Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Ride Clean

Old 12-02-15, 10:30 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I'm not really sure if your implication is that I should know this stuff. I simply don't, and don't get any emails from USAC. I don't care enough to explore why I don't get them. I don't even care about this topic beyond this conversation, but generally would rather not give more money to usac. I care ponderously little about doping, other than to mock those who get caught.
there was no implication from me.

you made a statement about how you don't care/don't know about these things when @grolby gave a short explanation. i mentioned the email and linked to the blog as a sincere way to help anyone like you who may have missed the communication, if you were curious.

all of us care/do not care about equally on these topics -- we're on a cycling-related forum.
Old 12-02-15, 10:38 AM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't focus too much on the personal part of that. It's mostly irrelevant. Guys on the same team don't know what one another are doing, I'd hardly place cartesian certainty on a guy I never met from an internet forum.

The important point I think is that for the overwhelming majority of folks this is a hobby. That which adds complexity to the hobby impacts the reality of their lives. So it's inline with the part about clean guys leaving the sport.
your earlier post seemed to react in a way as if i was accusing you of leaving the sport the moment you were tested.

i think the topic of doping (or, rather, stating or even implying someone is doping) is a serious one. i don't level accusations because there is literally no way for someone to defend himself. i erred on the side of clarifying my point with an additional post. there was no implication about whether or not you are doping -- just whether or not you will follow through with quitting the sport when this comes up. time will tell.

i think you got it, but it is important for me to clarify.

i hope you won't leave but agree with your points about how an extra hour, for some, could be the final straw.
Old 12-02-15, 10:40 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
there was no implication from me.

you made a statement about how you don't care/don't know about these things when @grolby gave a short explanation. i mentioned the email and linked to the blog as a sincere way to help anyone like you who may have missed the communication, if you were curious.

all of us care/do not care about equally on these topics -- we're on a cycling-related forum.
I was just responding to the "they've been very clear (as to the reasons)" part of his post. I literally hadn't and really couldn't hear it previously. I'm really out of the loop (and I'm ok with that).
Old 12-02-15, 10:41 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

your earlier post seemed to react in a way as if i was accusing you of leaving the sport the moment you were tested.
nope. I was just saying if I got picked I wouldn't walk away then and there and not take the test. so definitely not 'at the moment.' though perhaps later that day if I missed some plans or my teammate's wife finally made him quit to sport, or...

Last edited by gsteinb; 12-02-15 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-02-15, 10:43 AM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy STi
This is why OBRA (Oregon bike racing association, for those who don't know) will never die. Good or bad, I'm not sure.

I didn't know about this surcharge or what it's for - this forum is keeping me in the loop!
nobody dopes in oregon.

but....years ago i was driving home from a race in oregon and heard my town mentioned while listening to NPR. my ears perked up. turns out a guy i know was pulled over for a broken tail light in burns, for those who know the town. he said he was 'visiting his girlfriend', but when the officer asked for her name he said he didn't know. he's not the brightest guy.

turns out he had several hundred pounds of weed in a couple kayaks on top of the vehicle.

my town's population is a few thousand people.

probably says more about our town than oregon....
Old 12-02-15, 10:54 AM
Andy STi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nobody dopes in oregon.
We have a dispensary on every corner now! Can't tell you how many of our patients used to have "medical cards" but now they don't need them.

Really what I was thinking about are the increased costs with racing USAC vs OBRA. The vast majority of OR racers never leave the state thus they never need a USAC license. A 2016 ORBA license is $30. That's a pretty good deal and the race entrys are less too. I, on the other hand, buy both a USAC and OBRA license and may get an international license if I make the decision to race Masters cross worlds.
Old 12-02-15, 10:55 AM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
hey--in the spirit of @hack and @globecanvas ... here is the downgrade button!

split a burrito?
Dude ... You need to step up your track game. Definitely bringing down your prowess as a well rounded cyclist.
Old 12-02-15, 11:01 AM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nope. I was just saying if I got picked I wouldn't walk away then and there and not take the test. so definitely not 'at the moment.' though perhaps later that day if I missed some plans or my teammate's wife finally made him quite to sport, or...
glad we are clear.

this is the string i was referring to--when you wrote 'me saying i'm late is not an admission of doping' in response to my 'i'm curious if you'll follow through on quitting if delayed an hour'. made me think there was some confusion & you somehow thought i linked you to doping. i wouldn't do that (to anyone).

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Tahoma][I] Originally Posted by gsteinb
I just don't follow it. They can't come up with a way to effectively control doping in the pro ranks, despite biological passports, but now they're going to police the wild west of amateur racing? super meh. The day it costs me an extra hour at a race is probably the last time I pin up a number.
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Tahoma][I] Originally Posted by tetonrider
i'm curious if you actually do get tested as to what will happen -- not that you are doping, just whether you will decide the time to piss is your departure from the sport. maybe others feel the same as you.
me saying the time I'm late for something because I get stuck at a race for a test (or my car mate is late, or makes me late) is hardly an admission of doping or me saying I wouldn't take the test. I've seen my teammate incur his wife's wrath for being late because there was a crash, or traffic, to not want to deal with it. the more times one of us is late for something the more difficult it is to travel to races. at a certain point, particularly when the testing is pointless, it makes more sense to do other things with the time.
Old 12-02-15, 11:02 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
he said he was 'visiting his girlfriend', but when the officer asked for her name he said he didn't know

Old 12-02-15, 11:06 AM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a dispensary on every corner now! Can't tell you how many of our patients used to have "medical cards" but now they don't need them.

Really what I was thinking about are the increased costs with racing USAC vs OBRA. The vast majority of OR racers never leave the state thus they never need a USAC license. A 2016 ORBA license is $30. That's a pretty good deal and the race entrys are less too. I, on the other hand, buy both a USAC and OBRA license and may get an international license if I make the decision to race Masters cross worlds.
OBRA's a fantastic organization, no doubt. i've been a license holder there and can always, instantly, see how well it is run whenever i have to communicate with them.

i'm hopeful DBH will improve USAC cooperation with OBRA.

if you have to get the international license, then that's substantially more money, right? i mean, i know the international license is quite a bit higher--but are they assigning the pro doping surcharge on top of that?
Old 12-02-15, 11:09 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

"IRL" is not the point i made earlier, but since you bring it up, why make a distinction? isn't "all life" the same thing as "real life"? *scratches head*
Because you were talking about what people say in person after lurking or reading forums. Here's my Venn diagram of how I am online vs. in person.

100% overlap. A little sour, a little sweet. Initial impressions aren't always great but people grow to love me. Except kids and people who still taste too much bitter.

Originally Posted by canuckbelle
This thread couldn't possibly be more hijacked at this point

I hope to survive to the end of the year still riding. If I'm able to do the TT at Nats in May I'd call it a win regardless of how ****ty I might do!
Old 12-02-15, 11:10 AM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Dude ... You need to step up your track game. Definitely bringing down your prowess as a well rounded cyclist.
oh.....dude.....m-f-er........!!! i forgot that i was a 1 in MTB and that exposes me to the higher surcharge. i'd been thinking this was for ROAD only. i'll be damned if i'm...

@globecanvas -- my quick count/$70k estimate earlier is a bit low as not only did i ignore the crit- and TT-only racers (intentionally), i also ignored the MTB license holders by mistake. shhh-whoops!
Old 12-02-15, 11:18 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Anyway, @grolby I hope this huge derailment has convinced you up your "finish a stage race" goal to something better!

As for the surcharge and testing, I'm all for both.

Even if they just take the extra money and don't test, meh. They can use it for something useful I'm sure.

my race videos
Old 12-02-15, 11:29 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by canuckbelle
This thread couldn't possibly be more hijacked at this point
It's perfect. Being BF the goal is to hijack the thread.
Old 12-02-15, 11:29 AM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Anyway, @grolby I hope this huge derailment has convinced you up your "finish a stage race" goal to something better!
first time i think i've truly laughed out loud to a post. thanks for that.

yeah, grolby....didi you revise your goal?
Old 12-02-15, 11:30 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
I heard burritos are laced with dope. Be careful out there.
Old 12-02-15, 11:31 AM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's still December, though: it's not yet next season.
Old 12-02-15, 11:35 AM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shh... @echappist is not here to force us to adhere to robert's rules of order.

can we get some help for gsteinb to whitelist "membership@usacycling.org"???

seriously, though--you said you don't get USAC emails. i'm assuming you'd at least like to get them (even if you choose not to read them). i learned you can manage email preferences here. assuming there is not some issue with delivery/spam/blacklisting.....perhaps login to your account and then click this link to check if you're signed up.
https://www.usacycling.org/myusac/include/chg_comm_pref.php?compid=&pref=optoutemail&val=Y

or not.

Last edited by tetonrider; 12-02-15 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-02-15, 11:38 AM
Andy STi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shh... @echappist is not here to force us to adhere to robert's rules of order.

can we get some help for gsteinb to whitelist "membership@usacycling.org"???

seriously, though--you said you don't get USAC emails. i'm assuming you'd at least like to get them (even if you choose not to read them). i learned you can manage email preferences here. assuming there is not some issue with delivery/spam/blacklisting.....perhaps login to your account and then click this link to check if you're signed up.
https://www.usacycling.org/myusac/in...outemail&val=Y

or not.

I don't get them either. They probably know I'm an OBRA member...
Old 12-02-15, 11:42 AM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't get them either. They probably know I'm an OBRA member...
haha.

i actually get too many. this link helped me remove a few. i didn't know it was an option until this thing with gsteinb came up.

or maybe it was a conspiracy against road cat 1s to be excluded from that email so they wouldn't notice the surcharge? i'm just a 1 on the MTB...and they figure we are so dumb that they could send us the email and we'd still not get that it applies to us. (they were right!!)
Old 12-02-15, 11:52 AM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
Because you were talking about what people say in person after lurking or reading forums. Here's my Venn diagram of how I am online vs. in person.

100% overlap. A little sour, a little sweet. Initial impressions aren't always great but people grow to love me. Except kids and people who still taste too much bitter.
i dunno.

most of the time we talk like we're family here, as if there's a small audience, and yet i've had people who are not on here come up to me in other parts of the country and repeat things that were written here (or on strava, etc.) that definitely impacted someone's race. sometimes it has been people who don't know i read what is written here -- that's the only way i've recognized where the comments came from.

i travel a bunch for racing, so the regional element is just a particular point of curiosity for me. i also find it fascinating to hear about the people who think they're liked but their peers...until they walk away. when you just listen, you hear a lot.
Old 12-02-15, 11:53 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

glad we are clear.
I appreciate your effort to clarify.
Old 12-02-15, 12:11 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
yeah, grolby....didi you revise your goal?
F it, I'm gonna win the Tour de France next year.
Old 12-02-15, 12:15 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
F it, I'm gonna win the Tour de France next year.
nice job on the cx upgrade, by the way. read it in another post that i can't find right now. that is solid work.
Old 12-02-15, 12:18 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
nice job on the cx upgrade, by the way. read it in another post that i can't find right now. that is solid work.
Thanks! It was the "Days of Our Lives" thread. I'll index it in my next newsletter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.