Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Girl falls into cactus bushes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Girl falls into cactus bushes

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-20, 04:18 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
What struck me is what a freaking moron the guy was who was taking them off. Could he really not find a second stick to flick them off with so they would just come off and not get moved around?
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-10-20, 04:51 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
...She will laugh about it soon enough.
Might come up when she goes in for her next piercing.
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 05-10-20, 07:06 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
You found the most harmless-looking Saguaro in the desert and used a far-away shot rather than the close-up you used for the cholla. Very objective.

Here's a "real" Saguaro...

I, like most people, don’t usually take close up pictures of saguaro. The majesty of them isn’t in the close up. I assure you that the picture is of a “real saguaro”.

Here’s less of a close up of the same saguaro

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

I do happen to have close ups of another saguaro showing similar sized needles

DSCN1895 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

DSCN1896 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Close enough for you? Enough of a “real” saguaro for you?

On the other hand, your picture is a bit disingenuous as well. Your picture is of close up of a rather young cactus as can be seen by the closeness of the ribs. Here’s a picture of a couple of “young” saguaros that have similar rib spacing as yours

DSCN1898 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

those are “young” compared to my pictures in that they are 25 to 40 years old rather than 150 years like the one the bike is leaning up against. My point is cholla don’t have to be too old to be large enough to cause a rider problems if they run into one. A rider isn’t likely to run into a small saguaro in the same way that they can run into a even a small cholla. And they are far less likely to run into a large saguaro. And a saguaro isn’t going to let you take bits of it along with you.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-10-20, 07:27 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Wileyrat
I backed up into one working out in the desert, got an attitude deficiency over it and chopped it down with a machete.

I drove by it recently, and now it's a large cholla patch.
You seem to do a lot of backing into cactus. But, if cholla don’t hurt like you initially said, why did you cop the attitude and chop that one down? I, mean, it couldn’t hurt anyone, after all.

And why did you go all Machete! on the poor cactus. Although they are called “jumping cactus”, they don’t really jump. You backed into it. Take the blame and leave the poor plants alone.

Originally Posted by Wileyrat
Yeah, I have several Suguaros in my yard, and none of them look like that old spineless snaggletooth looking thing in the upper picture. They're all well armed to the ground, as are most of the Suguaros where I usually ride.
​​​​​
I’ve got lots and lots of pictures of saguaros from out in the desert. Most of them are very similar to that “old spineless snaggletooth”. It also would hardly matter if the saguaro is well armed with spines to the ground. They are tall and cylindrical, not bushy like chollas.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 05-10-20 at 07:54 PM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-10-20, 07:49 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
In the early 70s I was doing some training at Marana, AZ, and one evening I walked out into the dessert to take some sunset pictures. It was easy to get out to the spot where I wanted to set up, but I wasn't thinking about the return trip to the road. It was pretty dark when I started to head back to the road. I'm not sure what I ran into on the way back, but it was painful pulling those fine spines out of my lower body parts. I'm not sure how you can get pierced painlessly by cactus spines.

Last edited by Doug64; 05-10-20 at 08:12 PM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 05-10-20, 08:06 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I'm not going to look.
Good.

Me either.
Old 05-10-20, 08:10 PM
CaptainPlanet

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
It's almost as though they chose that method of removal for extra pain and view counts
Likes For CaptainPlanet:
Old 05-10-20, 08:10 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
What struck me is what a freaking moron the guy was who was taking them off. Could he really not find a second stick to flick them off with so they would just come off and not get moved around?
He was a sadist and doing it on purpose, what a piece of work. Probably her older brother or something at least that's how he acts, if a bf then I feel extra sorry for her she has stepped into something a lot worse than cactus!
Old 05-10-20, 08:44 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
In all seriousness, What kind of clothes could she have worn that would have prevented that? I have never ridden near anything like that, But if I do I would like to be prepared.
Old 05-10-20, 09:25 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
That looked pretty painful. When I see things like this I wonder about who is recording the video. If I was riding with someone who crashed into a cactus, last thing I’d think of is recording the aftermath.
Old 05-10-20, 10:07 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
In all seriousness, What kind of clothes could she have worn that would have prevented that? I have never ridden near anything like that, But if I do I would like to be prepared.
Nothing that is practical in the desert during afternoon.
Old 05-10-20, 10:24 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
That looked pretty painful. When I see things like this I wonder about who is recording the video. If I was riding with someone who crashed into a cactus, last thing I’d think of is recording the aftermath.
It appears that the person removing the cactus, is also holding the recording device in the other hand. He was already recording her before she fell in the cactus. That is also why he uses only one hand to remove the cactus pieces.
Old 05-10-20, 10:37 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
What, you don't wear a full stormtrooper outfit when you mountain bike? Wow, I guess they don't have cacti where you live.

I agree with you. While she was wearing surprisingly little, it's not like a t-shirt or some longer shorts would have prevented what happened to her. And since that's about all I wear when mountain biking around here (plus gloves, shoes, helmet), I'd be one to talk.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 05-10-20, 11:02 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12767 Post(s)
Liked 7,680 Times in 4,076 Posts
Ya know what's really fun? Rolling downhill and having a cholla stick in your front tire, explode on your fork brace, then have needles fly into various parts of your upper body. Luckily I only got one in the face.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 05-11-20, 06:23 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Ya know what's really fun? Rolling downhill and having a cholla stick in your front tire, explode on your fork brace, then have needles fly into various parts of your upper body. Luckily I only got one in the face.
And they were all completely painless, right? After all, one variety (the one with the big spines in my picture above) is called “Teddy Bear” because it’s so soft and cuddly

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-11-20, 09:22 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,641 Times in 948 Posts
Felt sorry for her. Cholla are just one of the hazards of riding in the desert. Never crashed into one, but have accidentally brushed them. Hurts. Not the end of the world pain but the description others give of my reaction is, "He screams like a girl." It usually hurts more to pull them out than getting them in. I'm one of those chicken****s that walks the bike by them a lot.

IMO the best tools for removing the thorns and burrs are a comb and tape. The comb works well on the burrs. The tape pulls the glochids out fairly well. Always have the comb on a ride. Usually forget the tape.
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 05-11-20, 05:02 PM
aland2

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
This is the same babe that skids in the snow on the way to the sauna and has to be massaged with warm oils
Old 05-11-20, 07:43 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You seem to do a lot of backing into cactus. But, if cholla don’t hurt like you initially said, why did you cop the attitude and chop that one down? I, mean, it couldn’t hurt anyone, after all.

And why did you go all Machete! on the poor cactus. Although they are called “jumping cactus”, they don’t really jump. You backed into it. Take the blame and leave the poor plants alone.

I’ve got lots and lots of pictures of saguaros from out in the desert. Most of them are very similar to that “old spineless snaggletooth”. It also would hardly matter if the saguaro is well armed with spines to the ground. They are tall and cylindrical, not bushy like chollas.
Run into the one your bike is leaning againt vs one of the younger ones you speak about, and you'll tell the diffference. One you'll be unhappy, and the other one will probably be a trip to urgent care. Btw, go too hard into a corner, and it'll matter how spikey it is.

As far as the cholla goes, you remove the pods with a comb. Yeah not totally painless, but not usually a big deal either. The machete incident was having to sit inches away from said plant to do my job, and getting "jumped" a couple of times already, so I fixed it.

You ever go play in the Co mtns and break a branch in your way? Same thing.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 05-11-20 at 08:03 PM.