Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you drink from your bottle?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How do you drink from your bottle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-21, 03:05 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Squirt only, so far. But now I think I might give this "cap off and gulp" thing a try? Are the cool kids that are using this method stopping first, or doing it on-the-fly?
I don’t stop first, so the answer to your question is a resounding “no.”
Old 06-24-21, 03:20 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I don’t stop first, so the answer to your question is a resounding “no.”
Both hands off the bars to do the unscrewing, and then holding the cap and bars with one hand, while gulping with the other? Or holding the bars and bidon with one hand, and unscrewing and holding the cap with the other? What level of bike handler do I need to be, to be this cool?
Old 06-24-21, 03:26 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Who messes with squirt tops? Get yourself one of these. It's the only way! In no time at all, you'll also be passing up pee stops and letting it go on the bike like the hardcore tri people do.

You also may ram that big a$$ straw down the back of your throat when you hit a bump. At least you'll be aero when you do it.

https://university.trisports.com/201...drink-systems/

Last edited by seypat; 06-24-21 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-24-21, 03:39 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Riveting
Both hands off the bars to do the unscrewing, and then holding the cap and bars with one hand, while gulping with the other? Or holding the bars and bidon with one hand, and unscrewing and holding the cap with the other? What level of bike handler do I need to be, to be this cool?
Don’t die wondering.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-24-21, 03:41 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Who messes with squirt tops? Get yourself one of these. It's the only way! In no time at all, you'll also be passing up pee stops and letting it go on the bike like the hardcore tri people do.

You also may ram that big a$$ straw down the back of your throat when you hit a bump. But, at least you'll be aero when you do it.

https://university.trisports.com/201...drink-systems/
I'm not convinced, where does it mount when you don't have aero bars? What's needed is a special cap for standard bidons that has a long 2-3' straw that you can clip onto your jersey collar, like a Camelbak straw. Pure Fredness.
Old 06-24-21, 06:08 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
I grab it with my right hand, use my teeth to open the valve (if I didn't leave it open from the previous sip), give my mouth a good squirt, and slide it back into the cage... all whilst pedaling so everyone around knows how much of an expert I am.
Old 06-24-21, 06:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts

Have you ever seen a commie drink a glass of water?

Last edited by livedarklions; 06-24-21 at 06:45 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-24-21, 07:13 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by livedarklions
have you ever seen a commie drink a glass of water?

have you ever seen a commie drink a glass of water?
p.o.e.
Old 06-24-21, 08:42 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Bottle contamination is a valid concern in some areas. Much of the MUP in my area runs alongside the Trinity "River," which is mostly just a tarted up flood control drainage ditch. It's often contaminated with e coli, salmonella and other cooties, forcing the suspension of some warm weather tubing festivities, such as the joy of floating in everyone else's urine while watching concerts at the amphitheater.

Then there are the horses. Kids and toasted frat boys and girls from the nearby college barfing along the trails. Cyclists and runners spitting and blowing snot rockets.

So I'm wary of every puddle along the MUP.

Hydration backpacks may be a bit safer, since the drinking end is above most of the contamination zone, and most hydration tubes have caps. But I use mine mostly for longer walks and jogging, seldom for bike rides.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-25-21, 05:34 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Aren't you concerned about additional wear on your cleats and brakes, all that stopping?
I use platform pedals...Not too much wear on brakes, I typically only stop 2-3 times on a 3-4 hour recreational ride...Commuting in the city involves a lot more stopping than a recreational ride out in a rural area...I just prefer to stop and relax when taking a drink, I am not in a rush to get anywhere and I am not racing against anybody.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-25-21, 05:38 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
That seems a lot of work.
It's actually a lot less work in comparison to spending 30 minutes putting on a special kit before going for a ride.
Old 06-25-21, 06:06 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's actually a lot less work in comparison to spending 30 minutes putting on a special kit before going for a ride.
I’m clearly a much faster dresser than you imagine. I can even put on my “special kit” while inside a tent in way less time than 30 minutes.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-25-21, 06:58 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I know that's why baby's cry so much, they just can't get enough out of a nipple
I know the feeling.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 06-25-21, 10:04 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Bottle contamination is a valid concern in some areas. Much of the MUP in my area runs alongside the Trinity "River," which is mostly just a tarted up flood control drainage ditch. It's often contaminated with e coli, salmonella and other cooties, forcing the suspension of some warm weather tubing festivities, such as the joy of floating in everyone else's urine while watching concerts at the amphitheater.

Then there are the horses. Kids and toasted frat boys and girls from the nearby college barfing along the trails. Cyclists and runners spitting and blowing snot rockets.

So I'm wary of every puddle along the MUP.

Hydration backpacks may be a bit safer, since the drinking end is above most of the contamination zone, and most hydration tubes have caps. But I use mine mostly for longer walks and jogging, seldom for bike rides.
As a former, much former, diagnostic bacteriologist, you have made me ill. I shall never ride again!!!!!
Old 06-25-21, 12:40 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
30 minutes to put on a pair of shorts and a jersey? Bathroom breaks must be tough.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-25-21, 12:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I don't stop to drink. I do usually try to drink when going up hills. Partly because the slower speeds will be safer if I screw up. Also, since I only have one hand available for braking the deceleration will be greater just from not pedaling if someone slows in front of me.

I bought a 25 fl oz. Monster Energy drink bottle at the Seven Eleven the other day. Poured out the contents and put my own mix in there. The bottle fits my cages very well. And the flat cap is much easier to palm while having a hand on the hood to brake if needed. Previously I'd been using the 24 point something fl oz. Gatorade with the large orange spout that was more difficult to hold and brake at the same time. The Monster bottle also takes less turns to screw the cap on/off, so I think it'll be the new favorite.
Old 06-28-21, 07:55 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
for hot drinks, I will stop & sip

My biggest takeaway from this thread is that I am now convinced you have pictures of every part of your cycling experiences. What else is there to document if you even have multiple pictures of you drinking?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-28-21, 08:42 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 770 Posts
My takeaway is there sure are some weird people on this forum. Who would even seriously ask the question "how do you drink from the bottle?"
Likes For prj71:
Old 06-28-21, 11:38 AM
mikek753

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After March 2020 I started to put ziplock bag on top of Camelbak bottle, to cover top of 1/2 bottle
yes, I stop to drink
yes, it's inconvenient to remember to have ziplock for every ride and a stop is required, but I need to take a break to lower my HR

I'm not near a pro, just for cardio

hope it helps
Old 06-28-21, 11:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
My biggest takeaway from this thread is that I am now convinced you have pictures of every part of your cycling experiences. What else is there to document if you even have multiple pictures of you drinking?

I suspect we're all going to regret you asking that question.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-28-21, 11:46 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I suspect we're all going to regret you asking that question.
RELIEF is just a step away unless done on the bike!
Old 06-28-21, 12:07 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
oops, missed one!

re: "What else is there to document " right now, I'm a bit obsessed with what happens when bike tires make contact with the ground ...
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-28-21, 12:11 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
re: "What else is there to document " right now, I'm a bit obsessed with what happens when bike tires make contact with the ground ...
Thats like the slow mo videos of a bullet moving thru jello. I do always like to see pics/vid like this since it isnt obvious or easily seen in real time.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-28-21, 12:15 PM
Peugeot135

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After suffering three serious shoulders' injuries in the last few years , I am no longer doing the "Hey mom, no hands" and only doing the one hand while signalling, I am carrying a camel bag in my backpack, with the tube hanging over my shoulder, suck in water anytime I want, safe and sound.

Curiously enough, just yesterday while stopping at a stop light, a lady came over to my side and asked "How could you stand that plastic smell?" I almost died laughing. Honestly though, I somehow didn't taste that smell but I got her point.
​​​​​
P. S. Actually she was talking about the smell of the suction head because I was kind of chewing on it at the time, not to the bag itself.

Last edited by Peugeot135; 06-28-21 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-28-21, 12:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I rigged up a giant hamster bottle on the bottom of my helmet, but every time I hit a bump, the ball bounces in the tube and the water leaks on my head.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.