Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Renting and riding in Algarve & Mallorca?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-19-22, 11:43 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts

In the process of planning a dream vacation for October that will include a few days in Lagos, Portugal and a few days on the Spanish island of Mallorca. In each case I'd like to rent a road bike and explore, as both are pretty much cycling paradise on earth and my SO is cool to chill by a pool in paradise for a couple hours each day while I get my zoomies out.

Questions for anyone who has been to either location: What rental shops did you use, what was your experience like, any can't-miss routes? For Mallorca specifically, where on the island should we be looking to stay? There are dozens of spectacular AirBnB options all over, and we'll probably have a rental car to explore, but we'd like to be somewhat close to good dining/beach options so maybe Palma?
Old 05-19-22, 12:21 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 1,426 Posts
My wife and I have been to Mallorca 4 times. Once with Santana Adventures in 2008 where we rode our tandem and the other three on our own staying at Club Son Antem that is a Marriott Vacation Club. We have another trip planned for next year.

IMO, Mallorca is ground zero for cycling and pro cycling. Most UCI world tour teams have a camp in Mallorca and there are numerous Sportiv’s, rides, tours and etc. The roads are generally good and the car traffic light in most areas but can be fast and aggressive although drivers like cyclists.

On all the trips, we packed and took our road bikes and for the Santana trip, the tandem. The cycling is so good, it seems like a crime not to experience it on ones own bike. However, rental shops are abundant and it is possible to rent really nice bikes. When we go next year, once again, we will take our road bikes. We will be there for 10 days.

Routes can be picked up on Strava and etc. The ride to Deia fro Palma over the Col du Sole is pretty amazing. The col has 33 switchbacks and the city of Deia is very picturesque. There are a couple of restaurants in Deia on the cliffs with views that will take your breath away. The other marquee ride is the ride to the Formentor that is on the other side of the island. Deia has a lot of climbing and the Formentor even more with tougher grades. The climb to the lighthouse is worth every pedal stroke.

There are other classic climbs on the island, and in general, the terrain is hilly and difficult. From Club Son Antem, we can ride south along fairly flat good roads to the sea, have a coffee and ride back for a solid 2 hour fast ride.

Since we have a 2 bedroom villa with kitchen, dining, barbecue and etc, we shop and eat many of our meals at the villa. Mallorca is very popular with German tourists so there are a lot of restaurants that cater to German tastes.

And there is another island Ibiza, between Mallorca and Spain that is noted for its club seen (dancing among other things) and beaches. On our trip, we may try taking a ferry to Ibiza.

There is a BF member who lives in Algarve. I will give him a mention in another post.
Old 05-19-22, 12:24 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

AlgarveCycling This thread needs your assistance. Thanks.
Old 05-19-22, 01:09 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by Hermes
My wife and I have been to Mallorca 4 times. Once with Santana Adventures in 2008 where we rode our tandem and the other three on our own staying at Club Son Antem that is a Marriott Vacation Club. We have another trip planned for next year.

IMO, Mallorca is ground zero for cycling and pro cycling. Most UCI world tour teams have a camp in Mallorca and there are numerous Sportiv’s, rides, tours and etc. The roads are generally good and the car traffic light in most areas but can be fast and aggressive although drivers like cyclists.

On all the trips, we packed and took our road bikes and for the Santana trip, the tandem. The cycling is so good, it seems like a crime not to experience it on ones own bike. However, rental shops are abundant and it is possible to rent really nice bikes. When we go next year, once again, we will take our road bikes. We will be there for 10 days.

Routes can be picked up on Strava and etc. The ride to Deia fro Palma over the Col du Sole is pretty amazing. The col has 33 switchbacks and the city of Deia is very picturesque. There are a couple of restaurants in Deia on the cliffs with views that will take your breath away. The other marquee ride is the ride to the Formentor that is on the other side of the island. Deia has a lot of climbing and the Formentor even more with tougher grades. The climb to the lighthouse is worth every pedal stroke.

There are other classic climbs on the island, and in general, the terrain is hilly and difficult. From Club Son Antem, we can ride south along fairly flat good roads to the sea, have a coffee and ride back for a solid 2 hour fast ride.

Since we have a 2 bedroom villa with kitchen, dining, barbecue and etc, we shop and eat many of our meals at the villa. Mallorca is very popular with German tourists so there are a lot of restaurants that cater to German tastes.

And there is another island Ibiza, between Mallorca and Spain that is noted for its club seen (dancing among other things) and beaches. On our trip, we may try taking a ferry to Ibiza.

There is a BF member who lives in Algarve. I will give him a mention in another post.
Thank you for the info! I'd definitely prefer to bring my bike, but our plans involve also spending a few days in a small apt in Lisbon, so between buying a case in the first place, lugging the case up 5 flights of stairs, and then paying the baggage fee on 4 separate flights, it just makes more sense to rent something locally and bring my essentials. Also 0% chance of damage in transit this way
Old 05-19-22, 03:14 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
When I went to portugal in 2018, I rented from this company https://www.cycling-rentals.com/ They'll ship to your hotel (in a HUGE box, it's all put together except for handlebar). In my case I was staying at my parents' house and they were able to ship it to a family member who owned a restaurant, since they don't ship to private residences or rentals. Bike wasn't super awesome, a fuji that definitely was well used, but it worked well for what I did. Unfortunately, my only experience riding is up north and central, but hope you enjoy your time there
Old 05-20-22, 03:59 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
The Algarve region of Portugal is indeed a beautiful place to cycle. It has magnificent scenery, plenty of open roads with a lot less traffic than many are used to elsewhere and a generally cycling-tolerant local population.

Lagos area...I can recommend three rental options and they largely depend upon what you intend to do.

Onebike is one of our LBS's with a great reputation that rents bikes, all types, road, MTB and e-bikes. They can deliver the bike to where you are staying. Rui is the owner. Based in Portimao.
https://www.facebook.com/onebike.pt/

Alternatively, Velochique is our premier cycling cafe and they also have a bicycle repair and rental centre plus an AA-style recovery service, based in the picturesque town of Monchique, owner is Lee, and he rents Trek road bikes and runs two weekly club rides and some guys from Lagos join us. Plus, if you are opting for road cycling here, Monchique and Velochique are must-visits; Monchique for the spectacular scenery and Velochique for the great food!
https://www.facebook.com/velochique/

With Velochique, the club rides - Wednesdays and Saturdays - are no drop and we regularly have new folk's from around the World join us; usually those who have rented bikes from Lee.

In Guia, there is BikeSul, a KTM main dealer and they have organised bike tours and casual rentals too for all types of bikes.
https://www.bikesul.pt

These are the 3 I am most familiar with but there are many others. I have bought bikes from both these LBS's, a friend with the owners, and I am a regular on the Velochique rides.

The region is excellent for road, MTB or gravel - or Touring, or course. You cannot go wrong with any type of cycling here, there is plenty to offer all.

Edit to add: My coach and training partner is also a tour guide...not sure what his plans are for October, but possibly an option if you are looking for someone to show you the region for a day or more. I would just say, while he'll be happy to have a stop at Velochique, he is more a 'serious cyclist' option who wants to either train or the 'slow' pace is not very slow, he is an ex-Cat 1 national level racer who doesn't do slow very well...and he'll drag me along too!

Last edited by AlgarveCycling; 05-20-22 at 04:14 AM.
Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 05-21-22, 06:23 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4266 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,812 Posts
In 2020 (just before the pandemic), I rented a bike from NANO Bicycles in Mallorca
https://www.nanobicycles.com/

I'm sure there are lots of other options, as Mallorca is a huge cycling holiday destination.

The riding was great and I don't recall any problems with the bike. I could have used.a stronger set of legs, though.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 05-21-22, 05:20 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I would definitely pack your fast legs for Mallorca and Algarve. I really like the idea of riding with AlgarveCycling coach as a tour guide. That would be amazing.

Here are a couple of pics from Mallorca to get the juices flowing.

Formentor in the background with us climbing setting up for a descent. I love this pic since it is one of the few with me leading on a climb. My wife climbs like a feather.

The terrain that we are climbing.

Views from along the cliffs of Deia

Switchbacks on the Col du Soleil.

Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-29-22, 11:34 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
The Algarve region of Portugal is indeed a beautiful place to cycle. It has magnificent scenery, plenty of open roads with a lot less traffic than many are used to elsewhere and a generally cycling-tolerant local population.

Lagos area...I can recommend three rental options and they largely depend upon what you intend to do.

Onebike is one of our LBS's with a great reputation that rents bikes, all types, road, MTB and e-bikes. They can deliver the bike to where you are staying. Rui is the owner. Based in Portimao.

Alternatively, Velochique is our premier cycling cafe and they also have a bicycle repair and rental centre plus an AA-style recovery service, based in the picturesque town of Monchique, owner is Lee, and he rents Trek road bikes and runs two weekly club rides and some guys from Lagos join us. Plus, if you are opting for road cycling here, Monchique and Velochique are must-visits; Monchique for the spectacular scenery and Velochique for the great food!

With Velochique, the club rides - Wednesdays and Saturdays - are no drop and we regularly have new folk's from around the World join us; usually those who have rented bikes from Lee.

In Guia, there is BikeSul, a KTM main dealer and they have organised bike tours and casual rentals too for all types of bikes.

These are the 3 I am most familiar with but there are many others. I have bought bikes from both these LBS's, a friend with the owners, and I am a regular on the Velochique rides.

The region is excellent for road, MTB or gravel - or Touring, or course. You cannot go wrong with any type of cycling here, there is plenty to offer all.

Edit to add: My coach and training partner is also a tour guide...not sure what his plans are for October, but possibly an option if you are looking for someone to show you the region for a day or more. I would just say, while he'll be happy to have a stop at Velochique, he is more a 'serious cyclist' option who wants to either train or the 'slow' pace is not very slow, he is an ex-Cat 1 national level racer who doesn't do slow very well...and he'll drag me along too!

Amazing advice, thank you so much! We just booked our tickets for the trip today so I remembered this thread and came back to enjoy the great pics from @Hermes and your advice on Algarve. We just booked an airbnb for 4 nights in Lagos, so the rental delivery option seems nice as I know it's not too far from Portimao. I'd love to meet up with a club ride and am quite happy with faster pace since this trip will be at the end of my summer race season so I should be in reasonable shape, but really as long as I have some good routes loaded into my GPS and a solid bike I'll be perfectly happy! Region looks spectacular and it sounds like the weather in mid-October is still excellent for riding.
Likes For Dan333SP:
Old 05-30-22, 09:12 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Just came back from two weeks in Mallorca. What a great trip. We rented bikes because we did not want to take a chance with bikes getting damaged during transport, etc. We rented Cube bikes from Huerzeler. https://www.huerzeler.com/en I thought the price was right and the support from the shop was great. My Cube bike was disc brakes with Di2. No complaints.

As for routes. I guess the route everyone does is Sa Calobra. Approx 13k straight down to the ocean and then turn around and 13k back up. Make sure you have fresh legs for this ride. One other ride that is quite popular and that I recommend is Cap de Formentor. Great views and just a really nice ride.

Honestly though I think no matter what ride you do, you will not be disappointed. If you have any other questions about where to stay, etc. just ask.
Old 05-31-22, 05:42 AM
AlgarveCycling

Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Amazing advice, thank you so much! We just booked our tickets for the trip today so I remembered this thread and came back to enjoy the great pics from @Hermes and your advice on Algarve. We just booked an airbnb for 4 nights in Lagos, so the rental delivery option seems nice as I know it's not too far from Portimao. I'd love to meet up with a club ride and am quite happy with faster pace since this trip will be at the end of my summer race season so I should be in reasonable shape, but really as long as I have some good routes loaded into my GPS and a solid bike I'll be perfectly happy! Region looks spectacular and it sounds like the weather in mid-October is still excellent for riding.
October is usually a very nice time of the year; the heat from August will have gone and out on the road it will be comfortable for longer rides. Lagos is a great choice for a short stay too.

Velochique post their rides here: https://www.strava.com/clubs/Velochique

Old 05-31-22, 09:36 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Just came back from two weeks in Mallorca. What a great trip. We rented bikes because we did not want to take a chance with bikes getting damaged during transport, etc. We rented Cube bikes from Huerzeler. https://www.huerzeler.com/en I thought the price was right and the support from the shop was great. My Cube bike was disc brakes with Di2. No complaints.

As for routes. I guess the route everyone does is Sa Calobra. Approx 13k straight down to the ocean and then turn around and 13k back up. Make sure you have fresh legs for this ride. One other ride that is quite popular and that I recommend is Cap de Formentor. Great views and just a really nice ride.

Honestly though I think no matter what ride you do, you will not be disappointed. If you have any other questions about where to stay, etc. just ask.
Thank you for the advice! We just booked an amazing AirBnB in the hills above Soller which appears to be basically the epicenter of some excellent routes around the island, I couldn't be more excited. For the rental company you linked to, I'm almost shocked the prices are so reasonable... 175 euros for a 5 day rental on a carbon Di2 bike is incredible. Where is their store located? Obviously the preferred option would be a rental company that delivers to your location but we'll have a small car so I can pick it up and hopefully fit it into the back seat with some disassembly (knowing how small euro cars can be, that may be challenging).
Old 05-31-22, 12:48 PM
AlgarveCycling

Some GCN Racing videos from the Volta ao Algarve - gives an idea of some of our local roads.

One shows how Remco got his statue at our highest point, Foia.

Old 05-31-22, 02:34 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 408 Posts
I’ve been to both, but unfortunately neither for cycling. During my Navy career, my ships stopped at Mallorca on a few occasions. And, I lived in southern Spain but never took the opportunity to cycle in southern Portugal. Most Navy folks who’ve been to Mallorca will tell you that it is one of the best…if not THE best…liberty port the Navy will take you to. Of course that sorta depends on the time of year. Either way…have a great time in both places.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 06-01-22, 02:18 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Thank you for the advice! We just booked an amazing AirBnB in the hills above Soller which appears to be basically the epicenter of some excellent routes around the island, I couldn't be more excited. For the rental company you linked to, I'm almost shocked the prices are so reasonable... 175 euros for a 5 day rental on a carbon Di2 bike is incredible. Where is their store located? Obviously the preferred option would be a rental company that delivers to your location but we'll have a small car so I can pick it up and hopefully fit it into the back seat with some disassembly (knowing how small euro cars can be, that may be challenging).
They have shops/stores all over Mallorca. The only fly in the ointment is you have to take the bike back to the store you rented from. And if you have any issues, you need to go back to that same store. I guess each shop/store is independently operated. Aside from that, I thought the Cube bike with Di2 was great. So much so I have started to look for a Cube dealer here at home. Because, well, you never know. N+1.
Old 09-13-22, 07:53 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling

​​​​AlgarveCycling My trip is coming up soon! I ended up finding a "carbon race bike" rental through Sun Bike Tours Algarve, not sure on what type of bike etc. but they had a reasonably priced drop off/pick up option. I'll be there 10/18 - 10/22 and would certainly love to meet up if you're close to Lagos or at least check out your route ideas, likely will be doing 1-2 hour rides in the mornings to not conflict with time spent with my gf. Also, how is the cell service while riding backroads in the region? I'll be getting an eSim for my iphone so I'll have data access for directions and will pre-load routes into my Wahoo, but it's definitely nice to have service when you're in unfamiliar territory.

Also found a rental shop near where we're staying in Mallorca the next week, have the newer version of my Emonda lined up to ride for 5 days with discs and Di2, hope I don't come home wanting to upgrade
Old 09-13-22, 08:10 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Oh last question for anyone who has ridden in either region during mid/late October... do I need any warm kit or just jersey/bibs/baselayer? Forecast looks like it'll be mostly low 70s and sunny but not sure how things are in the morning or on mountain roads.
Old 09-15-22, 01:13 PM
mawn

Bikes: Ridley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
There is a Youtuber from that region (South of Spain) I don't know if he speaks English but he will help you for sure in Spanish
https://www.youtube.com/user/Miguelms83
just comment is his recent videos and he will answer you.