Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any reason not to get the S-Works Tarmac SL7?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Any reason not to get the S-Works Tarmac SL7?

Old 07-09-21, 12:36 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
They built them for both markets, which is why they fit them on the higher end Aethos builds too. Like I said, I understand their reasoning (at least in the short term), but it doesn't make a lot of commercial sense when pretty much all of their competitors are making tubeless compatible rims. It's not a big deal, I'm just curious how long they will stick to this concept, which seems totally at odds with what Specialized have been doing in recent years. Their pro team riders have been regularly chopping and changing between tubed and tubeless tyres depending on road conditions, favouring tubed for outright speed and tubeless for better puncture resistance. Specialized themselves still appear to view tubeless as the end-game, so these rims could well end up becoming obsolete in the near future.
Who is using tubeless in the peloton this year? I know more than a few were last year. I wonder if anybody stuck with it? I am pretty sure Specialized knows what their goals are for the market. They have been around a long time.
Old 07-09-21, 01:28 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
Who is using tubeless in the peloton this year? I know more than a few were last year. I wonder if anybody stuck with it? I am pretty sure Specialized knows what their goals are for the market. They have been around a long time.
As far as I've read, riders who have a choice chop and change depending on the course and how much flat protection they want. But I have no idea on the numbers. I would imagine non of the Specialized teams are using tubeless now the high end Rovals are not compatible.

I've also read an article speculating that Specialized might not have intended to make the latest Rovals tube only at the design stage, but got worried about the safety of such a lightweight rim when running tubeless. I guess their next iteration of rims will shed some light on their long term goals, but I would be very surprised if they drop tubeless for the long haul.

Last edited by PeteHski; 07-09-21 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-09-21, 03:22 PM
colnago62

As far as I've read, riders who have a choice chop and change depending on the course and how much flat protection they want. But I have no idea on the numbers. I would imagine non of the Specialized teams are using tubeless now the high end Rovals are not compatible.

I've also read an article speculating that Specialized might not have intended to make the latest Rovals tube only at the design stage, but got worried about the safety of such a lightweight rim when running tubeless. I guess their next iteration of rims will shed some light on their long term goals, but I would be very surprised if they drop tubeless for the long haul.
I also doubt they will drop tubeless. There is a market for it. It is like S Works bikes; they are aimed at the racing market. Most people don’t care about the small weight savings that the frames give, even a lot of amateur racers. However at the pointier end of the racing spear, weight matters a lot more.
Old 07-11-21, 06:30 PM
LSUFANDAN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I have a 2022 Tarmac SL7 Comp with the Sram Rival eTap AXS and love it. Its not a S-Works but I don't really need that much bike. I am slowly going to upgrade parts that I want to upgrade. I already have Roval CL50 wheels. The CL50 wheels are tubeless ready and only weigh 100g more than the Roval CLX50 wheels. I run them tubeless. So far I like the tubeless setup. No flats on tubeless yet. I had multiple flats with tubes on the same CL50 rims. I just put some S-Works Aerofly 2 bars on this weekend. Mostly for looks. I think I am going to upgrade the crankset to Sram Red next. After that I will just ride it. Already breaking my personal bests.
Old 07-12-21, 10:16 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
The recommended service interval for CeramicSpeed BB bearings is 3-5K and you need to remove the cranks and bearing dust covers. Without a round seat post it is not possible (?) to rotate the saddle a couple of degrees. My complaints. Well the disk only is a deal breaker for me but not for most. I will be on a SL6 until that changes back.
Old 07-13-21, 04:19 AM
colnago62

Originally Posted by popeye
The recommended service interval for CeramicSpeed BB bearings is 3-5K and you need to remove the cranks and bearing dust covers. Without a round seat post it is not possible (?) to rotate the saddle a couple of degrees. My complaints. Well the disk only is a deal breaker for me but not for most. I will be on a SL6 until that changes back.
That probably won’t happen
Old 07-13-21, 09:14 AM
popeye

That probably won’t happen
They now have threaded BB's and tube only rims. What do you think might me next?
Old 07-13-21, 01:45 PM
PeteHski

They now have threaded BB's and tube only rims. What do you think might me next?
Well I think the tube-only rims will be pretty short-lived. Reading between the lines, it appears that Roval inadvertently designed themselves into a corner with those particular rims. They are an anomaly in the current market.
I think the partial comeback of threaded BBs has been driven largely by customer demand due to service/reliability/warranty issues with press-fit - why else would the manufacturers go back?
Disc brakes are driven by customer demand, engineering and marketing. So I think there is virtually zero chance of going back to rim brakes. People who have disc brakes don't generally have problems with them (except on BF of course!)
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-13-21, 04:14 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I'm guessing rim brakes are pretty done and I will also predict that tubeless-ready rims will be more and more commonplace. I'm not sure yet about hookless on road, but it seems like that may also happen with wider tires which are becoming more popular. As I look to getting my next road bike, I keep looking at all the different changes and innovations and coming to terms with them. I'll have one old-school bike and one modern one. I'll take any BB, as long as the frame is stiff enough at that point. Things could be worse. We could be riding massive magnetic unicycles.
Likes For Chandne:
Old 07-13-21, 04:30 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,461 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
Things could be worse. We could be riding massive magnetic unicycles.
Sort of like this?

Onewheel // Future Motion

Kids these days ...
Old 07-13-21, 07:47 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

That is funny. It is kinda of cool, till we old guys break a collarbone and femur.
Old 07-13-21, 08:52 PM
popeye

Well I think the tube-only rims will be pretty short-lived. Reading between the lines, it appears that Roval inadvertently designed themselves into a corner with those particular rims. They are an anomaly in the current market.
I think the partial comeback of threaded BBs has been driven largely by customer demand due to service/reliability/warranty issues with press-fit - why else would the manufacturers go back?
Disc brakes are driven by customer demand, engineering and marketing. So I think there is virtually zero chance of going back to rim brakes. People who have disc brakes don't generally have problems with them (except on BF of course!)
Oh? Ask the pro who rides them. Nightmare.
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/ch...llipers-284783

> "I don't think the technology is quite where it needs to be": Chris Froome unconvinced by disc brakes
Old 07-14-21, 12:17 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Well, considering I don't get paid to descend Ventoux at 100km/h+, I think disc brakes are a far better option for the average rider because they work predictably no matter the weather conditions. My full conversion to road disc happened after a guy who "didn't see me" turned in front of me in a rain storm and my rim brakes went ahead and did nothing when I applied them. I guess if you never ride in the rain or snow, it's easy to convince yourself that because a pro is concerned about disc/pad rub that you should just stick to brakes that only work as expected when the sun is shining.

Last edited by Badger6; 07-14-21 at 02:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-14-21, 02:09 AM
PeteHski

"Froome also said that while performance in both the wet and dry impressed him, he suggested that he had concerns over rubbing, overheating and the potential for rotors becoming warped."

His concerns are not the concerns of the average rider. Can't say I've had any issues with brakes rubbing, overheating, or warped rotors - having run discs on mtb and road now for nearly 20 years. I've only been running road discs for 2 years, but they have been faultless so far. But like most riders I'm not doing repeated 20 km descents where they would be tested to their absolute limits. It's not like rim brakes are faultless in those conditions either, especially with carbon wheels.

The things that impressed him are what impress me too.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-14-21, 06:57 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20802 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
I understand that digging up FUD on subjects with which you have little meaningful experience is your schtick, but are you really suggesting that those of us with several years worth of personal experience should toss out our opinions in favor of that of someone who rides in very different circumstances?
Old 07-14-21, 10:05 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
"If I was a pro, I’d have disc brakes. It works."

-- Bernard Hinault
Old 07-14-21, 10:13 AM
popeye

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I understand that digging up FUD on subjects with which you have little meaningful experience is your schtick, but are you really suggesting that those of us with several years worth of personal experience should toss out our opinions in favor of that of someone who rides in very different circumstances?
As I stated before "Well the disk only is a deal breaker for me but not for most." I'm not digging up FUD, I quoted current news articles for those living in the past. Google News just keeps on giving. I expect that when the current crop of DB's reach that time where maintenance becomes a factor that there will be many more in my boat just like what happened with pressfit BB's. Stay tuned.
Old 07-14-21, 10:18 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
As I stated before "Well the disk only is a deal breaker for me but not for most." I'm not digging up FUD, I quoted current news articles for those living in the past. Google News just keeps on giving. I expect that when the current crop of DB's reach that time where maintenance becomes a factor that there will be many more in my boat just like what happened with pressfit BB's. Stay tuned.
You do realize that MTBs have had disc brakes for many years now right? The road and MTB systems are not that different and MTB brakes are used pretty dang harshly. WIth the exception of the older AVID brakes that were complete garbage, I and everyone I know have had exceptional luck with discs...
Old 07-14-21, 10:49 AM
WhyFi

I'm not digging up FUD...
You literally labeled it a "nightmare," in the post I'd quoted, but you're not trying to spread fear/uncertainty/doubt? Okay.
Old 07-14-21, 11:04 AM
popeye

Originally Posted by WhyFi
You literally labeled it a "nightmare," in the post I'd quoted, but you're not trying to spread fear/uncertainty/doubt? Okay.
If you had read the article it states that they have tried everything to make them work. Having to try mismatched calipers and rotors and pads I'm sure amounts to a nightmare for Froome's mechs. Rim brakes just work, no fiddle or fuss and you can be pretty sure they are going to work despite turning the bike over or letting it sit. If you are to fat for this sport than no question you just might need disks for sheer power.
Old 07-14-21, 11:07 AM
popeye

Originally Posted by yarbrough462
You do realize that MTBs have had disc brakes for many years now right? The road and MTB systems are not that different and MTB brakes are used pretty dang harshly. WIth the exception of the older AVID brakes that were complete garbage, I and everyone I know have had exceptional luck with discs...
Horses for courses.
Old 07-14-21, 11:28 AM
WhyFi

If you had read the article it states that they have tried everything to make them work. Having to try mismatched calipers and rotors and pads I'm sure amounts to a nightmare for Froome's mechs. Rim brakes just work, no fiddle or fuss and you can be pretty sure they are going to work despite turning the bike over or letting it sit. If you are to fat for this sport than no question you just might need disks for sheer power.
And how much of a nightmare has it been for you?
Old 07-14-21, 11:48 AM
colnago62

I'm guessing rim brakes are pretty done.
Funny you should mention this;Team UAE which has the Yellow Jersey, are riding rim brakes on todays stage.
Old 07-14-21, 11:59 AM
Chandne

Funny you should mention this;Team UAE which has the Yellow Jersey, are riding rim brakes on todays stage.
My opinion there was more about the general state at least among the big brands. They have fewer and fewer rim-brake models. As you go to the highest-end models, it is becoming even more rare. In their carbon models, for example, it does not seem that Trek, BMC, and Specialized road bikes are anything but disc. I think they may make alloy models with rim-brakes but not sure. I suspect more and more brands will do the same thing,
Old 07-14-21, 03:17 PM
colnago62

My opinion there was more about the general state at least among the big brands. They have fewer and fewer rim-brake models. As you go to the highest-end models, it is becoming even more rare. In their carbon models, for example, it does not seem that Trek, BMC, and Specialized road bikes are anything but disc. I think they may make alloy models with rim-brakes but not sure. I suspect more and more brands will do the same thing,
Trek doesn’t really advertise it, but they do have a rim brake Madone. I have one coming in August. No one knows for sure, but there is talk the the new Dura Ace will also be available in rim brake as well as disc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.