Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

3x drivetrain on road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

3x drivetrain on road bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-22, 07:47 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
If i want to buy a new station wagon, yes. The last American one sold was a rebadged German one that was dropped for the 2020 year We have the Outback, the VW if it is still being sold, and the high end German ones if they are still being sold. So for me it's mini and full sized vans. No SUVs and crossovers. Triples also, so no new bikes.
And the reason for that is ... the general public currently has very little interest in station wagons (or triple cranksets).
Old 05-29-22, 07:55 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
My man, you can't even keep track of how many p's are in the word "triple" and you expect me to believe that you know what sprocket you're riding in the back without checking religiously? Also that advice is still 3x more complicated than remembering to stay in the big chainring unless it's hard going uphill.
Does electronic shifting keep track of what gear you're in? If it does, I'm guessing since you got the hang of it, others can including Larry. What did you do before you had gear indication? I'm guessing you looked at your cogs to see what gear you were in.

Last edited by seypat; 05-29-22 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-29-22, 08:16 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
I look down quite frequently, I hardly ever know what gear I am in. And why should I care nominally? When it matters I look, otherwise I crank away in blissful ignorance.
Old 05-29-22, 08:57 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I agree based on what I see around me, but why is this the case? Are racers normally strong enough to not need the granny? It could just be everyone conforming to the norm, I think some people don't even know why they shave their legs and wear sunglasses over the helmet straps. Its just the way things are done.
With compact doubles and 11 or 12 speed clusters you can easily have a low gear that's lower than the road triples of the past. But to answer your question, sure, racers and/or very strong century type riders have been able to do everything on standard doubles.

My Ultegra triple came with a 30x25 low gear. Many modern compacts come with a 34x34.
Old 05-29-22, 09:00 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
How do you forget the number of chainrings on your road bike?
Riding a bike is just like riding a bike. It all comes back to you but you can't remember how many chainrings you have.

Old 05-29-22, 09:15 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
My man, you can't even keep track of how many p's are in the word "triple" and you expect me to believe that you know what sprocket you're riding in the back without checking religiously? Also that advice is still 3x more complicated than remembering to stay in the big chainring unless it's hard going uphill.
On some of my bikes I don't know unless I check religiously, but im so used to 3x7 that I always know what gear im in. I also know the number of teeth on all of my gears and can tell you exactly what ratio im riding. like 2-5 is 38x18 and I know this without having to think about it. Some people I ride with, who are very experienced, tend to cross their chain more than me. I'm very anal about chain crossing. Its usually when they stay in the big chainring and just go up the cassette without really thinking about it. Its hard to know if youre crossing your chain unless you are very aware of what gear you are in
Old 05-29-22, 09:25 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,882 Times in 6,088 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Good luck with trying to shift a triple from the middle ring to the granny under load.
Well, you can shift from the middle ring to the BB shell under load pretty easily....

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-29-22, 09:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

lol its easy to do this and thats part of the appeal.. its much easier to do this than a move in the cassette where you would have to move like 3 cogs to get the same effect. Also moving down gears is easier than moving up.
If you have brifters and a Hyperglide or equivalent cassette, it's WAY easier to shift the back under load. Just lighten your pedal stroke for half a turn and, and 3 clicks of the lever, and you're there. If you're trying to do it with DT levers and no Hyperglide, yeah, it sucks.

Old 05-29-22, 09:44 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
If you have brifters and a Hyperglide or equivalent cassette, it's WAY easier to shift the back under load. Just lighten your pedal stroke for half a turn and, and 3 clicks of the lever, and you're there. If you're trying to do it with DT levers and no Hyperglide, yeah, it sucks.
I killed both of my cheap hybrids (giant escape, 7 speed freewheel) by shifting under load in the last year and a half. One is probably not too bad to fix but the other's derailleur was destroyed, both bikes had the chain so badly jammed between the cassette and frame that i couldn't get it out. I used a chain brake tool to remove a link and was able to get one out, but the other I think is toast. Sure both bikes had other problems, but shifting under load was the nail in the coffin
Old 05-29-22, 10:08 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I agree based on what I see around me, but why is this the case? Are racers normally strong enough to not need the granny? It could just be everyone conforming to the norm, I think some people don't even know why they shave their legs and wear sunglasses over the helmet straps. Its just the way things are done.
Yes. Simple as that. Especially now with 11-34 cassettes, or even wider. With that, you can do something like Old La Honda with an average cadence in the mid 80s, in 25 minutes.

Old 05-29-22, 10:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I killed both of my cheap hybrids (giant escape, 7 speed freewheel) by shifting under load in the last year and a half. One is probably not too bad to fix but the other's derailleur was destroyed, both bikes had the chain so badly jammed between the cassette and frame that i couldn't get it out. I used a chain brake tool to remove a link and was able to get one out, but the other I think is toast. Sure both bikes had other problems, but shifting under load was the nail in the coffin
There's an old Henny Youngman joke that's appropriate here:
"I went to my doctor. I said, 'It hurts when I go like that.' He said, 'Don't go like that.'"

Old 05-29-22, 10:41 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I had a transition last weekend that was so abrupt that I lost my momentum before I could get to the end of my range and fell over. I got on the granny first and was trying to grind it out while moving up the cassette. Momentum stopped and I couldn't get a foot down fast enough. Got up, shifted the rest of the way to the end of the cassette, rolled down to the start, and went back up. Luckily, there were no other riders/bystanders to witness the fiasco.

Also slowly passed a teen walking up a hill with a skateboard. Looked down and I was climbing at 4.1mph. Slow enough that we had a conversation.
We did a pass climb on our tandem, ~110 miles into the ride, where the last 4 miles to the pass took an hour. 26/34 gear IIRC. I was 69, my wife 66, still young. Just keep turning the cranks, nothing to it, eh?
Old 05-30-22, 07:09 AM
N2deep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
but have you done the dirty dozen !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_...le_competition)

Not the organized race. The Dirty Dozen Race is an exceptional event for the young and talented, not old Fred's like me. Love watching this race!

Do they still put on the race? Is Danny still with us?

Last edited by N2deep; 05-30-22 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-30-22, 07:12 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Take a look at the ride profile that surak posted up thread. That would be some kind of fun with a 1X. Not really.
Looks exactly like my local terrain. 1x13 would work fine for me. I very nearly went down that route on my new bike, but ended up with a 2x12 which actually has slightly less overall range than the 1x13 I was considering. It does have tighter gaps on the cassette, but there really isn't that much in it. I wouldn't even consider a triple with a modern 11/12-speed drivetrain. Look at it this way - It would be the equivalent of you considering a 4x or even 5x setup on your bike.
Old 05-30-22, 07:23 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
You should try using this bike for your next climbing group ride instead of your single speed.
Old 05-30-22, 07:26 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It never ceases to amaze me how many people cling to the theory that bike manufacturers all conspire to produce 1x, disc brake, carbon frames etc., despite most cyclists preferring triples, rim brakes, and steel frames. It's like claiming the auto manufacturers all conspire to build SUVs, despite people really wanting station wagons.
Even more amazing is how people who haven't bought a new bike in decades try to tell you that their old bike is technically superior to anything on the market today.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-30-22, 07:31 AM
N2deep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
The alternative view is that there simply isn't enough overall demand for triples anymore to make them commercially viable. Mountain bikers are not interested in triples anymore, so that's a big market for triples gone almost overnight. Most roadies prefer doubles anyway and now you have wide-range 12-speed cassettes, demand for a triple has become pretty niche. I can see the appeal for some tourers, but I guess there aren't enough of them to interest the manufacturers.
Interesting points, however I believe the elimination of the triples is related to suppliers/manufacturers need to evolve the market and to keep new products on the shelf. I would not be surprised to see them polished-packaged and presented as the new snake oil in a few years. I love the 2X 11/12 speeds on road bikes but they suck in the mountains unless specifically geared but then they are no fun on the faster roads. IMHO, the triples are the best group sets ever
Old 05-30-22, 07:31 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I have a V8 German station wagon and a couple of bikes with triples on them.

Neither get much use these days.
Old 05-30-22, 08:04 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Looks exactly like my local terrain. 1x13 would work fine for me. I very nearly went down that route on my new bike, but ended up with a 2x12 which actually has slightly less overall range than the 1x13 I was considering. It does have tighter gaps on the cassette, but there really isn't that much in it. I wouldn't even consider a triple with a modern 11/12-speed drivetrain. Look at it this way - It would be the equivalent of you considering a 4x or even 5x setup on your bike.
Once the computer completely takes over shifting the FD, the industry will probably go this way. Things are getting crowded on the rear of the bike. The rider won't care as long as the ratios are provided. Even if they do, it won't matter. Evolution will happen, regardless.
Old 05-30-22, 08:35 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
Shimano still offers triple cranksets in road and mtb groups. I'm sure there are others.

I have a 1x on my mtb with an 11 speed cassette. I don't need a high gear for off road and I never noticed the big gaps in the cassette until I started doing some road rides on it. There, the gaps are dramatic.
Old 05-30-22, 08:49 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
I just LOVE the term Big Gravel, and had to try using it. My post was in jest, of course. But only half-so.
Your post offered no indication that it was in jest. No emoji, no 'jk', no sarcasterisks.
Not sure why you would think anyone would 'of course' view it in jest.
It's especially funny when you the asd in that only half was in jest. When you have to explain that much, it wasnt obvious.
Old 05-30-22, 09:27 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Ok, I'll play....
I like road triples. I especially like my Trek 5200 with the Shimano 6503 Crankset (52/42/30). It has never let me down or wanting for something else.
Old 05-30-22, 10:09 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 911 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I'm surprised to see people supporting triples on the forum. They were scoffed at in the past on these pages.
That is the current problem with these pages, indeed with BF, IMO. Too much scoffing.

F' scoffers.
Old 05-30-22, 10:36 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
I have had a couple of triples. Both were rigid mountain bikes. Both were primarily ridden off road. I almost never used the large ring, except as a bash guard. All of my current off road bikes are 1X. Both have 11-50 tooth cassettes. One is 11 and one is 12 speed. They both work just fine.

The tandem is set up as a 1X9 with an 11-50 Box cassette and a fairly small front ring. Absolute maximum pedaling speed is 28 MPH which is enough for how we use it.

My road bikes have always been doubles. Even when I lived where there were real mountains. Both of my current regular rides use a 39-52. One has an 11-27 and the other has an 11-32.

The only hills I ever see here on the plains are overpasses or parking ramps. These are both relatively short so they are not a problem.

What we do have is WIND. On a recent day we took the tandem out for a ride going into a 28/G40 wind. Rode this for 6 miles. Then we turned so the wind was our friend but not a direct tail wind.

Later that day I went out on the 11-32 bike for a group ride into the now 33/G44 MPH wind. This time for 8 miles before turning.

I never found myself wanting an easier gear and I never had to use the largest gear on the cassette except to get rolling.

For me, a triple is the answer to a question I have never asked. If you want one, go ahead and get one. I can see the attraction on a solo touring bike.

Very low gears for long steep climbs and high gears for places where you want to ride at a fast pace. But my 1X dinner plate on the tandem gives us pretty close to that, without having the front derailleur to deal with when I take it out of its cases and assemble it.

​​​​​​When I go touring it is on the tandem, and it is very rare that the practical limit of 25MPH is not sufficient.
Old 05-30-22, 11:05 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Riding my old bikes, I get why triples were popular BITD. Most of them came with 52/42 x 13-24 AT MOST. I replaced most of them with 13-26. I can do hills with those, but it's a chore and it can't be more than about 10 minutes or so. The one that came with 13-32 has yawning chasms between its 6 cogs, where I can choose between 110rpm and 80.

But now, with 10 or 11 speeds and 30, 32, or even 34t largest cogs, not to mention compact cranksets, I don't feel the need. At the moment, I don't want anything smaller than the 36x34 I have available on one of my bikes. I even find that too small on lots of hills where I use the lowest gear on the other bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.