Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Biking while standing indoors belt

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-05-19, 09:05 PM
luisdans

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Help needed:

I recently purchased a proform tour de France 5.0 bike. The issue is that while at the iFit trainings, it’s not possible for me to bike while standing. Called their support line and over chat they told me this would not be possible on belt bikes.

Two questions: Is this a common problem for band bikes? NordicTrack users have the same problem?

Second, as a beginner how important will it be to follow mainly. programs that don’t require me standing or just not standing when needed? The incline works great, can that be relevant? Should I just return it?

Thank you

Last edited by luisdans; 06-05-19 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-05-19, 09:21 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
that doesn't make a whole lot of sense - what reason did the support people give for not being able to stand? I found at least one proform youtube where riders of the TDF were standing as they pedaled. What difference does it make to the bike whether or not your butt is on the saddle as you pedal?
Old 06-06-19, 05:57 PM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Edit: Misread the post, response not relevant!
Old 06-17-19, 10:56 PM
luisdans

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick update: It's confirmed that the Proform TDF 5.0 does not support pedaling while standing!!! The belt slides and there is no resolution in the mechanism except upgrading to another bike such as the Nordictrack S22i. Worst: The return is costing me $660. ($250 freight, $249 white glove assembly, $165 restocking fee). And Yes, multiple youtube videos show a rider standing on the bike but it's simply too difficult. Worst: Many iFit trainings require you to stand, so in my opinion there should be warnings, they told me they don't sell a spin bike.... Other issues I found are: 1) Resolution of the TDF is low res, 2) Google experience is outdated, 3) Adjustments for multiple riders are annoying, 4) resistance levels 1-10 are too weak, makes no sense to have them. 5) Screen rotates 180 degrees but only 90 left or right, so if you place the bike on a corner you will need HDMI on another monitor since they also don't support casting. The worst: I got a reply from them without any other text than a pointer to the return policy, no absolute interest to discuss the issues. Posting this so other people avoid making the same mistake...
Old 06-18-19, 12:52 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
So what I gather from your posts, is that the Proform's belt drive is too weak and it slips if you try to pedal too hard (e.g. by standing). Despite the "-20% to 20% grade" that they advertise on their website, I don't see any maximum power specified, and as you also say the resistance levels are too weak, seem to support my conclusion that the bike is too weak.

Assuming this is the case, then I can only conclude that this is a piece of crap and you should get rid of it for something that offers much more resistance (i.e. maximum power).

For reference, if you look at some popular bike trainers from Tacx, the Neo 2 offers maximum 2200W power while their low end wheel-on trainer, the Flow Smart, maxes out at 800W (which isn't much, but unless you're doing an all-out-sprint you likely aren't hitting 800W anytime soon). If you can make the belt easily slip on a Proform when standing, then it is much, much, much weaker than Tacx's weakest trainer and either something is wrong with their belt drive, or its just a crappy piece of junk.
Likes For atwl77:
Old 06-18-19, 06:08 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 244 Posts
Sorry, that really sucks. Would it be possible to contest the credit card charges? I don't see why you should pay all of that money for a sub-standard product.

Sorry, not a lawyer or anything, just a suggestion that it might be worth a call to your CC company.
Old 06-18-19, 06:32 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
What do you mean by “it’s simply too difficult” to stand on the pedals?
On the return issue, if they tell you that you can’t use this machine standing, yet one of their own videos shows riders standing, they appear to have misrepresented the capabilities of the machine. I would absolutely contest the return charges
Old 06-19-19, 02:03 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Note to others who were scratching their heads -> the 'bike' in question is a trainer.
Old 06-19-19, 07:50 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 409 Posts
The model "rider" is standing in their advert.

Dan
Old 06-19-19, 07:55 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
maybe he just got on and is about to sit down
Old 06-19-19, 08:19 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
This is not right. I'd be quite upset too. Contest or fight the charges.
Old 04-14-20, 04:52 PM
llbeard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NordicTrack grand tour

Originally Posted by luisdans
Help needed:

I recently purchased a proform tour de France 5.0 bike. The issue is that while at the iFit trainings, it’s not possible for me to bike while standing. Called their support line and over chat they told me this would not be possible on belt bikes.

Two questions: Is this a common problem for band bikes? NordicTrack users have the same problem?

Second, as a beginner how important will it be to follow mainly. programs that don’t require me standing or just not standing when needed? The incline works great, can that be relevant? Should I just return it?

Thank you

I have the same problem with my new grand tour. Customer support told me to check the belt. I have had it four days. I specifically asked them if standing on the grand tour is not possible. They never said yes or no.

any ideas?
Old 04-14-20, 05:11 PM
luisdans

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by llbeard
I have the same problem with my new grand tour. Customer support told me to check the belt. I have had it four days. I specifically asked them if standing on the grand tour is not possible. They never said yes or no.

any ideas?
I switched to the nordictrack S22i and it works well. However I had to hire a lawyer because proform was not willing to cover the shippment and their restocking fee was too high, as I explained that I wanted to switch I was able to do the change with a minimal cost impact.. additional questions reach me luisdans at gmail dot com.
Old 04-14-20, 05:18 PM
llbeard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I switched to the nordictrack S22i and it works well. However I had to hire a lawyer because proform was not willing to cover the shippment and their restocking fee was too high, as I explained that I wanted to switch I was able to do the change with a minimal cost impact.. additional questions reach me luisdans at gmail dot com.
thanks! I have only had this for four days!
Old 08-15-20, 04:00 PM
nygirl

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wondering if someone can help
i have a Nordictrack S22i , ive had it since March this year its been great however today its making a rubbing sound by the peddels. does any one have any idea
Old 08-15-20, 04:59 PM
llbeard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you are on Facebook, there’s a page called NordicTrack S22i Problems.
This same problem has been posted several times. I am not sure of the resolution.
good luck