Pendle and the Nelson Longflap bags already. I am not shopping for more.

I suspect most of the people looking at this thread will not be familiar with Carradice.

Photo of my Pendle below, I did not like the bag hanging forward where my legs tapped it on every pedal stroke, so I added a stem (with appropriate shim) to the seatpost, a piece of wood dowel sprayed black for the lower bag strap. My DIY stem attachment holds the bag further back and a bit more upright. The way I set this up would not work if your saddle was much lower, as the bag could touch the rear fender or wheel.

If anybody is shopping for a bag like this, Carradice also sells a selection of brackets to hold the bag if your saddle does not have saddle loops, or as shown above my saddle lacks such loops but the springs will function as such. Some of those brackets hold the bag up much higher if your saddle is much lower than mine shown above.

Just yesterday I made a quick shopping trip for a few small items, they fit fine in the Pendle bag shown above.

I have the rear Carradry panniers also, photo below.

I should get a long flap. I want one. lol...
Old 03-29-22, 01:13 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked 1,815 Times in 1,055 Posts
Carradice Nelson Longflap in (dark!) green waxed cotton duck, mounted on Carradice Bagman Q/R with (largely unnecessary) support struts:

Old 03-29-22, 03:11 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I was digging lunch out of the Nelson Longflap, thus all the food scattered about.

And it was big enough for the 1.5 liter bottle inside it too. Don't forget to bring your corkscrew.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 03-31-22, 01:18 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 150 Posts
Handmade by Christine, love that touch.