Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Looking at a Bridgestone XO-2 >>>>

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-10-09, 07:46 AM
JDELUNA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Briefly saw a used on this weekend and it is white and had 26 inch wheels on it, pretty used but looks OK. Anyone have any information on this bike like what year and components it originally came with ?? Also how should this bike be sized ?? Like a rode bike ?? I am thinking of going back and trying it out and maybe buy it. Thanks for any info.
Old 08-10-09, 09:50 AM
Johnny Alien
I drank the Kool-Aid!

Bikes: Rivendell Roadini, Rivendell Charlie Gallop Protovelo, Rivendell Clem L

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
That would be a first year (1992) model XO-2 in pearl white. The XO-2 was only made for two years and in limited numbers. In 1992 the XO-1 and XO-2 were the only two lugged models and both were made in Japan. In 92 the XO-2 had a moustache bar like the XO-1 but instead of aero levers and bar-end shifters it had grips, MTB style brakes and thumb shifters. Overall I think I prefer that look to the standard moustache with aero setup. The 92 was available in green and pearl white. In 1993 the XO-2 was the only model that came with drop bars (which I assume they did to counter-balance the negative press that the moustache bars were getting) and came in a purple color. All versions of the XO-2 were nice bikes with lugged triple butted Cro-Moly frames and decent Shimano equiment. I would size it more like a road bike even though it has 26" wheels. If it is a good price buy it quick and post some photos!
Old 08-10-09, 10:10 AM
sonatageek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
'All versions of the XO-2 were nice bikes with lugged triple butted Cro-Moly frames...'

While I agree with the nice part, the XO-2 did not have a lugged frame. I have a green on sitting the basement right now, bought new by me, and it is TIG welded.
Old 08-10-09, 10:13 AM
Johnny Alien
I drank the Kool-Aid!

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
In 92 the only lugged frame was the XO-1? I thought both the 1 and 2 were lugged. I know that in 93 that they were lugged all the way down to the XO-3. I should have looked at the catalog first I guess.
Old 08-10-09, 10:44 AM
JDELUNA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I will let you all know hopefully sometime tonight if it is lugged or not.
Old 08-10-09, 10:59 AM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12172 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 1,094 Posts
I had a purplish XO2 and I remember it as lugged. Sis is riding it now, if that turns into a fight I can ask her.

I rode it for years. I tend to be in between sizes on a lot of bikes. It was a bit small.

Good points.. it's rugged. I can't imagine riding it to death unless you want to put 100K on it.

Bad points... it's slow. It is much like a touring bike in some ways, and because of it there is nothing you can do so that it isn't slow.

But it would make a great commuter, fun bike. You could even tour on it. With rugged tires you can even ride dirt. It came with 1.5" tires. I suggest getting somewhat larger and nicer tires.
Old 08-10-09, 03:52 PM
Johnny Alien
I drank the Kool-Aid!

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Nope...no fight, he is right on I just was not remembering correctly. The XO-1 was the only lugged frame in 1992. In 1993 the XO's were lugged from the XO-3 up and then in 1994 there was no XO-1 or XO-2 model. Also the moustache bars on the 1992 XO-2 were not Nitto made which I think is one of the reason it did not have bar end shifters.

Please post pictures when you get it!
Old 08-10-09, 04:00 PM
Johnny Alien
I drank the Kool-Aid!

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Some photos from the internet...

A 1992 XO-2 in pearl white - non-lugged (this one had Nitto bars added):

A 1992 XO-2 in green:

A 1993 XO-2 in purple with drop bars (the bar and stem are replacements as I think the 93 XO-2 had a dirtdrop style stem):

Old 08-10-09, 07:43 PM
sonatageek

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Ah that green one above is just like my bike, but with a rack and what look like un-damaged Deore shifters.
Old 08-13-09, 12:41 PM
JDELUNA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I ended up riding the bike for about 20 minutes and it felt solid. Now mind you that since this is a 17 year old bike it looked like it I ended up paying $50 for it. I looks to have everything original except the moustache bars. Currently it has a 3 1/2 inch riser bar which is fine for me, as this bike is more of a cruising the beach bike and neighborhood riding bike. I do plan on getting it repainted or powder coated in the winter and then rebuilding it with Shimano XT stuff. Also since it has a 1inch head tube, I am thinking of installing a Vintage RockShox Mag21 with a 1inch steerer on it. What do you all think ??
Old 08-13-09, 07:56 PM
Johnny Alien
I drank the Kool-Aid!

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Great price on that remember to post some pictures.

Honestly unless the paint was utterly beat I would not repaint but that is just me. Also I would not put a RockShox on it either. That's a fairly rare bike so I would try to keep it original.

Just my opinion though.
Old 08-13-09, 09:10 PM
ummbnb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my 92 and I LOVE her!! It's getting ready to go under the knife and will come out with some spiffy leather bar covers and fenders. I ride her everyday with much love and affection. I agree about being a bit slow...but I still pass folks on my commute from time to time...so she's not *that* slow.

Last edited by ummbnb; 08-13-09 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-13-09, 10:37 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Alien
Great price on that remember to post some pictures.

Honestly unless the paint was utterly beat I would not repaint but that is just me. Also I would not put a RockShox on it either. That's a fairly rare bike so I would try to keep it original.

Just my opinion though.
Agree on all counts.
Old 08-15-09, 01:29 PM
JDELUNA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't seem to find my calipers to measure. Anyone know what size seatpost the XO-2 has ??? Thanks again for any info.
Old 08-15-09, 01:55 PM
Johnny Alien
I drank the Kool-Aid!

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
27. It came stock with a Kalloy setapost..230mm

Edit to add: Perhaps someone can verify this for me. My 1994 XO-3 has a 27 post but I see alot of XO's also coming with 26.2 Kalloy posts. All of the stems have the same id's (#242 and #243) but different sizes so I am not sure, it will be 27 or 26.2 I guess.

Last edited by Johnny Alien; 08-15-09 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-15-09, 08:00 PM
JDELUNA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought some calipers from Harbor Freight and measured it. My 1992 Bridgestone XO-2 has a seatpost of 26.2.
Old 08-15-09, 08:29 PM
Johnny Alien
I drank the Kool-Aid!

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Yeah I think I have it figured out. In 92 the XO-1 had a 27 post and all other XO had 26.2

In 93 the XO-1 and XO-2 had 27. The XO-3 "might" have been 27 as well but the XO-4 and 5 were 26.2

In 94 the XO-3 had a 27 and the other XO models were 26.2

It looks almost like the lugged models had a 27 diameter seatpost while the non-lugged models had 26.2. The only exception might be the XO-3 in 93 that had a lugged frame. I can't confirm what diameter that seatpost is.
Old 08-15-09, 08:58 PM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12172 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 1,094 Posts
Originally Posted by JDELUNA
I am thinking of installing a Vintage RockShox Mag21 with a 1inch steerer on it. What do you all think ??
If you are going to be on the road, there is just no need for shocks, and couple reasons
not to use them. Especially old ones.

Just put on larger tires if you want a nicer ride. There are some nice two inch slicks out there, that size you run soft.

You want a good saddle like a B17, a rack, prob some new tires, maybe a tuneup.
Get it running nice, and then start worrying about changes. Frankly, it is what it is.
Most changes you could make would be lateral moves, not progress.... with a real chance at making things worse instead of better.
Old 08-16-09, 10:11 AM
JDELUNA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode the XO-2 on at the Virginia Beach Boardwalk yesterday morning. 3 1/2 miles from the begining to the other end of the boardwalk, or up and back for 7 miles total. Wow what a nice comfortable ride. It currently has a 3 1/2 inch high rise mountain bar and I actually like it with that. The old Shimano DX top mount thumb Shifters worked great.
Old 03-01-16, 02:04 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
This is a 7 year old thread but I thought I'd update it with my 1993 XO-2. I really like the design of the bike. I think that road bike geometry and 26 inch wheels is a nice combo; of course in '93, there were no 29ers so the world has changed. Still they're stout wheels and the bike rides great. I've completely rebuilt the bike. The only parts that are original are the bar, stem, seatpost, and headset. I'm running it 3 x 8 with brifter and a trekking crank:

Old 03-01-16, 07:00 PM
DIMcyclist
No longer active

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My '93 XO-3 is red, made in Japan, fully lugged (tri-butted Ishiwata EXT w/ matching box-crown fork), and it most definitely has a 27.0 seat tube.

That said, I've actually seen a couple of green '93 XO-3s that had unicrown forks like the XO-4 & 5.

Last edited by DIMcyclist; 03-01-16 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-03-20, 12:18 AM
Wickyb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
X0-2 lugs

Originally Posted by sonatageek
'All versions of the XO-2 were nice bikes with lugged triple butted Cro-Moly frames...'
My 93 purple drop bar is lugged
While I agree with the nice part, the XO-2 did not have a lugged frame. I have a green on sitting the basement right now, bought new by me, and it is TIG welded.
I h
Old 07-07-21, 11:46 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 497 Times in 253 Posts
Just happened on this old thread: so, I'm attaching pics of the Pristine, lugged, 1993 XO-2 I bought at our local co-op a couple years ago. All I changed was substituting some fatter Gravel Grinders for the Original Specialized tires. It was a present for my grand daughter. Had a very small frame, but she is petite, so a perfect fit. I have seen 93 XO-2's in both lugged and tigged versions. Don

1993 XO-2, Moustache bar, Bar-Cons

93 XO-2, One of the lugged ones

93 XO-2 with the Classic, lugged fork
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 07-07-21, 01:25 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
What a lovely, pristine straddle cable.

I have to focus on something like that, because I'll just sit here and drool if I look at the rest of the bike. Completely worth the zombie thread.
Old 07-07-21, 01:40 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
Just happened on this old thread: so, I'm attaching pics of the Pristine, lugged, 1993 XO-2 I bought at our local co-op a couple years ago. All I changed was substituting some fatter Gravel Grinders for the Original Specialized tires. It was a present for my grand daughter. Had a very small frame, but she is petite, so a perfect fit. I have seen 93 XO-2's in both lugged and tigged versions. Don
Pristine is right; what a beauty.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.