Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Measure 1-piece crank for bb adapter

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-28-22, 11:01 AM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts

I bought two A to E bb adapters for some bc’s. Next I need to order the sealed bb’s. Will someone please attempt to explain how to measure the width of the 1-piece cranks. So that I know what width sealed bb to buy. I’m seeing shimano options 113mm up to 122mm

thanks in advance
Old 11-28-22, 11:35 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by AtNjineer
I bought two A to E bb adapters for some bc’s. Next I need to order the sealed bb’s. Will someone please attempt to explain how to measure the width of the 1-piece cranks. So that I know what width sealed bb to buy. I’m seeing shimano options 113mm up to 122mm

thanks in advance
Here's the bottom bracket cup set, any euro bottom bracket for bmx will work, these are for a 19mm axle, ANY 19mm bmx crank axle. you can get them in tapered, splined, whatever.
https://www.planetbmx.com/shop/euro-bb.html
Old 11-28-22, 01:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Huh? A 1 piece crank will generally use a Fauber or Ashtabula bottom bracket which I haven't seen as a sealed unit they are not compatible with a square taper bottom bracket (or anything else really there might be a couple odd standards that aren't ones I listed above) A square taper bottom bracket length is 100% dependent on the SQUARE TAPER crank you are using and they will generally give you the length in their description and generally only for 1x cranks will they give 2 potential lengths usually one for a 120mm spaced track bike (or fixed gear/single speed) and one for a 130mm spaced road bike.

Figure out what crank you are getting and that will give you the BB length. If you are keeping the 1-piece crank then your adaptor is unneeded otherwise you can probably toss that crank (either parts bin or for most modern stuff trash as it is a very outdated crank style that isn't found on anything of quality these days)
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-28-22, 01:19 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Huh? ..................
Yeah, me too. Or maybe more of an incredulous WTF!
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-28-22, 01:36 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

I already have a crankset for the square taper conversion. That’s why I’m staying square taper.

this is what I bought two of

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Ops-Conversion-American-Euro/dp/B001G8TSPS/ref=asc_df_B001G8TSPS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312065280674&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1561699284415107804&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt =&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1013962&hvtargid=pla-568851755482&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=62425943472&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312065280674&hvpos=&hvnetw=g &hvrand=1561699284415107804&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1013962&hvtargid=pla-568851755482

like I said I have the crankset to complete the conversion only thing missing is for me to figure out what spindle length I should buy.

the bikes being used are a Electra 20” bc and a phat cycle 29” bc

Last edited by AtNjineer; 11-28-22 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-28-22, 01:45 PM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by Iride01
Yeah, me too. Or maybe more of an incredulous WTF!
I was of assuming he was doing a bmx/cruiser since how often do you convert anything else from American to European.
Old 11-28-22, 01:55 PM
Schweinhund

An American bottom bracket has the same offset on each side. any one piece crank will fit. BMX spindles are just straight through using spacers to space either side to correct for shell width and sprocket clearance.
Apologies if I'm assuming too much
Old 11-28-22, 01:58 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Oh...

So you are converting a bike that had a 1 piece crank so it can use a cartridge BB.

What you are going to have to figure out is the chain line you are going to need so you can get the correct length spindle on the BB. So if you haven't taken the crank out yet, then measure from the centerline of the seat tube to the center of your chain rings. If one ring, then to it's center plane. If more than one ring, then to the center plane of the stack. 2 rings would be between the two. And 3 rings would be to the middle ring.

Then you have to figure out what spindle length will give you that chain line with the model of crank you intend to use. Good luck. That's one of the reasons I quickly got rid of a nice riding bike I had for many years and got a bike that was made for the kind of cranks I wished to use.

By the way, what is bc? Electra bc, Phat cycle bc.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-28-22, 02:06 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

BC is Beach Cruiser it’s one of many new acronyms I’ve learned this year on this forum.
Old 11-28-22, 02:09 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
An American bottom bracket has the same offset on each side. any one piece crank will fit. BMX spindles are just straight through using spacers to space either side to correct for shell width and sprocket clearance.
Apologies if I'm assuming too much
I hear you and tbh I would rather but “I have the parts I have” for a square taper setup.
Old 11-28-22, 02:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Ok there is still zero information about what crank you have. Like I said the CRANK determines the spindle length not a bottom bracket adaptor or anything else really. Not sure why you posted one big link but it doesn't help anything. Just look at what cranks you are using and generally the manufacturer will have the spindle length on it otherwise you can post the info here and we can do our best but you are probably best reaching out to the OEM for your cranks and figuring out what they require.
Old 11-28-22, 02:13 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Oh...

So you are converting a bike that had a 1 piece crank so it can use a cartridge BB.

What you are going to have to figure out is the chain line you are going to need so you can get the correct length spindle on the BB. So if you haven't taken the crank out yet, then measure from the centerline of the seat tube to the center of your chain rings. If one ring, then to it's center plane. If more than one ring, then to the center plane of the stack. 2 rings would be between the two. And 3 rings would be to the middle ring.

Then you have to figure out what spindle length will give you that chain line with the model of crank you intend to use. Good luck. That's one of the reasons I quickly got rid of a nice riding bike I had for many years and got a bike that was made for the kind of cranks I wished to use.

yes thank you. The main reason I seek to know how to measure the crank width is so that my future bb purchase keeps my chain line straight.
Old 11-28-22, 02:13 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
I hear you and tbh I would rather but “I have the parts I have” for a square taper setup.
Fine, What crank will you be using? That is what will determine what spindle length you will need for the cartridge bottom bracket
Old 11-28-22, 02:21 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

No offense but you'll quickly put more into those bikes than they are worth monetarily. Just keep the one piece cranks they have. Just adjust the bearings as they wear. When you can't adjust anymore, then get new bearings and races.
Old 11-28-22, 02:26 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Ok there is still zero information about what crank you have. Like I said the CRANK determines the spindle length not a bottom bracket adaptor or anything else really. Not sure why you posted one big link but it doesn't help anything. Just look at what cranks you are using and generally the manufacturer will have the spindle length on it otherwise you can post the info here and we can do our best but you are probably best reaching out to the OEM for your cranks and figuring out what they require.

there’s still zero information about the cranks on my end. Since phat cycle is no longer in business and trek bought out Electra. I’m on hold with trek bike as I type. Let me get those crank numbers for you real quick. Mistake it’s an trek 20” beach cruiser I’m on the phone right now asking for the width. I don’t know why I posted such a large link either. I doubt I’ll know since it was unintentional. I assume no apology for that is needed.
Old 11-28-22, 02:35 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Fine, What crank will you be using? That is what will determine what spindle length you will need for the cartridge bottom bracket
i have one 170mm China made PROWHEEL “chariot” crank set

and one 149mm FSA Crankset

both 130cbd if that matters
Old 11-28-22, 02:44 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

No offense but you'll quickly put more into those bikes than they are worth monetarily. Just keep the one piece cranks they have. Just adjust the bearings as they wear. When you can't adjust anymore, then get new bearings and races.
none taken. It brings me joy to customize my bikes. So much so that don’t notice the money. If you ride a one piece for miles and get off and ride a sealed bb. You feeling the difference 100%.

trek didn’t have the info she said she would do more digging for me as for the phat cycle there isn’t even a number I could call so pretty much I have to pull both cranks out and measure them. No biggie. Ill have pictures of everything posted back here later this week. Thanks everyone
Old 11-28-22, 02:48 PM
alcjphil

there’s still zero information about the cranks on my end. Since phat cycle is no longer in business and trek bought out Electra. I’m on hold with trek bike as I type. Let me get those crank numbers for you real quick. Mistake it’s a trek 20” beach cruiser I’m on the phone right now asking for the width. I don’t know why I posted such a large link either. I doubt I’ll know since it was unintentional. I assume no apology for that is needed.
The bikes themselves don't matter. The old cranks also don't matter. Once you install the adapters all that matters is the spindle length requirement of the cranks you will use

Last edited by alcjphil; 11-28-22 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-28-22, 04:40 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

You have the cranks, do you already have the BB's? If you do, then just put them on. If the chain line is off far enough for it to be a bother, then you will know at that time whether you need a BB with a shorter spindle or longer spindle. Trying to figure out what spindle length to get when you are dealing with square tapers in a situation that isn't just remove and replace with same will drive one nuts.

If you have the square taper BB cartridge already, then you'll know if it works by just putting it on and seeing if the chain goes straight back to the cog on the rear. If it's got a bad angle on it and the chain comes off the ring or cog when you pedal, then you'll need shorter or longer spindle for your need BB cartridge. Maybe go to a bike shop or co-op and see if you can just scrounge some trashed squared taper BB's to see about the spindle length.

These both are IGH or just a single cog on the rear?
Old 11-28-22, 05:13 PM
alcjphil

You have the cranks, do you already have the BB's? If you do, then just put them on. If the chain line is off far enough for it to be a bother, then you will know at that time whether you need a BB with a shorter spindle or longer spindle. Trying to figure out what spindle length to get when you are dealing with square tapers in a situation that isn't just remove and replace with same will drive one nuts.

If you have the square taper BB cartridge already, then you'll know if it works by just putting it on and seeing if the chain goes straight back to the cog on the rear. If it's got a bad angle on it and the chain comes off the ring or cog when you pedal, then you'll need shorter or longer spindle for your need BB cartridge. Maybe go to a bike shop or co-op and see if you can just scrounge some trashed squared taper BB's to see about the spindle length.

These both are IGH or just a single cog on the rear?
Exactly, You are looking at this problem from the wrong end of the telescope. You buy the adapters, install them, and you are at a new beginning. Nothing about the original cranks applies, measuring them gives you no useful information
Old 11-28-22, 05:18 PM
alcjphil

BCD doesn't matter. What does matter is the bottom bracket spindle length that these cranks require. Crank arm length also doesn't matter. What matters is the spindle length required to provide decent chainline
Old 11-28-22, 05:59 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts

Ok.. let's work with the Pro Wheel crank first... single speed.. How many teeth on the Chain ring?... can you measure from the inner face of the Chain ring(sprocket) to the flat face of the center of the crank hub? if it's NOT flat, measure to the inner edge of the square taper... please post that distance.
Old 11-28-22, 08:24 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

This the new beginning of this thread lol
heres a recap

op is seeking advice on how to accurately decided on which spindle length to purchase online for a one piece to sealed bearings bottom bracket conversion.
op has square taper cranksets on hand and a order already placed for American to euro bottom bracket adapters.
op does not have bottom brackets in his possession.
Crankset length are 149mm and 170mm
with plans to take more measurements as requested.

The conversion that will use the 170mm cranks. Will use a shimano Alphine8 IGH. The conversion with 149mm cranks will use a shimano nexus 3 speed IGH. I have both hubs in my possession.

the end plan is to purchase three shimano un300 bottom brackets. For three bikes. Both conversions included.

Last edited by AtNjineer; 11-28-22 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-28-22, 09:00 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
You need to find more info on the cranks.Brand of crank isn't enough, model is required

For example see here where FSA documents for this particular model a 110.5mm BB for a 44mm chainline
​​​​​​https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/f...d1b7799ac9128/

And this ad for this Prowheel says 113mm BB
​​​​​​https://www.ebay.com/itm/184500566181
Likes For dedhed:
Old 11-28-22, 09:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Nope BCD doesn't matter in bottom bracket spindle length it is just the specific crankset and in some cases date as things can change over the years.

I cannot find info on the Chariot aside from Alibaba and his 40 thieves selling one with an external bottom bracket. I did see some square taper versions but all old and out of stock and nothing listed currently on the Prowheel website. However luckily they have an email: sales-sh@pro-wheel.com

The particular FSA crankset does matter though but they have a contact form as well so if you reach out to them with the specifics (Like FSA Gossamer Tandem Crankset purchased in 2017) they should be able to help: https://www.fullspeedahead.com/en/su...tomer-services

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.