Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hitch Mounted Bike Rack

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hitch Mounted Bike Rack

Old 09-23-18, 09:39 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Hitch Mounted Bike Rack

I have a 2014 Acura TSX Wagon. Fantastic car. In the past we've used a strap mounted Saris Bones rack, but the hooks wouldn't fit on my last car or my wife's van- we gave the rack to some friends. I don't think the hooks would fit on this car. I've been looking forward to getting an 'accessory hitch' and a hitch mounted bike rack for this car- (I was hoping to have it on my last car...)

I've looked at a bunch of the options- based on my bikes and the accessories on my bikes I'm looking at a rack that has the weight of the bike on the wheels- so a "tray" style rack. I really don't want my bike hanging from the top tube- plus, it seems most of the locking options seem to work best with the tray racks. Most of my bikes are "vintage" touring bikes, with pannier racks, fenders and such- my wife's bike is a new-ish Trek 7.2 with a rear rack- so I'm not sure that the options that have and arm hold down the wheels would totally work.

What are some options that you've had experiences with?

Here's my car:

Acura TSX Wagon by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-23-18, 10:11 PM
PDLandis
"steel is real"

Bikes: Jamis Renegade Exploit, Specialized Rockhopper Expert, Custom USA Cannondale 1x8 Frankenbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 2 Swagman XC, and they work great. Well built and very adjustable. Much better than hang and bangs. It takes seconds to load/unload.
Old 09-23-18, 10:55 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
There are lots of very good hitch bike racks on the market. Hitches come in different sizes, so look for a rack that fits your hitch (small cars usually use 1.25 inch hitches). Thule and Kuat make some of the best racks, but they are more expensive. I agree that the tray-style racks are safest for lightweight bikes.
Old 09-23-18, 11:06 PM
soonerrebel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Check these out. But like johnny99 said the Thule and Kuat can be expensive. I have a Thule T2 and it has served me well.

Thule T2
Kuat NV
Yakima HoldUp
Old 09-23-18, 11:27 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
1upusa
Old 09-24-18, 12:31 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
My Thule has been working great.

The main part shown holds two, a holder slides in that holds two more.

]

Old 09-24-18, 04:18 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I've been using a cheap ($70) Allen 4 bike hitch rack for 10 years now, works great (with cheap bikes you can get 4 on it, more of a 2 bike rack if you want to be sure no banging) but not a tray rack.. A friend uses the Thule T2 and recommends it.

To make it easier for my wife to get bikes on her new car, I've been looking at tray racks, too - another friend recommends the Saris Freedom but I haven't been able to pull the trigger on a $550 rack when the $70 one work fine, even for my carbon Trek Domane.
Old 09-24-18, 04:44 AM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just purchased a Kuat Transfer2 rack for transporting our bikes. I looked at a few, but the $500-$600 scared me. This one retails for just under $300 (still a bit of an investment) and the bike wheels sit in trays, so the frame has no stress. I’ve used it only twice so far, but it seems very solid. Worth a look.
Old 09-24-18, 09:07 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
1upusa
The 1upUsa rack is a great rack, but it does use a front hook the goes over the front tire which might not be the best with fenders:

I've heard they sell a fender bumper pad or something but it might be better to just get a different rack.

The Saris Freedom doesn't fold down for storage in your garage really, but it does hold the bike without going over any fender points:

The Swagman XC folds down and does not hit fender points either:

https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Cross...dp/B0001VO1YY/

Basically if I just search amazon for "hitch bike rack" you'll see a lot of models.
Old 09-24-18, 09:56 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
The racks that hold the bikes in a tray with an arm over the front tire won't work with front fenders.

My Kuat Sherpa 2.0 is perfect for me, but won't do front fenders.
--Its extremely fast and easy to load two bikes. Nothing touches the frame, and the two bikes stay separated, and stable.
--It's very lightweight, around 30 pounds, and it's simple and fast to attach the rack to the hitch. It takes less than a minute to mount the rack. (I put a piece of color tape on the arm, so I know just how far to slide it into the hitch socket.)

The front tire holder arm has to be pressed tight onto the tire, and as close to the front fork/brakes as possible. That's not going to work with a fender, and the user instructions are clear about this.
If I need to use it with my other fendered bike, I'd remove the front fender. It's a 3-5 minute task to remount the fender, so I wouldn't want to do this on every ride.
I thought about making some kind of dense pad sized to fit between the fender and tire, but that doesn't seem practical, I think the fender might still get damaged.

~~~~~~~
I didn't want those racks that suspend the bikes by the top tube. I didn't want possible paint scuffing, or bikes hitting each other. They are inexpensive, though.

Last edited by rm -rf; 09-24-18 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-24-18, 10:49 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Front of the City bus racks hold bike by the bare front tire
so front mudguards cannot extend past the top of the front wheel by much..

something to consider when you accessorize your bike..
and plan to use multi mode commutes
Old 09-24-18, 12:03 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I like my 1upUSA rack, even got tagged from behind and the rack saved my bike *and* my bumper.

Old 09-24-18, 12:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Most of my bikes are "vintage" touring bikes, with pannier racks, fenders and such- my wife's bike is a new-ish Trek 7.2 with a rear rack- so I'm not sure that the options that have and arm hold down the wheels would totally work.

What are some options that you've had experiences with?
I have a Thule T2 because i need to be able to haul 4 bikes a handful of times each year and the T2 add-on allows for that.
Its solid, well made, and terrible for fenders.

So eliminate that from your list of possibilities. I have seen people attach the arm in front of the fenders and the bikes seem fine(for the few seconds I see them while driving), but not too sure how far i would trust that setup.

I shy away from racks that clamp to the frame, but im sure nothing bad will happen.
https://www.etrailer.com/tv-review-t...ck-th9054.aspx
https://www.etrailer.com/question-214882.html

These are a couple recommendations from a really complete and informative hitch rack site.
Old 09-24-18, 12:49 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I love my 1UP rack, but the one thing it does not deal with very well are full coverage fenders.

The issue is not the front fender, but the rear one.

The way I deal with that on mine is to move the part that pinches the rear tire to the very lowest position, which ends up just under the rear fender on my and my wifes cruisers. That keeps the front end locked in place, but the back can lift out. So it requires a strap to hold the rear wheel down to the rack.

So as much as I like the 1Up for our road and mountain bike, if you plan to use the tck for bikes with full coverage fenders, I would not recomend it.

Due to your fender situation, I think your best bet is a tray rack with a stablizer arm that goes over the top tube.

Last edited by Kapusta; 09-24-18 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-24-18, 01:03 PM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We have the Thule T2 Pro XT 2 rack on our Forester, and love it.
Old 09-24-18, 02:19 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Thanks to everyone!

Originally Posted by PaulRivers

Basically if I just search amazon for "hitch bike rack" you'll see a lot of models.
I've seen quite the dazzling array on Amazon, REI, YouTube as well as many manufacturer sites- I wanted to see what people are actually using and how they like them.

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I like my 1upUSA rack, even got tagged from behind and the rack saved my bike *and* my bumper.

I really dig that 1up rack- everything about it looks super solid- and just going by a lot of comments and youtube videos- people REALLY love them... but I think those arms with fenders and possibly racks may be a deal breaker...

I'm also really impressed that it stood up to getting rear ended. I got rear ended with a bike on the back of my car in 1991- It was one of the strap-on racks and my cranks got clobbered.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I have a Thule T2 because i need to be able to haul 4 bikes a handful of times each year and the T2 add-on allows for that.

So eliminate that from your list of possibilities. I have seen people attach the arm in front of the fenders and the bikes seem fine(for the few seconds I see them while driving), but not too sure how far i would trust that setup.

I shy away from racks that clamp to the frame, but im sure nothing bad will happen.

These are a couple recommendations from a really complete and informative hitch rack site.
I'd run across some of the etrailer videos- but I hadn't actually checked out the site. Thanks!

It seems that a lot of people really dig Thule and 1up- and just judging from how many Thule products you see on cars- they seem to be well trusted.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-24-18, 02:34 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I'm also really impressed that it stood up to getting rear ended. I got rear ended with a bike on the back of my car in 1991- It was one of the strap-on racks and my cranks got clobbered.
Pretty mild rear end, in all fairness. That might be a difficult rack with fenders too.
Old 09-24-18, 02:40 PM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
I'm also very happy with my 1up.
Old 09-24-18, 02:40 PM
honcho

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
I own and use the Saris Freedom rack with the optional long bar to transport a tandem. It works well and I had never seen anyone else using one until a recent trip where there were two others on vehicles at the trailhead. While I have a lot of Thule and Yakima gear, I have come to the conclusion that their racks (and Kuat) are grossly overpriced for what they offer. They are also heavy to take on and off of your vehicle. You may not care (I do), but last time I looked, Yakima's and Kuat's hitch racks are made in China. Thule probably has Chinese production too 1Up has nice stuff, made in USA, but not fender friendly. I have had a Performance rack very similar to the Swagman in an earlier post and it was more than adequate and the price was right when on sale at Performance. Attached is a picture of our tandem on the Performance xport rack
Old 09-24-18, 02:45 PM
CrewFan

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo, Breezer Liberty r 1.3+, Fuji Absolute 2.1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have the above mentioned Swagman XC and it's pretty easy to use and works well with my commuter bike's fenders.
Old 09-24-18, 03:07 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Fyi, 1up does sell a fender cushion, not saying it's good or bad but it is an official thing:
https://www.1up-usa.com/product/fender-cushion/
Old 09-24-18, 04:58 PM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

I will confess to being confused by this post.

We've used our Thule T2 for two years, many dozens of times, and I have no idea how it could impact a fender (literally or figuratively). Obviously, I don't care what others buy, but this mystifies me.
Old 09-24-18, 06:30 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by 124Spider

We've used our Thule T2 for two years, many dozens of times, and I have no idea how it could impact a fender (literally or figuratively). Obviously, I don't care what others buy, but this mystifies me.
Doesn’t the clamp over the front wheel clamp down where a fender whould stick out?
Old 09-24-18, 06:48 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by 124Spider

the front wheel arm cant clamp down tight against the wheel/brake caliper junction due to the fender.
Old 09-24-18, 07:47 PM
SCPaul

Bikes: Disc Trucker, Jamis Dragon 650 Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Swagman XTC2 that I have had for 7 or 8 years. It is similar to the XC except the wheel hoops are different. One thing I dislike about it is that it prevents trunk access (at least on my Accord) if I have a bike with wide bars toward the car. Other than that, I have been happy with it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.