Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1964 Scwinn Twinn Tandem - chain slip

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-22, 02:51 PM
bamboo63

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know there's a tandem forum but I thought I would start here since it's an old classic. Anyway, this issue may be common to many old bikes. I'm taking my 9-year-old to school on this purple beast but lately, the chain is coming off in the rear almost daily. I'm guessing you're going to tell me to get a new chain-- or better yet, replace both chains. Just want to hear some advice as I've been out of cycling for a while. Do enjoy our two-speed Twinn and want to keep riding it! Also, would these chains be easy to find, or am I looking at a specialty item?

geo
Old 10-24-22, 05:31 AM
Peruano
Biker

Bikes: Boone McReynolds, Centurion Pro Tour

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 61 Posts
Two chains hooked together make one long chain and usually with a piece left over.
Old 10-24-22, 06:47 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 382 Posts
Check the same things you’d check on a single bike with this issue - chain/freewheel wear, shift adjustment, derailleur limit screws. Does it come off while pedaling, while shifting? To the inside or outside?

If it needs a new chain, it should be a standard 6 speed (or however many to match your freewheel or cassette speeds) chain.
Old 10-24-22, 07:16 AM
bamboo63

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should have mentioned: no derailleur. It slips while pedaling, usually when we are pushing a little harder. Slips off to the outside. Given that, how do I select a new chain?
Old 10-24-22, 07:30 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 514 Posts
Originally Posted by bamboo63
I know there's a tandem forum but I thought I would start here since it's an old classic. Anyway, this issue may be common to many old bikes. I'm taking my 9-year-old to school on this purple beast but lately, the chain is coming off in the rear almost daily. I'm guessing you're going to tell me to get a new chain-- or better yet, replace both chains. Just want to hear some advice as I've been out of cycling for a while. Do enjoy our two-speed Twinn and want to keep riding it! Also, would these chains be easy to find, or am I looking at a specialty item?

geo
A two-speed will use a different chain than a derailleur equipped bike. Look for a 1/8 inch wide chain, that is the size for single/three speed bikes. Chains for derailleur bikes will be 3/32 inch. All of them are 1/2 inch long from pin to pin. You can check if the chain is worn out by measuring 12 inches of chain, from pin to pin. If the pin at the 12 inch point is past the mark on the ruler, the chain is worn out. You also need to look at the sprockets, since they wear along with the chain. If they look more like shark fins and less like uniform peaks and valleys, they are also worn. If you share your location, someone may be able to point you toward a bike shop or co-op that can help you out.
Likes For Pompiere: