Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-17, 06:33 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jsk
Yeah the point of gym work is to build strength, not endurance. You get plenty of that on the bike. For leg press I would try more weight, and sets of 8-10. For high-bar back squats I do sets of 5.
Fwiw there are some books (Friel for instance) that says the gym can be about both - but more importantly that the types of lifting body builders do (to get bigger muscles) has little to do with what cyclists need.

The thinking in general is that cyclists gain more by doing more reps with less weight, rather than fewer reps with more weight.

my race videos
Old 09-11-17, 06:34 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by globecanvas
Our Athlete
This is golden

my race videos
Old 09-11-17, 08:32 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Our Athlete
don't invest too much. I'm not careful about checking my lunch against USADA!
Old 09-11-17, 09:09 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
EZ spin for an hour on the trainer. Little dorky, but I'm only about 200 miles from unlocking the s-works Tarmac on zwift. So I just turned it on in the background to rack up the miles and watched breaking bad.

Hoping to get my cx bike assembled tomorrow night so I can go race the first weeknight cross race on Wednesday. Headset bearing are supposed to get here tomo. 1x ring is supposed to get here tomorrow and the local shop has the hydraulic cables I need. Just have to get the brakes bled and rear derailleur set up.
Old 09-11-17, 09:36 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Fwiw there are some books (Friel for instance) that says the gym can be about both - but more importantly that the types of lifting body builders do (to get bigger muscles) has little to do with what cyclists need.

The thinking in general is that cyclists gain more by doing more reps with less weight, rather than fewer reps with more weight.
IMHO this sort of conventional wisdom about strength training belongs right up there with the notion that any intensity on the bike during a traditional base training phase is counter-productive.

I'm not going to say you'll get no benefit at all from doing high-rep low-weight work, because just about anything you do will have some benefit (especially at first). But IMHO there are better ways to spend your time. I'd recommend big-gear work and standing starts on the bike over high-rep weight work, for instance.

The ironic thing is, it's precisely the bodybuilders looking for size rather than strength who do the type of work that some people recommend for endurance athletes: more reps, lower weight, time under tension, and just a lot of training volume in general. It's the strength/power athletes who favor higher intensity and lower volume. The heavier weights are better for training your CNS to actually recruit more of your muscle and so you get more strength per lb of muscle mass compared to a hypertrophy-based training plan.

Another thing I've found: once you build up to heavier weights, the shorter, more intense sets actually take less of a toll in terms of fatigue and recovery, so I've found they interfere with on the bike training less than a high-volume approach with lighter weights.

It's been a while since I read Friel, but I'd be surprised if he recommends 50-rep sets anymore (if he ever did). I do seem to recall Friel (or maybe it was Chapple) recommending that you start out with more somewhat lighter weights and moderately high reps and then progressing to heavier, more intense sets over time. That's probably not a bad idea if someone is new to lifting or even has experience but hasn't lifted in a while. Basically you're starting out learning (or relearning) the movements with good form, before progressing to weights that are heavy enough to cause injury if form breaks down. But I would think you should be able to progress pretty quickly through that phase.
Old 09-11-17, 10:09 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
^^ best post yet.

anyway, from 5 minutes of reading the above matches what I came away with, but you can find 5 different strategies on the first 5 google results for "weightlifting for cyclists"
Old 09-11-17, 11:37 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Took the bike to the polo field track with the new 160mm Power2Max crankset tonight. So far they feel really good. Similar winds to last time with the old cranks. Not a direct comparison though because old cranks had stages, and I didn't have the Bluetooth speaker this time. But still.

Last time with 172.5 stages:
Aero hoods, 306w = 23.7mph

Today:
296w aero hoods = 24.7
294w IAB = 25.1
294w drops = 24.4

I did a full 20 minutes last time but this time it was rainy with lightning and it was late so I just did 5 minutes each. So I didn't get a really good feel for power comparison between the old stages and the P2M.

I havent moved the bars, so IAB is similar height as before. Aero hoods and drops are governed by degree of elbow bend so they were probably a bit lower in front. I may get a slightly longer stem now that I can actually lean forward but I don't think Ill end up getting a -17. I think the -6 I have has plenty of room for me to bend my elbows.
Old 09-11-17, 11:59 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by jsk
It's been a while since I read Friel, but I'd be surprised if he recommends 50-rep sets anymore (if he ever did).
I probably misquoted Friel, but I thought what I said was the gist of it. However we can agree he never said anything about 50 reps. Here's what I could find, but I need to search the Bible to see what he says about all this.

Joe Friel - Should You Lift Weights?

https://www.trainingbible.com/bkp-all...th_Program.pdf

Anyway one thing missing from this discussion about weights is the phases. Just like with bike training, you don't just jump on the bike and start doing intervals (start with Base). His strength training program is similar - so maybe there's a time for low weights/high reps, and a time for high weight/short reps.

my race videos
Old 09-12-17, 04:05 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
However we can agree he never said anything about 50 reps. .
Actually, I'm pretty sure he did. I wish I had my first edition copy of training bible.

At any rate there is loads of stuff on the internet of 100 rep workouts, for a variety of sports, including cycling.

https://mtbcoach.com/training-sessio...ngth-workouts/
Old 09-12-17, 10:25 AM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I probably misquoted Friel, but I thought what I said was the gist of it. However we can agree he never said anything about 50 reps. Here's what I could find, but I need to search the Bible to see what he says about all this.

Joe Friel - Should You Lift Weights?

https://www.trainingbible.com/bkp-all...th_Program.pdf
Well, that PDF would not be something I'd recommend as there's some dubious advice in there. Just because Friel is an expert on endurance training doesn't make him an expert on strength training (even for endurance athletes). The instructions for barbell squats and deadlifts are pretty awful, and I don't think leg curls/extensions are useful/necessary (except maybe for body builders).

As far as reps/set, higher reps are perfectly fine for body weight stuff like push-ups, plyometrics, etc.

Anyway one thing missing from this discussion about weights is the phases. Just like with bike training, you don't just jump on the bike and start doing intervals (start with Base). His strength training program is similar - so maybe there's a time for low weights/high reps, and a time for high weight/short reps.
Cyclists lifting weights once or twice a week don't need to get too complex in their strength programming. It's not like we're trying to peak for a key competition like a competitive lifter would. Volume might be slightly higher in the off-season and drop a bit later in the season, but other than that a simple linear progression will be just fine (gradually increase the weight over time, but otherwise keep to pretty much the same program). What works for me is to lift twice/week early in the season, then I can get away with once/week to maintain strength once the race season is in full swing.
Old 09-12-17, 01:39 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by jsk
Well, that PDF would not be something I'd recommend as there's some dubious advice in there. Just because Friel is an expert on endurance training doesn't make him an expert on strength training (even for endurance athletes). The instructions for barbell squats and deadlifts are pretty awful, and I don't think leg curls/extensions are useful/necessary (except maybe for body builders).

As far as reps/set, higher reps are perfectly fine for body weight stuff like push-ups, plyometrics, etc.

Cyclists lifting weights once or twice a week don't need to get too complex in their strength programming. It's not like we're trying to peak for a key competition like a competitive lifter would. Volume might be slightly higher in the off-season and drop a bit later in the season, but other than that a simple linear progression will be just fine (gradually increase the weight over time, but otherwise keep to pretty much the same program). What works for me is to lift twice/week early in the season, then I can get away with once/week to maintain strength once the race season is in full swing.
The pdf does look outdated..

What I'm learning here is maybe you should be writing the books, not that Friel guy.

my race videos
Old 09-12-17, 04:16 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jsk

The pdf does look outdated..

What I'm learning here is maybe you should be writing the books, not that Friel guy.
yeah but he already gave away the entire program for free!
Old 09-12-17, 04:54 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Freil doesn't even follow old Friel... I like that he is willing to change his opinions as new evidence comes in.

I know nothing.
Old 09-13-17, 05:19 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Freil doesn't even follow old Friel
I like that you spelled his name two different ways in the same sentence. Reminds me of this local establishment:

Not sure how to spell it? Split the difference!
Old 09-13-17, 11:21 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tried some @mattmerval high speed sprint practice today. The hardest part was thinking of a smooth road with a hill that leads into a straight with good visibility and low traffic. The spot I ended up trying worked great.

The only thing I'm not sure about is maybe the hill is too steep. I was consistently starting the sprint at 36-38 mph. That's faster than the sprint leadout for most of the races I do. Still, it was fun to go that fast and it felt fine to put power down at that speed.
Old 09-13-17, 11:54 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
what about the dip on my road when heading north, like right where my mailbox is? You can get up to 26-27mph without having to do much, like 100-120w.
Old 09-13-17, 11:57 AM
mattm
**** that

I tried some @mattmerval high speed sprint practice today. The hardest part was thinking of a smooth road with a hill that leads into a straight with good visibility and low traffic. The spot I ended up trying worked great.

The only thing I'm not sure about is maybe the hill is too steep. I was consistently starting the sprint at 36-38 mph. That's faster than the sprint leadout for most of the races I do. Still, it was fun to go that fast and it felt fine to put power down at that speed.
faster the better!

it'll make sprints in actual races feel even easier.

at least, that's what i tell myself.

my race videos
Old 09-13-17, 12:07 PM
rankin116

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did my first lunch ride on my lunch break today. It worked out really well, despite the weird looks and diverted eyes of many coworkers. The people here just aren't into fitness of any sort, much like a large portion of the folks in rural NC. I must look like an alien to them.

5min of 15s on/15s off, 6x1min all out, 12min Z3, and will probably add 30-45 min on the rollers at an easy pace tonight. Cross is most definitely here y'all.
Old 09-13-17, 12:20 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I like that you spelled his name two different ways in the same sentence. Reminds me of this local establishment:

Not sure how to spell it? Split the difference!
how's it spelled at hot W**ners 1 tho
Old 09-13-17, 12:29 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
Did my first lunch ride on my lunch break today. It worked out really well, despite the weird looks and diverted eyes of many coworkers. The people here just aren't into fitness of any sort, much like a large portion of the folks in rural NC. I must look like an alien to them.

5min of 15s on/15s off, 6x1min all out, 12min Z3, and will probably add 30-45 min on the rollers at an easy pace tonight. Cross is most definitely here y'all.
You'll get used to that mixed look of guilt, confusion, and resentment soon enough.
Old 09-13-17, 12:41 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
what about the dip on my road when heading north, like right where my mailbox is? You can get up to 26-27mph without having to do much, like 100-120w.

Thought about that but it's not much of a hill, and visibility up the road is not great. Plus I terrorize your neighbors enough as it is.
Old 09-13-17, 03:22 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I've been doing FTP stuff in the couple of weeks since the season ended. 2x20s, 2x30s, 4x15s, etc. the 2x30 is maybe my favorite thing, they're long enough that you can get into a nice groove, but not so hard that you want to die at the end. I actually thought about doing a 3rd one when I did these on Monday, but decided the amount of time it'd take to recover from it wasn't worth the extra interval. I think I'll try to work myself up to 2x45 at the same watts or higher, since there are a few months until base starts and I basically get to do whatever I want thru the end of October.
Old 09-13-17, 03:54 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,645 Posts
Base for me starts (informally) in October. Until then I'm JRA and and trying to increase volume. Didn't stop me from slammin' a 5' interval up Balboa Avenue this morning. Power was, lower...

I've had a pretty low volume last two months. First it was genuine (warranted) laziness, then it was being busy with moving and work, then an injury. I've got a ways to go, but I'll be back before too long.
Old 09-13-17, 04:13 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It's not been a good week for riding my bike, but I'll treat it like a recovery week.
Old 09-13-17, 06:47 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
how's it spelled at hot W**ners 1 tho
Is a rebus of hot weiner/wiener going to get me in trouble, probably.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.