Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anybody own a belt drive?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anybody own a belt drive?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-21, 10:24 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
What kind of belt lube is best?
I know it was a joke question but Gates recommends CRC Silicone Spray. I don't lube at least not yet but have had zero issues so far in nearly 600 miles.
Old 07-15-21, 10:32 AM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
My Co-Motion Pngea Rohloff has a gates belt. No derailleurs and chain makes for reduced maintenance. The itsy bitsy friction that I constantly hear abut is only a thing if the complainer has a well lubricated clean virgin chain on a fixed gear or internal geared bicycle. Let's talk about weight. The shop were I bought my bicycle, had two Co-Motion Amricano's. One with derailleurs and one with the Rohloff drivetrain. They weighed each stock bicycle. The Rohloff weighed 17 ounces more than the bicycle with derailleurs. If you want a good low maintenance bicycle for touring, road, gravel, cyclocross or most any purpose a belt drive is the way to go.

I saw the Ryan Van Duzer video on how not to break a gates belt. I have had my bicycle over 7 years. The tension on my belt has never changed.
Interesting. I've seen people say the same thing on-line, but I have a hard time reconciling it with my own un-scientific experience (i.e., my Spot bike just feels heavy) and my own back of the envelope calculations. Using rough numbers available on line, a Rohloff hub weighs about 1800 grams dry, and the belt weighs around 75 grams (total 1875). A random combination of Industry Nine Torch rear hub (259 grams), SRAM Force 1 derailleur (262), SRAM 11-speed cassette (268) and SRAM chain (250 grams) equals 1039 grams. That's a difference of 834 grams, or roughly 1.84 pounds. The difference would be less if you use cheaper chain/derailleur parts, but could also be even greater if you use lighter chain drive parts. The Rohloff is also about $1500.

That said, I do still like belt drive in a lot of ways. It also looks cool : )
Old 07-15-21, 10:34 AM
Phlorida

Bikes: 17 Spot Acme, 14 Lynskey Peleton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve got a Spot Acme with a Gates belt drive and like it a lot. Virtually no maintenance but as others have said the bike isn’t light. I did drain and replace the fluid in the hub after the first season.
Old 07-15-21, 03:18 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 274 Posts
Interesting. I've seen people say the same thing on-line, but I have a hard time reconciling it with my own un-scientific experience (i.e., my Spot bike just feels heavy) and my own back of the envelope calculations. Using rough numbers available on line, a Rohloff hub weighs about 1800 grams dry, and the belt weighs around 75 grams (total 1875). A random combination of Industry Nine Torch rear hub (259 grams), SRAM Force 1 derailleur (262), SRAM 11-speed cassette (268) and SRAM chain (250 grams) equals 1039 grams. That's a difference of 834 grams, or roughly 1.84 pounds. The difference would be less if you use cheaper chain/derailleur parts, but could also be even greater if you use lighter chain drive parts. The Rohloff is also about $1500.
The weight difference I quoted was correct for those two bicycles. Co-Motion did not use a 1X drivetrain on their derailleur version of the bicycle. Depending on parts chosen there is a wide variance in weight. Here is an article by Cyclingabout on this subject.
Old 08-08-21, 09:38 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
I replaced the belt on my Spot Honey Badger mountain bike.

It performed silently over a big 63 mile 9,000 feet of climbing ride.

It was tensioned between 49-55 Hz based on multiple samples with the Gates phone app.

I've decided to increase tension up to 66 Hz, and will ride it a bunch of times this week to see how that works.

I'm saving the old belt as a backup.
Old 08-09-21, 07:04 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Seems very limited on gears. Not really something you are going use for both flats and climbs I assume. I'm intrigued by the concept, but looks more suited as a commuter or a cruiser, not something you might need a wide array of gears to maintain speed over distance.
Old 08-15-21, 07:34 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Seems very limited on gears. Not really something you are going use for both flats and climbs I assume. I'm intrigued by the concept, but looks more suited as a commuter or a cruiser, not something you might need a wide array of gears to maintain speed over distance.
Being limited on gears is the point of a mountain bike single speed! It makes riding more difficult.
Old 08-17-21, 01:55 AM
Hericann

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Personally, I don't prefer using belt because of my belly. Also, for safety purposes too. If an accident happens, I can jump immediately.
Old 08-17-21, 02:51 PM
seibaatgung

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Hericann
Personally, I don't prefer using belt because of my belly. Also, for safety purposes too. If an accident happens, I can jump immediately.
The belt substitutes for the chain, not your suspenders or clip-ins.
Old 08-18-21, 07:11 PM
birdmove

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Never had the pleasure of trying a belt drive bicycle. After owning about 25 chain driven motorcycles though, my last one was a Harley Davidson XL883 Sportster. I loved it. Never even needed an adjustment. No cleanup and oiling needed. Silent as can be. Worked at Destination HD Buell in Tacoma Washington before retiring in 2011. Very few belts sold. The only weakness seemed to be the rare riders who road their Harleys on gravel roads. Rocks could get thrown up and ruin a belt on occasion. And, if a rider did break a belt, though there was some kind of a kit for temporary belt repair to get you home, it was generally time for a tow company, or big burly dudes with a pickup or trailer.