Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1972 Vintage Raleigh Professional MK IV Model DL 180 in Blue Mink/Silver

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 11-29-22, 07:39 PM
Flying G

Bikes: 1971 Gitane TDF, 1974 Gitane Interclub, 2001 Serotta Rapid Tour CS3, 1986 Bruce Gordon touring bike, 1972 Gitane Super Corsa, 1978 Michal Johnson, 1972 Lambert Professional Grand Prix, 1983 Vitus (resto project), 1972 Raleigh Professional (resto)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

Finally have the opportunity to post this nice Raleigh Pro that I intend to sell. Once more, I love this 57cm bike but it is too small for me so hopefully this will make someone else happy in the community. Attempted to provide a complete description. Very interested in your feedback on the what you feel this bike is worth.

Nice, clean iconic English 1972 vintage Raleigh Professional MK IV Model DL 180 in Blue Mink/Silver that is road ready.
Campagnolo Record components throughout with exception of Cinelli handlebar and stem.
Mavic G40 clincher wheels with Campagnolo Record hubs.
Frame size: 22.5”/57 cm CTT seat tube with top tube length: 22”/56 cm
Standover height: 32.75”
Serial #G3214 (March, 1972 and frame sequence is either 214 or 14) built in Raleigh Carlton Worksop Factory.
Frame/Fork: Reynolds 531 double butted throughout and Campagnolo dropouts with eyelets. Frame is straight with no evidence of damage, collisions, accidents or abuse.
Brampton Victor “Fastback” seat lug and spearpoint lugs.
Forged Cinelli style integral sloping fork crown.
Stem: Cinelli
Handlebars: Cinelli Mod Giro D’Italia
Bar tape: New white Cinelli Caleido Ribbon with perforated “Eco-leather”
Brake Lever Hoods: New Campy translucent gum hoods with “Campy World Logo”
Brakes: Campy Record with red Scott/Mathauser C pads (worn but functional)
Brake Cables and Housing: New cables and new white Jagwire housing.
Headset: Campy Campy NR 1” steel English threaded
Crankset: Campy Record 52/42 x 170 crankarms with “3 in circle” stamped on both crank arms.
Freewheel: Regina Extra 6 speed 13/23 (outstanding condition, no wear)
Chain: SRAM (minimal wear/nearly new)
Derailleur Front: Nuovo Record (overhauled, cleaned, greased)
Derailleur Rear: 1981 Nuovo Record (overhauled, cleaned, greased)
Bottom Bracket: Shimano cartridge (English Thread)
Pedals: Campy Super Leggera Strada (English Thread) with Christophe toe clips.
Rims: MAVIC G-40 (tensioned and trued)
Hubs: Campy Record Low Flange/QR skewers - 36 spokes front/rear
Tires: Panaracer Pasela Sportite Belt 700 x 25c (new)
Saddle: Brooks Professional (well worn)
Seat Post: Campy (high polish sheen with minor cosmetic scratches)

Decals: Reynolds 531 on seat tube is original as are the Carlton decals on seat tube and each fork. Decals are worn but legible.
“Campagnolo” decal above shifters is in good condition.
Gold “Professional” script on top tube is also original and missing most letters. New decals available but not installed and to be given to new owner.
“Raleigh” script on down tube is in good condition.
Bike Shop decal on down tube near bottom bracket is quite worn but original. Bike shop is “C. Harding’s Westwood Cyclery on 1449 Westwood Cyclery, LA 24 Calif.”

Paint: Very good condition overall with light scratches from use on the tubes, stays and bottom bracket shell. Gold lining to lugs has faded but clearly visible. Rust spot on top tube near seat tube lug.

Very slight scratches to handlebars centers and some road rash on right side of each brake lever. Slight rust on chain ring bolts and scuffs on crank arms.
Chrome: Very good throughout with slight fades on rear chain and seat stays. Fork is excellent but rust observed/cleaned/treated on inner weep holes.

“Extras”: In addition to new gold “Professional” script decals, new owner will also receive: gold/black water bottle cage holder with mounting hardware, original grey brake cable housing and white worn leather Christophe toe clip straps and working white Silca pump with silver Campy metal pump head. Frame pump has excellent pressure.

This 51 year old road bike is in super condition and rides “light and tight.” Bike was purchased from original owner in 2020 who purchased it new in 1972 from C. Harding’s bike shop. This bicycle has been carefully refurbished and is absolutely ready to ride.

Likes For Flying G:
Old 11-29-22, 08:41 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
One of my all time favorites that has eluded me......A true beauty.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 12-01-22, 12:04 AM
Fairlane63

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 37 Posts
Sweet ride! Were these made in Nottingham?
Old 12-01-22, 07:09 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
If it were mine, I would want $800 locally in the Spring/Summer, and if I couldn't get that, I would not sell it for anything less.

Before listing, I would center the tire labels over the valve stem and find matching toe clip bolts, so it looks to a buyer that I follow all the aesthetic rules, even though I don't.
Old 12-01-22, 07:46 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
Great bike really like the paint and good chrome also it has about the nicest looking crankset set and pedals I have seen. As for price I would agree on the $800-1000 even in the soft market for vintage DT shifter bikes.
Old 12-01-22, 08:35 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
That is a beautiful bike and it should bring at least the $800 ( I think maybe more) that was mentioned. When you do present it for sale , I would look for some short valve stem tubes(available on eBay) and, as SurferRosa said , center labels to coincide with valves. Also lower the seat post to relative position for “right sized” rider. Shorten the brake cables a bit as well, running them in front or behind is a personal preference but most like them behind the bars. This may seem overly picky but this bike will attract the kind of buyer that would notice. Whatever you do , good luck and too bad it doesn’t fit , it would be hard to replace in that condition.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 12-02-22, 06:46 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
. This may seem overly picky but this bike will attract the kind of buyer that would notice.
I agree and the changes are easy to do and worth the effort. Cable housings behind the bars, and a bit shorter. Survey numerous images via catalogs and net images. Also fully seat the front wheel. Survey images for QR lever positioning. Shows you know what you’re doing and cannot be BS’d. EX: survey how Drillium Dude sets up his bikes.

What is the date on the RD? Looks to be a post CPSC version so too late for a 1972. But the adjustment screw covers could be removed.

Take much better photos. The ones you’ve posted faked me out. At first I thought “repaint” as both the blue and the silver were too dark. Then realized it was the lighting. “You only get ONE first impression”. If needed, ask a photog friend to take the pictures. Search threads here on now to photograph a bike for sale.

GLWS. Lovely bike.
Old 12-02-22, 10:13 AM
Paul Waque 

Bikes: Road: 1972 Raleigh Competition,1989 Marinoni, 1990 Limongi. MTN: 1990 GT Team Avalanche, 1991 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, GT Team RTS , Rocky Mountain MSL 50 Element, CCM fat bike

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
You have done a great job cleaning this bike up. Good input here to bring it to the next level, as it deserves to be presented.
Old 12-02-22, 01:11 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 240 Posts
If maximizing dollars interests you, parting it out could get you close to $1,300 gross.
I say this, because many components got replaced since '72.
In my opinion, eBay would be your best avenue to reach a huge audience. Fees could still net you upwards of $1,100.
A buyer with it as currently configured, may try to bring it back to original.
Just my two cents...
Old 12-02-22, 05:22 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 191 Posts
Dream bike, but thankfully too large. Did Shimano make bottom brackets that have spindle tapers compatible with Campagnolo cranksets?
Old 12-03-22, 01:41 AM
Schreck83 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 159 Posts
This frame has the Haden lugs, which many find more desirable than the standard longpoint lugs usually seen on professional frames.

Old 12-04-22, 12:23 PM
Flying G

Bikes: 1971 Gitane TDF, 1974 Gitane Interclub, 2001 Serotta Rapid Tour CS3, 1986 Bruce Gordon touring bike, 1972 Gitane Super Corsa, 1978 Michal Johnson, 1972 Lambert Professional Grand Prix, 1983 Vitus (resto project), 1972 Raleigh Professional (resto)

Great feedback from everyone - I really appreciate it!

Without a doubt, the suggestions to improve the display are worth my time and effort. After posting, I spotted some additional things that need to be changed but I won't reveal what they are. Clearly, a better backdrop, camera and photo positions will help. The bike deserves all of this!

I went back and forth on the placement of the brake cables (in front of the bars or behind) but after reviewing the catalog photo (see below), decided to place them in front figuring that being true to the catalog shot made sense. We'll continue to think about this.

Have refurbished vintage bikes for the daughters to enjoy, which has been fun and rewarding. They are developing an appreciation for riding classic and to me, "timeless road bikes." However, I don't think that they are ready for this Raleigh Pro and suspect that it would quickly disappear somewhere in San Francisco if I were to give it to one of them. So, I'll continue efforts to prep the bike for sale to someone who is really eager to relive the past on this Raleigh Pro.

Quick PSA if you don't already know about BikeIndex.org. This is a great non-profit that strives to help us register our bicycles and even more important, recover them. I think that all of us at one time or another has had a cherished two wheeler disappear into the void. Luckily, there are some good people out there that are working hard to help us retrieve these bicycles and over time, I'm optimistic that more and more police departments will go to the BikeIndex.org website when stolen bikes are recovered but owners remain unknown. Anyway, any financial contribution to this worthy organization furthers the goal of reuniting "lost" bikes with their rightful owners. I know that lots of charitable organizations need support this time of year but this one aligns so closely with what all of us believe in. Enough said.

Thanks again for all comments, suggestions and replies regarding this Raleigh. It will re-appear online in 2023.

Best to all!

Catalog photo used as reference for placement of brake cables.
Old 12-04-22, 11:11 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying G
after reviewing the catalog photo, decided to place them in front, figuring that being true to the catalog shot made sense.

Catalog photo used as reference for placement of brake cables.
That photo shows the cables behind the bars.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 12-04-22, 11:43 PM
Flying G

Yep - agree.
Old 12-05-22, 05:44 AM
Skippabrazi

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
That is a beautiful bike and it should bring at least the $800 ( I think maybe more) that was mentioned. When you do present it for sale , I would look for some short valve stem tubes(available on eBay) and, as SurferRosa said , center labels to coincide with valves. Also lower the seat post to relative position for “right sized” rider. Shorten the brake cables a bit as well, running them in front or behind is a personal preference but most like them behind the bars. This may seem overly picky but this bike will attract the kind of buyer that would notice. Whatever you do , good luck and too bad it doesn’t fit , it would be hard to replace in that condition.
Nice
Old 12-06-22, 02:09 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 623 Posts
truly stunning.

Noticed the RD had been swapped out for a newer one. Most people won't notice or care. Just an observation.

My favorite color combo for a Raleigh!!

Also, careful that the front wheel is fully in the drop-out.

Last edited by Robvolz; 12-06-22 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-06-22, 10:11 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
After looking a bit more one fairly simple detail that would help to bring this one up a notch is to nicely re-pinestripe the lugs and lines between chrome and paint in gold. This would be a nice detail that usually isn't done but is a part of the classic Raliegh high end British look of these bikes.