Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tour de-france type of riders, what's their deal?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tour de-france type of riders, what's their deal?

Old 05-07-21, 07:59 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
A lot of older, financially stable women love that John. Call themselves Cougars. Then there’s the set of fans that celebrate his entire collected works. They’re called Mellenheads. For obvious reasons.
I'm probably alone in the world for thinking this way, but I get annoyed when the display on the car radio calls him "John Mellencamp" when it plays one of his older songs like "Hurts So Good", when he was still John Cougar. Heck, even a brand-new CD still calls him John Cougar to this day! So because I am old and stubborn I still call him John Cougar even when I hear his newer stuff. And I still call the ballpark in KC "Royals Stadium".

Now, get off my lawn!
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 05-07-21, 08:37 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Golf is about social networking as much as it's a game. Bicycling has some of that, but golf has attributes that make it really suitable for the purpose. Let's be serious, all high-end sporting equipment can be used for status symbol purposes, so golfing with expensive equipment at the finest course makes a very strong status statement. Also, the nature of the competition is not physically exhausting, so you can "play hard" and keep talking the whole time. You get super-competitive in a biking activity, and the social interaction drops to nothing. Finally, it's a heck of a lot easier to get sloshed while golfing.

Hunting used to be used in this way among the wealthy, but that's problematic with the killing, guts and blood stuff. Also, getting sloshed while shooting is a bit nerve-racking.
My point was that like a lot of equipment based sports, having the means dictates the level of equipment and golf is the most over-the-top equipment based sport I can think of where the less skill and the more means drives a continual upgrade investment level; the more you suck, the more you spend.

Higher skilled golfers I know are not constantly upgrading, and it is not uncommon to find a 5-10 year old club in their bag that just works right for them.

And on top of that you can’t even hit a ball without paying money.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
How does Bob Seger figure into that?
Bob Seger is the Jackson Browne of John Cougar Mellenkamps.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
OK, but if all of them were alive and at their physical primes, which one would win a bike race?

And have you ever seen the Big Bang Theory scenes on YouTube with the laugh track edited out? You can't even figure out which parts are supposed to be the jokes. It's all bland insults.
Kravitz probably, pretty sure the rest were drunk and high in their primes.

BBT is what dumb people think smart people sound like.
Old 05-07-21, 08:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
My point was that like a lot of equipment based sports, having the means dictates the level of equipment and golf is the most over-the-top equipment based sport I can think of where the less skill and the more means drives a continual upgrade investment level; the more you suck, the more you spend.

Higher skilled golfers I know are not constantly upgrading, and it is not uncommon to find a 5-10 year old club in their bag that just works right for them.

John

Totally, I was just explaining my theory, not disagreeing with you.
Old 05-07-21, 08:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Kravitz probably, pretty sure the rest were drunk and high in their primes.

BBT is what dumb people think smart people sound like.

I can think of someone who fits that description better, but I'd be told to take it to P&R. But yeah, they bear no resemblance to any real physicists and they don't even get "nerd culture" right.
Old 05-07-21, 08:49 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
OP should have just said, "I don't understand anyone different from me" and stopped there.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-07-21, 08:50 AM
ksryder

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I'm probably alone in the world for thinking this way, but I get annoyed when the display on the car radio calls him "John Mellencamp" when it plays one of his older songs like "Hurts So Good", when he was still John Cougar. Heck, even a brand-new CD still calls him John Cougar to this day! So because I am old and stubborn I still call him John Cougar even when I hear his newer stuff. And I still call the ballpark in KC "Royals Stadium".

Now, get off my lawn!
Kauffman set things up so that it would be really, really hard for any subsequent owners to move the Royals to a different market, so we're all mostly OK with calling it Kauffman stadium. Plus it's been like 30 years since they started calling it that so, you know...

Anyway sorry about your lawn but my dog had to go and I forgot to grab the poo bags. Catch me if you can!
Old 05-07-21, 09:00 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If the fact the "The Big Bang Theory" lasted 12 seasons taught us anything it's to never underestimate the appeal of aggressive mediocrity.

On a related dad rock hill I'm prepared to die on: Lenny Kravitz is a poor man's Stevie Ray Vaughn is a poor man's Eric Clapton is a poor man's Jimi Hendrix.

(Ok I'm mostly kidding about the Clapton part).
I saw Clapton back in the late 80's. He had the misfortune of having to follow Buckwheat Zydeco. Once you've witnessed the legend that was Buckwheat Zydeco, every other performer is kind of dull and bland.(GWAR being the exception)

Last edited by seypat; 05-07-21 at 09:12 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-07-21, 09:02 AM
seypat

John
A major equipment change has killed many a professional golfer's career.
Old 05-07-21, 09:03 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Kauffman set things up so that it would be really, really hard for any subsequent owners to move the Royals to a different market, so we're all mostly OK with calling it Kauffman stadium.
The opposite side to that story would be if we had a "Reinsdorf Stadium" here in Chicago.... Even the most die-hard of lifelong fans would absolutely hate the name!
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 05-07-21, 09:27 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Totally, I was just explaining my theory, not disagreeing with you.
I agree with you 100%. I guess the one strand that can tie back to the OP is that those with the means usually buy higher quality. The difference with cycling is “usually” the person needs ability to ride expensive lightweight bikes fast.

I used “usually” because with the advancement of e-bikes, ability is greatly diminished. As they become lighter and more stealthy, having the means and the technology, you won’t need to train to be fast.

That is the OP’s answer. Get a better job, make more money, buy an expensive e-bike and ride just as fast, or slow, as you want while looking however you want.

John
Old 05-07-21, 09:41 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
A lot of older, financially stable women love that John. Call themselves Cougars. Then there’s the set of fans that celebrate his entire collected works. They’re called Mellenheads. For obvious reasons.
My wife has a childhood friend who is a well known Ophthalmologist, she travels (pre-Covid) around the country giving talks and has done some important research in the field. She's married to another Doctor...you know the drill their life is like a sitcom...nannies, multiple homes, etc. Well this lady is a HUGE fan of Hall and Oates. I mean...on a level like young girls were into Duran Duran or NKOTB...like screaming out loud at their concerts and ****. It whackadoodle.

If someone is performing...there's someone out their absolutely *worshipping* them.
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 05-07-21, 09:49 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1578 Post(s)
Liked 1,184 Times in 603 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
Four pages!

OP got us good - gold star for him/her.
I blame it all on 'the creeping cost of entry to our favourite sport'. It is high time that we 'bikers' took 'biking' back from Big Bike. Heavier bikes for all, say I; one gets a better workout, and can wear 'ordinary' clothes while waving and dinging one's bell (stop laughing, you in the back!).
Old 05-07-21, 09:54 AM
seypat

If the fact the "The Big Bang Theory" lasted 12 seasons taught us anything it's to never underestimate the appeal of aggressive mediocrity.

On a related dad rock hill I'm prepared to die on: Lenny Kravitz is a poor man's Stevie Ray Vaughn is a poor man's Eric Clapton is a poor man's Jimi Hendrix.

(Ok I'm mostly kidding about the Clapton part).
BTW, why doesn't Jeff Healey ever get mentioned in the same breath with this crowd?

Last edited by seypat; 05-07-21 at 11:12 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-07-21, 10:24 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
I saw Clapton back in the late 80's. He had the misfortune of having to follow Buckwheat Zydeco. Once you've witnessed the legend that was Buckwheat Zydeco, every other performer is kind of dull and bland.(GWAR being the exception)
I saw Clapton once in the '80s, too. They did "Layla" for the encore, and it sounded out-of-tune. Not being very musical, I made sure to read the newspaper review the next day, which noted the same thing - confirmation!

Later, I got into the blues very deeply, and realized that there are LOTS of guitarists who put Clapton to shame.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-07-21, 10:24 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
BTW, why doesn't Jeff Healy ever get mentioned in the same breath with this crowd?
Because no one's seen "Road House"?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-07-21, 10:26 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by krakhaus
I've always wondered if there are people who are rabid Mellencamp fans. Like they own every bit of merchandise and bootlegs, and follow him around on tour. I'm just curious if those people exist. Same goes for bands like Huey Lewis and the News or any of those really mediocre radio rock bands.
I must say that I had the same impression about Huey Lewis until them them live two times in the late 80’s. KILLER live band. Tons of respect for them after that, though I still can’t listen to the albums.

But I am not collecting bootlegs or going on tour with them.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-07-21, 10:27 AM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
I used “usually” because with the advancement of e-bikes, ability is greatly diminished. As they become lighter and more stealthy, having the means and the technology, you won’t need to train to be fast.
That would give you a lot more time to watch the Big Bang Theory, which is what I imagine the E-bike crowd doing in their off time.
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 05-07-21, 10:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Q. Lazarus FTW!

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-07-21, 10:40 AM
ksryder

That would give you a lot more time to watch the Big Bang Theory, which is what I imagine the E-bike crowd doing in their off time.
To be fair I'd love an ebike for my 30-mile commute to work. The distance isn't a problem but the time it takes is -- I can't be spending 3.5 hours a day biking to and from work plus my work doesn't have shower access.

But I can't justify the expense at this point. Oh well. Guess I'll go back to wearing lycra on my fast bike on the weekends even though I'm never going to race except for the times that I do.
Old 05-07-21, 10:44 AM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
To be fair I'd love an ebike for my 30-mile commute to work. The distance isn't a problem but the time it takes is -- I can't be spending 3.5 hours a day biking to and from work plus my work doesn't have shower access.

But I can't justify the expense at this point. Oh well. Guess I'll go back to wearing lycra on my fast bike on the weekends even though I'm never going to race except for the times that I do.
I'd just get a vintage Vespa, that's style right there. And probably close to the same price. Plus you can wear cool mod suits.
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 05-07-21, 10:50 AM
70sSanO

Have no clue about the e-bike and Big Band Theory crowd, although I know one e-bike rider not in that crowd. This thread wouldn't be complete without an actual Tour de France rider...

John

Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 05-07-21, 11:01 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Koyote
I saw Clapton once in the '80s, too. They did "Layla" for the encore, and it sounded out-of-tune. Not being very musical, I made sure to read the newspaper review the next day, which noted the same thing - confirmation!

Later, I got into the blues very deeply, and realized that there are LOTS of guitarists who put Clapton to shame.
If you're still into the blues, there's a member here on BF that has/had a blues band with his sons. They're really good. I'll give him a plug. He is "texaspandj" and hangs out mostly in C&V. The band is The Pride & Joy Band out of Waco, TX. Look them up on Youtube and give them a listen.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-07-21, 11:04 AM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
this thread is amazing
Likes For growlerdinky:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.