Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Local Sprint triathlon = I signed up today

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Old 05-29-19, 04:36 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts

Going to try the local tri again in town. Nice local short 1/4 mile swim 10 mile ride 5K run. Lake community so I can use lake to train, I already ride and will know the course very well. I run like a fat fellow but I have until late July so 2 months to lose weight and not be the Obese Old fella in tights,
Lake Mohawk NJ is the location,
Old 05-29-19, 11:11 PM
Ptcycles

Bikes: 73 Schwinn Continental, (my first), 1993 Nobelette, Cannondale 500,Team Fugi, Raleigh Supercourse, Raleigh Gran Sport, 1976 Krystal, Tsunami, Giant Boulder SE, Series 30 Paramount, Scott Unitrack, As long as I have room the Hoard will grow...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Sprint...

Originally Posted by thehammerdog
Going to try the local tri again in town. Nice local short 1/4 mile swim 10 mile ride 5K run. Lake community so I can use lake to train, I already ride and will know the course very well. I run like a fat fellow but I have until late July so 2 months to lose weight and not be the Obese Old fella in tights,
Did my only sprint at age 57. I love to bike so I trained hardest on the bike and only marginally swimming and running. Come to find out you use a different set of muscles, swimming and running. Biking doesn't challenge those muscle groups, so train hardest swimming and running. I also thought I would run out of steam if I pushed too hard on any leg of the race. Not so. Give each section 100%. Be happy to finish strong. I will try again in two years at age 67.
Good Luck
Old 06-03-19, 10:23 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I lived with a friend and his family for the summer at Lake Mohawk in 1979. Actually, I think that the town was Sparta. We lived off East Shore Trail, right on the lake. Sailed snipe class with the lake club there. Great small town and a very chilly lake due to its depth. Good luck.
Old 06-03-19, 12:04 PM
roundrocktom

Bikes: Catrike Dumont

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
It sounds like you've done these before, so nothing to add.

For anyone new who is thinking about it:
Lots of open water swimming, totally different from pool swimming. I roll onto my back and do backstrokes, works fine on calm waters or in a pool to relax. Open water I ended doing about 400M of breaststroke and nearly died of exhaustion. River currents and wind added to horrible conditions.

Bike - everyone gets this.

Run. Not sure where to start, look for a program called Couch to 5K.

Going from biking to running is called "the brick." Yes, my legs felt like bricks.

I'm still a noob to this swim-bike-run stuff, but having fun staying in shape. Just don't like getting up at 4:30 AM to get a parking spot and checked in. I am looking forward to Santa Cruz in August. First ocean swim, what could go wrong?
Old 06-03-19, 12:21 PM
roundrocktom

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Yesterdays work out.
Bike I use in the avatar. Three wheels, so three times to chance to hit a nail!
Training day, so swim 100 yards. Rest think about what I am doing (remember to breath, stretch, and glide). Often I forget to breath!

I have Parkinson's, but doesn't stop me from swim-bike-run events
Likes For roundrocktom:
Old 06-03-19, 02:12 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I lived with a friend and his family for the summer at Lake Mohawk in 1979. Actually, I think that the town was Sparta. We lived off East Shore Trail, right on the lake. Sailed snipe class with the lake club there. Great small town and a very chilly lake due to its depth. Good luck.
Thanks.
I live in Lake Mohawk and yes it's a nice place. The race is about 10 yrs old now and a great event.
I swim like a rick.
Come on back the Lake Mohawk area is fantastic lots of cool places to eat and drink.
Scott
Old 06-20-19, 06:24 AM
ribikeguy
Just another bike nut

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did my first sprint three years ago and was hooked! I’ve done 10 of them now, Olympic in August, 70.3 next year, then full 140.6 when I’m 49, want to do a full before I’m 50!
Old 06-20-19, 07:42 AM
roundrocktom

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ribikeguy
I did my first sprint three years ago and was hooked! I’ve done 10 of them now, Olympic in August, 70.3 next year, then full 140.6 when I’m 49, want to do a full before I’m 50!
Fantastic. I've met a 76-year-old who started when they retired at 65. Just amazing. Keep on moving!

What is your "goto" food/drink for the events? With a Sprint I don't have to worry about fuel, just enough electrolytes to keep everything running smoothly.
Old 06-21-19, 12:19 PM
TheRiles

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good on you! I've been doing them for about 3 years now.
Old 07-10-19, 06:22 PM
glenncz

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
OK, I'm in. I'm sixty and have been doing doing it all for 35 yrs. Not so good with running anymore though, possibly because I have mild COPD of maybe it's just age. Luckily i have a nice 100yd pond closeby I can swim in I did about 5 or 6 Tris about 15 years ago, but have been only riding the bike hard the past 6 yrs. (2200 miles last yr). After a swim last the Tri though started eating on my brain and after a swim tonight I thought, let's look up a Sprint. I'll have no trouble with the bike part, and I should be able to easily handle the 300 yr swim and with some effort the 3 mile run(but i don't like running on macadam). One of my problems I've had is sore feet with running, so i've only been running on dirt, but that seems to have gone away this past year since I moved and don't have to carry firewood anymore.
In any event looking forward to a short Tri in a month will put a little "zest" in my training..
Old 07-24-19, 01:37 PM
Mikenobike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Good luck and have fun!
Old 07-26-19, 05:11 PM
thehammerdog

Tomorrow I RACE!!!! ALL packed up gonna drink and stretch tonight up early get there by 6:00am luckily 1 mile down the road so not to shabby. I got ear plugs and a compression top to wear in water and for entire race to hide the big soft untanned belly.
Wish me well. I hope to be in top 10% on bike route so time will tell 300 people signed up.
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 07-31-19, 05:15 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Tomorrow I RACE!!!! ALL packed up gonna drink and stretch tonight up early get there by 6:00am luckily 1 mile down the road so not to shabby. I got ear plugs and a compression top to wear in water and for entire race to hide the big soft untanned belly.
Wish me well. I hope to be in top 10% on bike route so time will tell 300 people signed up.
So, How did it go?
Old 07-31-19, 08:42 AM
OhioJTrek

Bikes: 2019 Domane SL 5

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
so, how did it go?
+1
Old 07-31-19, 09:49 AM
thehammerdog

Originally Posted by texaspandj
So, How did it go?
Well, not as well as I would have liked. This fella did not swim well (last swim was 4-5 yrs ago) and figured I could fake it but I could not. Swam like a rock, panic, thought I would drown but survived 1/4 mile swim, rode OK but was wiped out from swim, ran poooooorly 30 plus mins for 5K/..But all in all learned that need to actually train .
Swimming is no joke
Old 07-31-19, 11:57 AM
roundrocktom

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Well, not as well as I would have liked. This fella did not swim well (last swim was 4-5 yrs ago) and figured I could fake it but I could not. Swam like a rock, panic, thought I would drown but survived 1/4 mile swim, rode OK but was wiped out from swim, ran poooooorly 30 plus mins for 5K/..But all in all learned that need to actually train .
Swimming is no joke
You didn't drown and a bonus point for biking and running.

For swimming, I went from freestyle to back stoke (time to catch my breath and relax) then back to freestyle. Open water swimming is a whole new challenge. I missed the turn buoy and kept heading out into the lake until a Kayak spotted me. Still, you had fun, and that is the biggest thing. Training and open water swim are good things.
Wet suit and gear packed — Ready for my next adventure.
Old 08-06-19, 08:41 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Swimming is no joke

hammnerdog...
I'm not slamming you, but using your experience as yet another example. Congratulations on finishing! So often I tell people who tell me that they're signing up for XX triathlon...and they figure they can survive the "short" swim and muscle their way through it..."you MUST get experience in the open water!" Just yesterday an acquaintance told me a similar story about a friend of their's, an accomplished team/pool swimmer, who had a terrible time getting through the "short" open water swim at a recent sprint tri. Whether it's lack of proper swimming technique, fear and apprehension about swimming in open water, or swimming in such close proximity (full-contact) of other swimmers...the swim is by far the most commonly misconceived discipline among first-time triathletes. Even for experienced pool swimmers.

Dan
Old 08-06-19, 05:44 PM
thehammerdog

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
hammnerdog...
I'm not slamming you, but using your experience as yet another example. Congratulations on finishing! So often I tell people who tell me that they're signing up for XX triathlon...and they figure they can survive the "short" swim and muscle their way through it..."you MUST get experience in the open water!" Just yesterday an acquaintance told me a similar story about a friend of their's, an accomplished team/pool swimmer, who had a terrible time getting through the "short" open water swim at a recent sprint tri. Whether it's lack of proper swimming technique, fear and apprehension about swimming in open water, or swimming in such close proximity (full-contact) of other swimmers...the swim is by far the most commonly misconceived discipline among first-time triathletes. Even for experienced pool swimmers.

Dan
Dan,
I get the message and agree how ever Not a Newby to the sport did 1st Tri in 1986.....competed in the St Anthonys Tri Iron qualifier A 1 MILE OPEN WATER (ocean) swim in 90's for me I just forgotten how dam difficult it is to swim well.