Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wrestling tires off tubeless rims

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-03-21, 04:11 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts

I just realized I posted this question under a different title last week. I apologize for the senior moment! I've deleted the rest of my original post on this thread in hopes to minimize redundancy. I appreciate the comments already made.

Last edited by Camilo; 07-03-21 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-03-21, 04:42 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Same problem with my spouse's bike, a new Surly with 650b "tubeless ready" wheels and tubed tires. We have concluded that these tires are not serviceable while on the road, since my spouse's hands are just not strong enough. Another pair of tires was so tight we could install the rear but not the front, and the shop graciously took them back from us. Tubeless technology seems like a neat idea except for this one thing, which is its Achilles heel.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 07-03-21, 08:09 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I've not had issues getting non-tubeless tires on or off my tubeless rims, luckily. In fact, I just put some Pirelli's P Zero Race Classics on my wife's Bontrager Aeolus Pro 37's and they went on ridiculously easy almost like the Pirelli's were designed for the Aeolus'. Even the Pirelli P Zero Race TLR's went on pretty easy on some Aeolus Pro 3V rims, they required a little more effort, but the non-Tubeless Pirelli's will not cause any issues with on the road tube change if needed. I think the ETRTO sizing is key for RIm\Tire compatibility