Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic Rear Brake sticky

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-20, 01:57 PM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

brake is for a 2016 Trek Farley 9.6
Alvio brakes

Rear brake is sticky. when i press the level is fine. However the pads dont retract all the way. I have taken air out of the line by from the handle bars and took a few drops out which worked. However pads still dont retract all the way.
suggestions?
Old 10-25-20, 02:52 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
When you bled the lines did you also pry back in the pads (I use a clean cone wrench between the pads)? Sometimes the pad piston can hang up within it's cylinder from grime and needs a few cycles in and out to clear the build up. Andy
Old 10-25-20, 06:04 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Sometimes the pistons get grimey and gritty and stick. You can clean them off. google videos on how to fix a sticky piston.
Old 10-26-20, 01:23 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
1. Remove the wheel and the brake pads.
2. Press the brake lever multiple times to make the pistons move out. BEWARE not to overdo it as you don't want a piston to fall out of the caliper.
3. Grab a piece of string and soak in isopropyl alcohol.
4. Pass the string around the pistons and pull both sides alternatively, making the string rub the piston. Do it from both sides until the piston is totally clean.
5. Carefully push the pistons inside the caliper, replace the pads and the wheel, and check if it works.

Before doing this though, make sure there's no air in the caliper. Any bubble stuck there can cause a sticky piston.
Old 10-26-20, 11:11 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Park Tool video about cleaning pistons:
Old 10-24-21, 05:48 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Hello,

My city bike has Shimano BR-M395 hydraulic disk brakes, and I've been riding it happily for years.

Starting a few days ago, I noticed the rear wheel would stop very fast after spinning. Since the tire wasn't rubbing against the fender, I assumed it had something to do with the brake.

After removing the wheel and pushing the pads outward with a disk piston press, I notice the left-side piston isn't fully retracted, while the right-side piston is almost fully retracted.
After loosening the two Allen nuts holding the caliper on the frame, and pressing the disk lever while tightening the nuts to adjust the caliper, the wheel is spinning better, but I can hear the pads rubbing against the disk.

Before I go ahead and clean the piston as shown below and in the Park Tool video above, do you confirm the left piston should lie further inside the caliper, ie a case of sticky piston?

Thank you.

--
Edit: I juste dabbed a bit of brake fluid around each piston with a Q-tip, pulled slightly on the lever, noticed the left piston moves in and out, used a clean rag to remove the excess fluid, and it seems to have done the job.

Last edited by Winfried; 10-24-21 at 07:03 AM.