Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Clean Parts In Your Washer

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-21, 01:48 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts

Gotta a Suntour Vx-GT derailluer that needed cleaning for full inspection and then disassembly. I put the derailleur into a plastic jar half full of water and a a half hand of powdered laundry detergent. I then taped the lid shut just to ensure no leakage and threw it in with the next wash. Bravo... Clean Derailleur with just plain laundry soap...

Caveats: #1 - Ask permission, #2 - Wash off as much debris as possible before treatment, #3 - Use regular laundry detergent just in case the plastic jar breaks open, #4 - Tape the lid on so it is not twisted off during the wash...
Old 12-19-21, 02:01 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
Not so sure how much I like deep clean vibratory cleaning. The used derailleurs I have gotten after ultrasonic cleaning look nice but seem dry of course. I then pretty much get the oil can out and flood everything and work it vigorously to get some smooth operation. I would guess in short order they wouldn’t be too pristine looking anymore. I usually get out the toothbrush and solvent and maybe the air compressor and call it good. I sure can’t argue with your results though. I find the VX to be a beautiful derailleur
Old 12-19-21, 03:34 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
I would want to pull apart the cage and B pivots, now that there's likely soap in them and less lube than before. I do think this method is good for the outside/exposed surfaces though, just not the insides ones. Andy
Old 12-19-21, 04:31 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
...pull apart the cage and B pivots, now that there's likely soap in them...
Understood... This was just a test to see its effectiveness. The treatment did in fact get inside all the small recesses and grooves. I was really surprised a the effectiveness of plain laundry soap too. I'll be doing this with some old brake-sets and other parts I have...

Last edited by zandoval; 12-19-21 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-19-21, 04:42 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
One problem I can see with this is if it did leak, crack or otherwise pollute a load of laundry and the washing machine, I'm going to catch hell.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 12-19-21, 04:51 PM
zandoval 

Originally Posted by Chuck M
One problem I can see with this is if it did leak, crack or otherwise pollute a load of laundry and the washing machine, I'm going to catch hell.
Yep... Same thing if you use the dish washer too...

Note: Dish washer soap will oxidize raw aluminum to a light grey color. Not so bad if that's what you want...
Old 12-19-21, 05:05 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
Did you tumble or perm press dry them? I You do know those parts are not to be ironed.
that same laundry detergent used in an USC does a decent job.
Old 12-19-21, 05:13 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
definitely i had to try this asap
Old 12-19-21, 06:20 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Understood... This was just a test to see its effectiveness. The treatment did in fact get inside all the small recesses and grooves. I was really surprised a the effectiveness of plain laundry soap too. I'll be doing this with some old brake-sets and other parts I have...
Not quite what I was speaking to. The insides I was mentioning are the pivots and bushings, not the surface features. Andy
Old 12-20-21, 04:45 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
in pic 1 it didn't look so dirty as to require special treatment. if you were going to disassemble it anyway couldn't you just clean the few parts by hand?

but I admire the ingenuity & I'm sure you had good reason. intriguing technique!

pic 2 looks spectacular!
Old 12-20-21, 06:39 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Yep... Same thing if you use the dish washer too...

Note: Dish washer soap will oxidize raw aluminum to a light grey color. Not so bad if that's what you want...
I applaud your ingenuity, Zandy. I got to say that the shine on that derailleur is pretty nice! Not all soaps are equal, so could you tell us precisely which laundry soap you are using? My wife usually gets the liquid kind, and I am wondering if that works just as well.

I also forgot to add that over the years, I've done some experimentation with this sort of thing. I've done part cleaning with vibratory tumblers - many of which I have built myself. I've done loads of ultrasonic cleaning. I even was into cleaning motorcycle and bicycle parts in a typical household kitchen dishwasher, of which I picked up for free at the dump. The cleanest results came from the dishwasher, using dish detergent, but it does make any un-anodized aluminum parts grey. I can imagine that the results would be spectacular if I used the laundry soap.

Last edited by J.Higgins; 12-20-21 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-20-21, 07:34 AM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Very interesting. But:
1. She'd never say yes. So this is mostly academic for me.
2. The method misses the "rinse" cycle because the part is locked in the bottle. Perhaps a second "wash" with water only in the bottle would be appropriate?
3. Perhaps I could tape the jar to my leg and go for a ride! (Only joking) (Perhaps).
Likes For mitchmellow62:
Old 12-20-21, 01:21 PM
zandoval 

Originally Posted by J.Higgins
...tell us precisely which laundry soap you are using?
We keep a bag of Dollar Store FOCA powdered Laundry Detergent in the garage. I sprinkle the powder on oil stains in the driveway then rub it into the spots. At the next rain they are usually gone.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I would want to pull apart the cage and B pivots...
God love him... "RJ" has a great youtube of the disassembly of this exact derailleur "Disassemble & Re-assemble Vintage Suntour Rear Derailleur". I got it done in a matter of minuets. Did a good rinse of all the parts and put it back together with a marine grease on the pertinent parts... Happy Happy, Joy Joy...

Rem: This was all a test...
Old 12-21-21, 03:29 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I am going to confess that I almost never clean my der.s off of the bike. I have taken apart a Shimano rear der. that the grease in the pivot got gummy. I have only seen one or two like it.
Old 12-21-21, 08:04 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
I'll just stick with my cheap Harbor Freight Ultrasonic cleaner... Less chance of divorce, same results.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Likes For canopus: