Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ti or Steel or Stainless

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ti or Steel or Stainless

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-22, 08:38 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Do either of the two most common stainless steel tubing options apply to your comment?
That comment is silly. In fact, if you look at lot of titanium bikes, they are much heavier than you would think - and thus, the weight difference between the two materials is not major. And the hardness of SS is similar to "regular" steel (XCR).
Old 04-04-22, 07:12 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10959 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
That comment is silly. In fact, if you look at lot of titanium bikes, they are much heavier than you would think - and thus, the weight difference between the two materials is not major. And the hardness of SS is similar to "regular" steel (XCR).
Oh, its completely absurd. Basically any material, if not up to spec, creates the chance it will not perform well. Steel, aluminum, carbon, titanium, etc. Its why there are various types of each material in this world- they each perform differently for given uses.
Just like if a stainless steel frame uses steel that isnt up to spec, if a carbon frame isnt up to spec then that sets the rider up for disaster.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-04-22, 08:49 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
(post deleted)

(My apologies, I succumbed to the dreaded BF "see an erroneous statement and immediately post pointing out the error without checking to see if anyone else has already made your point"-itis. My bad.)

Last edited by noimagination; 04-04-22 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-04-22, 09:50 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Yeah, if it were our top tubes I'd totally assume that was the cause (not that either of us sweat copiously, but it probably doesn't take a lot...). But the end of the downtube by the bottom bracket doesn't get an awful lot of sweat on even the hottest, most humid days. The most plausible explanation I've come up with is leaky water bottles...but still seems weird. Especially because it's on two different bikes with two different users and different water bottles. :::shrugs:::
Are they rusting from the inside? If water got down the seat tube it could be collecting at the bottom.
Old 04-04-22, 10:22 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
Are they rusting from the inside? If water got down the seat tube it could be collecting at the bottom.
They do seem to be rusting from the inside...but the question remains, how is the water getting in to the seat tube?*
And why isn't it just draining out of the bottom bracket drain hole?

*Not sure how plausible this explanation is, but it's certainly one of the more interesting suggestions: Someone once posited that road spray from the front wheel was getting forced into the S&S coupler ...and they mentioned that some framebuilders intentionally install this coupler backwards specifically to alleviate that problem. But I'm not sure I can convince myself that this is a likely candidate, given how rarely we ride on wet roads, and how much grease is slathered all over those S&S threads.
Old 04-04-22, 10:54 AM
guy153

They do seem to be rusting from the inside...but the question remains, how is the water getting in to the seat tube?*
And why isn't it just draining out of the bottom bracket drain hole?

*Not sure how plausible this explanation is, but it's certainly one of the more interesting suggestions: Someone once posited that road spray from the front wheel was getting forced into the S&S coupler ...and they mentioned that some framebuilders intentionally install this coupler backwards specifically to alleviate that problem. But I'm not sure I can convince myself that this is a likely candidate, given how rarely we ride on wet roads, and how much grease is slathered all over those S&S threads.
The hole in the BB shell below the ST may not be big enough so water can pool around it. Do you have fenders? Rain can spray up behind the seat and just drop into the seatpost. Depending on the design of seatpost (it's more the low cost steel ones that are just open at the top).
Old 04-04-22, 11:45 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 708 Posts
The hole in the BB shell below the ST may not be big enough so water can pool around it.
But if that were the case I would expect the BB shell to be rusting also, no? It isn't, on either bike.
It's just that short stub of the down tube, below the S&S coupler but in front of the BB shell, that's rusting. On two different bikes.
Weird, huh?
Old 04-04-22, 02:38 PM
guy153

But if that were the case I would expect the BB shell to be rusting also, no? It isn't, on either bike.
It's just that short stub of the down tube, below the S&S coupler but in front of the BB shell, that's rusting. On two different bikes.
Weird, huh?
Sorry DT/BB rusting, I thought you said ST/BB. I guess water could be getting in through the bottle cage holes or even finding its way down the DT from the HT (that junction is also vented). But hard to see how much would get into the HT-- it would have to go through the bearings!

The BB shell might be rusting on the part you can't see: its outer surface where it joins the DT. It's made of very thick metal so would take a long time to rust through. Whereas the DT will only be 0.9mm or 0.8mm thick at the join.
Old 04-04-22, 05:15 PM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Stainless steel has pretty much about the same stiffness as steel so performance will be about the same. It all comes down to design and build, right? Personally, I'd go with steel not stainless steel, I have not seen any pricing but suspect a good premium will come with the stainless tube set. OTOH, if you like the polished finish then go for it, but don't expect much difference over steel. Keep us posted.
Old 04-04-22, 05:39 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Chrome plated Paramounts back in the day were beautiful bikes.

A stainless steel Waterford make a great homage
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 04-04-22 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-05-22, 04:30 AM
guy153

Originally Posted by Steelman54
Stainless steel has pretty much about the same stiffness as steel so performance will be about the same. It all comes down to design and build, right? Personally, I'd go with steel not stainless steel, I have not seen any pricing but suspect a good premium will come with the stainless tube set. OTOH, if you like the polished finish then go for it, but don't expect much difference over steel. Keep us posted.
The actual tubes are about 3 or 4x the price. But framebuilders often charge proportionally much more for higher-end tubes than they actually cost. In this case it would be justified though as those stainless tubes are quite a bit harder to work with: extremely thin, hard to cut (and therefore wear out tools) and you need a back-purge to weld it.
Old 04-05-22, 07:15 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

The actual tubes are about 3 or 4x the price. But framebuilders often charge proportionally much more for higher-end tubes than they actually cost. In this case it would be justified though as those stainless tubes are quite a bit harder to work with: extremely thin, hard to cut (and therefore wear out tools) and you need a back-purge to weld it.
Again, most of the SS is not any thinner than regular steel. Columbus Spirit can actually be had thinner than any of the XCR stuff. That is the main benefit, it is as light as regular high end steel but a bit thicker and thus resists dents and such better.

And it can be lightweight (relative!). This is my bike and is 8.5kg. Granted the EKAR group helps as do the carbon bars and seatpost but I have seen plenty of Ti bikes that are well over 9.5 or even 10 kg with similar specs.

Old 04-05-22, 08:58 AM
guy153

Again, most of the SS is not any thinner than regular steel. Columbus Spirit can actually be had thinner than any of the XCR stuff. That is the main benefit, it is as light as regular high end steel but a bit thicker and thus resists dents and such better.
XCR is 0.6/0.4/0.6, which is the same as Spirit. I don't see any Spirit that's thinner. But you can get Reynolds 953 a bit thinner (0.5/0.3/0.5). In the case of 953, it's a bit thinner than 853 "Pro Team" which is 0.6/0.4/0.6, but the actual metal is insanely strong so yes you would get better dent resistance.

The problem at this level is coke-canning. Generally if the diameter is more than 50x the wall thickness you end up with a bit of a coke-can 0.5mm is exactly 1/50 of 25mm, about the traditional TT diameter (1 inch) and you can get 953 in that size (although the wall on that one is 0.58/0.38/0.58 for some reason). In theory 953 is so much stronger than 853 you could go even thinner wall. But if you did you would need to increase the diameter to get decent stiffness back, and then you would be well above the 50:1.

Yes there really isn't a huge amount of point bothering with these stainless tubes.

And it can be lightweight (relative!). This is my bike and is 8.5kg. Granted the EKAR group helps as do the carbon bars and seatpost but I have seen plenty of Ti bikes that are well over 9.5 or even 10 kg with similar specs.
Nice bike! Yes the difference in weight even between "low end" Columbus Cromor and Columbus XCR is pretty minimal. You're talking about 0.3mm shaved off the tubes basically.
Likes For guy153:
Old 04-05-22, 12:50 PM
vespasianus

XCR is 0.6/0.4/0.6, which is the same as Spirit. I don't see any Spirit that's thinner. But you can get Reynolds 953 a bit thinner (0.5/0.3/0.5). In the case of 953, it's a bit thinner than 853 "Pro Team" which is 0.6/0.4/0.6, but the actual metal is insanely strong so yes you would get better dent resistance.

The problem at this level is coke-canning. Generally if the diameter is more than 50x the wall thickness you end up with a bit of a coke-can 0.5mm is exactly 1/50 of 25mm, about the traditional TT diameter (1 inch) and you can get 953 in that size (although the wall on that one is 0.58/0.38/0.58 for some reason). In theory 953 is so much stronger than 853 you could go even thinner wall. But if you did you would need to increase the diameter to get decent stiffness back, and then you would be well above the 50:1.

Yes there really isn't a huge amount of point bothering with these stainless tubes.

Nice bike! Yes the difference in weight even between "low end" Columbus Cromor and Columbus XCR is pretty minimal. You're talking about 0.3mm shaved off the tubes basically.
Thanks. Honestly, I was a little surprised at how light the bike came out. I was expecting closer to 9-10 kg.

If you look at each tube separately, there are differences, but I agree, they are small. The thinest XCR top tube is 0.6 - 0.4 -0.6, which is the same as the Spirit top tube but the down tube and seat tube, are slightly different with the thinest section being 0.45 in the XCR and 0.40 in spirit, which I agree, are small differences.

And I would agree, while SS has some benefits, a good painted steel frame makes a great bike and is a lot cheaper than the alternatives.

And while this is in German, this was a comparison of some regular steel, stainless steel - both Columbus and Reynolds, and Titanium bikes. Take it with a grain of salt as geometry plays a huge different role with how a bike will ride but they have frame weighs that will give you a general idea of what bikes will come in at.

https://www.roadbike.de/rennrad/7-ra...roadbike-test/

Last edited by vespasianus; 04-05-22 at 01:09 PM.