Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Noticed a trend.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Noticed a trend.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-18, 06:32 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Noticed a trend.

People commuting by bike in the morning are always smiling. Always waving and saying hello / good morning to each other.
People commuting by car in the morning are hardly ever smiling. Always mad at something, always in a rush to get somewhere, trying not to make eye contact.
I have even noticed this about myself, hence I made a decision to commute by bike as much as I can this year. Even go me a dedicated bike to do so. Now there are no excuses hahaha. Already looking forward to a ride back home, despite the rain / t-storms in the forecast.
Old 08-16-18, 07:28 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Yeah, we tend to be enjoying ourselves and most people commuting by car are just enduring it.
Old 08-16-18, 08:03 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Part of it is motorists seem to be more sensitive to any traffic holdups. Cyclists, not so much.

Another factor is having the option not to drive. Many, many motorists (rightly or wrongly) truly believe driving is their only option, so they feel trapped in the car and in traffic.

Case in point: I don't mind driving, or even getting stuck in traffic because I don't have to do it every day!

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 08-16-18 at 08:49 AM. Reason: have!
Old 08-16-18, 08:09 AM
CrewFan

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo, Breezer Liberty r 1.3+, Fuji Absolute 2.1

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Part of it is motorists seem to be more sensitive to any traffic holdups. Cyclists, not so much.

Another factor is having the option not to drive. Many, many motorists (rightly or wrongly) truly believe driving is their only option, so they feel trapped in the car and in traffic.

Case in point: I don't mind driving, or even getting stuck in traffic because I don't half to do it every day!
I agree with what you are saying and would add riding gives more flexibility in how we get home. I know that I can hop in the car or hop on the bike, so I can have more control of how commute to work. Having choices is empowering!
Old 08-16-18, 09:44 AM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Mid-summer when it's 115 in the afternoon I probably look more like a car commuter while riding my bike focused on getting home to the air conditioning as fast as I can then getting frustrated when I just miss a light. Sitting there with no breeze, car next to me pouring heat off the radiator, sun beating down... But then light goes green and the built up sweat evaporates and starts cooling me off and all is right with the world again.

I think AlmostTrick hit the nail on the head. Just about everybody I know is 100% certain that car is the only way they can get to work. No way would a bike work for them for even part of the commute. Just about everybody has to get to work somehow, but not all of us get go for a bike ride at both ends of the day.
Old 08-16-18, 10:12 AM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I figured the motorists were frowning because I blithely fly the bird at their bumper to bumper mornings as I cruise over mopac on Fritz!

Most other cyclist I encounter are exercising and not commuting in the mornings. They aren't unfriendly but they don't generally acknowledge me. I save my indignation for the jack-hards in the cars, it's righteous!

Edit: we may arrive to work at the same time but at least I'm sweating my balls off!
Advantage DanBraden!

Last edited by DanBraden; 08-16-18 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-16-18, 04:12 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadKill
Mid-summer when it's 115 in the afternoon I probably look more like a car commuter while riding my bike focused on getting home to the air conditioning as fast as I can then getting frustrated when I just miss a light. Sitting there with no breeze, car next to me pouring heat off the radiator, sun beating down... But then light goes green and the built up sweat evaporates and starts cooling me off and all is right with the world again.
Hey man, that is me. I love that start up cooling!.
But I make an effort to grin like a maniac.
Scares 'em
Old 08-16-18, 05:46 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
People commuting by bike in the morning are always smiling. Always waving and saying hello / good morning to each other.
No they don't, at least not in my area... Personally I don't wave at every cyclists I see and I don't expect every cyclist to wave at me.
Old 08-16-18, 06:00 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick

Case in point: I don't mind driving, or even getting stuck in traffic because I don't have to do it every day!
Not me. There are 2 traffic lights on my ride to work, and I seem to just miss them most every day. That annoys me even more than when I just miss them a gosh darned gain in my car.

Last edited by no motor?; 08-21-18 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-16-18, 06:01 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
People commuting by car in the morning are hardly ever smiling. Always mad at something, always in a rush to get somewhere, trying not to make eye contact.
I have even noticed this about myself, hence I made a decision to commute by bike as much as I can this year. Even go me a dedicated bike to do so. Now there are no excuses hahaha. Already looking forward to a ride back home, despite the rain / t-storms in the forecast.
Absolutely. Lots of people prefer to drive even when there are choices, but I notice they don't enjoy driving anyway.

My previous job was 13.5 miles each way. It was too much to ride every day, so I did it two or three days a week, and those were my best days at work.

I started my current job six months ago, and I ride every day, as it's 6.5 miles each way. Since I ride every day, I'm putting in the same number of miles per week as before or actually slightly more. I even ride when the weather is bad. My alternate mode is the NYC subway which is rarely fun. I realized a bad day on the bike is better than a good day on the subway. Sometimes I dread getting out on the bike, but once I start rolling, I never regret it.

And I smile when I ride, often unconsciously. People smile back at me, and then I realize I have a permanent smile.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-16-18, 06:40 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I don't know if I am smiling when I'm riding my bike to work in the morning. I might just be too focused on the road/traffic to be smiling. But I do know this: I am often annoyed at stop lights when I'm behind the wheel of a car. On a bike it doesn't bother me one bit. In fact, sometimes I welcome the break.
Old 08-16-18, 08:02 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I miss that anticipatory cheerfulness, toward the end of the day, knowing I had a bike ride to look forward to
Old 08-16-18, 08:32 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I miss that anticipatory cheerfulness, toward the end of the day, knowing I had a bike ride to look forward to
That's why "bike to work week" should be called "bike from work week."
Old 08-17-18, 08:03 AM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I'm sitting at my desk right now, looking at my bike, patiently awaiting the ride home which is still more than 6 hours away
Old 08-17-18, 08:10 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by medic75
patiently awaiting the ride home which is still more than 6 hours away
*sigh* nice bike & pedals! btw
Old 08-17-18, 10:31 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I don't know if I am smiling when I'm riding my bike to work in the morning. I might just be too focused on the road/traffic to be smiling. But I do know this: I am often annoyed at stop lights when I'm behind the wheel of a car. On a bike it doesn't bother me one bit. In fact, sometimes I welcome the break.
I wish I could. I just can't find a way to make waiting in the hot sun when work is <1/2 mile away pleasant.
Old 08-17-18, 09:33 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Oddly enough, I see even more smiles when the weather is worse. Today it was raining when I left for work. Every cyclist I met was smiling. I notice the same thing during the winter, and on longer rides in wet weather.

It's like we're getting away with cheating, but I'm not sure what we're cheating at.
Old 08-18-18, 10:42 AM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Oddly enough, I see even more smiles when the weather is worse. Today it was raining when I left for work. Every cyclist I met was smiling. I notice the same thing during the winter, and on longer rides in wet weather.

It's like we're getting away with cheating, but I'm not sure what we're cheating at.
absolutely THIS!
My best commute days are going through “some weather” and I don’t know why. I think maybe humans are just meant to be outside more and rain and snow on your face reminds us of that fact more than a “nice day”.
Old 08-18-18, 11:03 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
And to think that the moms of the world have conspired for centuries to keep anyone from finding just how much fun it can be, to ride a bike out in really foul weather, and literally laughing at it.

"Hahaha, is that the best you can throw at me???"

I dunno about other states, but in California at least, what people here consider "really bad weather" IS pretty laughable most of the time.
Old 08-18-18, 11:10 AM
bromptoniguous

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadKill

I think AlmostTrick hit the nail on the head. Just about everybody I know is 100% certain that car is the only way they can get to work. No way would a bike work for them for even part of the commute. Just about everybody has to get to work somehow, but not all of us get go for a bike ride at both ends of the day.
Yes, this is us for months of the year. I still would rather bike than drive most places. I only mind the rain when it's so bad I cant see.
Old 08-20-18, 06:39 AM
crazyravr

Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly

absolutely THIS!
My best commute days are going through “some weather” and I don’t know why. I think maybe humans are just meant to be outside more and rain and snow on your face reminds us of that fact more than a “nice day”.
Funny you say that. Last friday I left work in a rain, then I got dry and then I got absolutely soaked in a downpour. But I was smiling and enjoying the ride for some stupid reason haha
Old 08-20-18, 08:20 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Funny you say that. Last friday I left work in a rain, then I got dry and then I got absolutely soaked in a downpour. But I was smiling and enjoying the ride for some stupid reason haha
You know that scene from Shawshank Redemption where Andy Dufresne crawls from the sewer pipe and into the river? He rips his shirt off, holds his arms out and laughs into the rain.
Old 08-20-18, 10:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly

absolutely THIS!
Yes indeed. Same for walking dogs in foul weather. I'm glad to get out, almost every time. I'm sad we lost our dog in the fall, and we won't be getting one in the foreseeable future.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-21-18, 06:16 AM
crazyravr

But today we are getting pounded by rain, thunder storms and chances of tornado pop ups in Ontario. I am glad I have a choice hahaha
Old 08-22-18, 09:32 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 191 Posts
But today we are getting pounded by rain, thunder storms and chances of tornado pop ups in Ontario. I am glad I have a choice hahaha
I wait for a break in the heavy rain and go for it. Since I change out of my shirt and tie into a t-shirt and shorts, I don't mind the rain so much.

Now that I cycle about 6.5 miles to work each morning, I see lots of the same folks either walking or cycling, and often nod or wish good morning to them. It depends on the individual, so now we've got a pattern that we keep. I usually pass by houses with folks having their morning coffee out front and usually they'll nod or say hello. It is different on the bike as opposed to the car - you are not incubated from the world and others. You're a part of everybody's morning story!

I will echo others' comments about the positive feeling of getting on the bike each morning and evening. I look forward to it. This morning I helped out a fellow who had forgotten to close his gas cap. Positive vibes onward!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.