Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Restoring friction shifter frictitiousness

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-22, 12:02 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts

My left-hand bar-con (I think it's a DuraAce) that shifts the big ring (it's a triple) is kind of low on friction. Even if I tighten the screw up rather tighter than feels right it tends to slip down a little when on the big ring. There is actually a click-point for the big ring but this isn't really a solution as it usually needs a bit of trimming anyway. Does anyone know how they work or have any tips for enhancing the frictiosity? I assume there's some kind of washer in there that is deliberately sandpapery or something? Can this be replaced or re-vulcanized or something?
Old 03-10-22, 12:27 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Stupid question, but is this one of the ones with the D-ring on the bolt that allows you to switch it from indexed to friction?
Old 03-10-22, 12:37 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Which version? Sure it’s a DA? Pics would help.
Older ones might be fixable but if it’s one of the later versions with sealed internals, likely toast.

BTW, all left side DA barcons are friction, there is no indexing option.

Bonus points for an excellent thread title!
Old 03-10-22, 01:28 PM
guy153

Originally Posted by himespau
Stupid question, but is this one of the ones with the D-ring on the bolt that allows you to switch it from indexed to friction?
The RH one has that feature but not sure the LH (which is where the problem is) does.
Likes For guy153:
Old 03-10-22, 01:33 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Oh duh, of course, you said left and I missed it. Those are friction-only. Was hoping somehow things had been mis-aligned halfway between friction and indexed and there would be a simple fix. Don't mind me, I'm just a bit slow sometimes (most of the time).
Old 03-11-22, 09:50 AM
guy153

Here are some pictures, first the basic shifter:

And this is how it comes apart:

It looks like the "friction" is achieved right on the outside. There are some little raised lumpy bits right on the end which sort of ratchet against those ribs on the inside surface of the screw that holds it all together:

A better picture of the screw, showing the ribs. These are the two surfaces that are supposed to rub together (and it does have a nice sort of clickety ratchety action):

But it looks like the lumpy bits on the inside of the shifter are basically kind of worn from use. So I don't know what can be done here. It might just work if I have the whole cable a bit slacker so that the lever is closer to being horizontal when in the big ring. That way there will be much less leverage trying to pull it back down.
Old 03-11-22, 05:09 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
You could experiment with washers - rubber or fiber? My first inclination would be to find a dense (as opposed to soft/fluffy) fiber washer and see if it works, thinking rubber might be too grippy. But while I was at the hardware store, I'd buy both for a nickel each, maybe various thicknesses if they have them.
If it's just plain friction, at the right amount, that you're looking for, that would be a low tech solution.

If not, check eBay. If you can't find a left/friction shifter that you like, buy a set at whatever price point that suits you and sell your right/indexed one - there will definitely be a market for that.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-11-22 at 05:12 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-11-22, 08:51 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Hunh.
You might want to try cutting a series of five or six narrow slots in both the bottom of the mounting bolt and the face of the shifter to increase the friction there.
But, honestly, suspect these are simply worn out and should be replaced. Plenty of good used ones out there.
Old 03-11-22, 10:07 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
You could experiment with washers - rubber or fiber? My first inclination would be to find a dense (as opposed to soft/fluffy) fiber washer and see if it works, thinking rubber might be too grippy. .

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=402
Likes For dedhed:
Old 04-06-22, 05:31 AM
guy153

An update to this. I've installed the shifter but with the cable a little bit slacker so that the big ring corresponds to it sticking basically straight out. In that position the cable has much less torque to pull it back. This works absolutely fine (and I think I suggested it earlier in this thread). So no need for a new shifter.

Riding with these shifters again I'd forgotten how nice the right-hand one feels. Old-school (so DT or barcon) but indexed probably the best feeling gear shifts of all time.