Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Team Miyata

Old 07-15-21, 05:31 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood; Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Team Miyata

Listed as either a “1984 or 1986” Team Miyata on NYC FB. Mismatched wheels.asking $425.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3959953929565/

Old 07-15-21, 07:16 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,690 Posts
Its filthy. It has a real mixture of components, plus those mismatched wheels.

Old 07-15-21, 08:53 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
^^^^^ Parts-bin build. Wacky-World bonus points if the seller actually posted photos spattered with all those cell-phone icons, and half of them not rotated properly.
Old 07-15-21, 08:58 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
That one looks like a double tapered prizewinner ! (but, but ---- its Dura Ace )
Old 07-15-21, 09:00 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^^ Parts-bin build. Wacky-World bonus points if the seller actually posted photos spattered with all those cell-phone icons, and half of them not rotated properly.
ahahahahahah
Old 07-15-21, 09:31 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by DMC707
That one looks like a double tapered prizewinner ! (but, but ---- its Dura Ace )
DMC - I just want to make sure I understand - you do like it or you don’t like it?
Old 07-15-21, 11:27 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by Mdl
DMC - I just want to make sure I understand - you do like it or you don’t like it?
Referencing a thread in General Discussion about whether or not you should take a #2 before a long ride Could a #2 be beneficial for a ride.. - Bike Forums

(probably someones idea of a joke thread)

But to me, the poor bike has a quality frameset --- but the mixy matchy parts kit and filthy presentation brings the appeal down a bunch --- hence my comparison to a strong piece of toilet bowl ornamentation

Really? At its most basic -- a carwash might be 3 bucks !
Old 07-16-21, 06:10 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
This is one of the best production racing bikes ever made. Team miyatas don't pop often. The bike is dirty but the paint is in good shape. The parts are mainly good quality Shimano 600 but they are not what you'd want to see on a $425 bike. New York City prices are high though. Offer the seller a price you can live with.

I'd value this bike closer to $300 but everyone thinks they're sitting on a bike gold mine since the pandemic pushed up bike prices. Offer $300 and see what happens.

Last edited by bikemig; 07-16-21 at 07:21 AM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-16-21, 07:56 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I'd venture to guess that the seller isn't someone that makes a good first impression. If he doesn't have the simple industry to clean and present something he's selling, then...well, he doesn't deserve premium payment. See where the initial negotiation goes.
Old 07-16-21, 08:35 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
I wouldn't call it a problem, they ride great! and are not over rated one bit.
Old 07-16-21, 03:58 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Referencing a thread in General Discussion about whether or not you should take a #2 before a long ride Could a #2 be beneficial for a ride.. - Bike Forums

(probably someones idea of a joke thread)

But to me, the poor bike has a quality frameset --- but the mixy matchy parts kit and filthy presentation brings the appeal down a bunch --- hence my comparison to a strong piece of toilet bowl ornamentation

Really? At its most basic -- a carwash might be 3 bucks !
lol!
Old 07-16-21, 04:08 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by bikemig
This is one of the best production racing bikes ever made. Team miyatas don't pop often. The bike is dirty but the paint is in good shape. The parts are mainly good quality Shimano 600 but they are not what you'd want to see on a $425 bike. New York City prices are high though. Offer the seller a price you can live with.

I'd value this bike closer to $300 but everyone thinks they're sitting on a bike gold mine since the pandemic pushed up bike prices. Offer $300 and see what happens.
I’ve been thinking the same thing. Dirty - yes. Maybe it’s keeping other buyers away…so could be good.

It’s true the components are a mish mosh. However, at least they’re high/higher end, right? So, do we think a) there is any reason why they wouldn’t function well together? And b) is each component in good condition?

I realize the answer to question b above may need to be determined in person. But I’d definitely appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!
Old 07-16-21, 04:35 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Yes the parts can work well together but no one can answer that question for certain without inspecting the bike.
Old 07-16-21, 04:38 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by bikemig
Yes the parts can work well together but no one can answer that question for certain without inspecting the bike.
Thanks, amigo! That’s all I needed to know. I just contacted the seller. I’ll let you know what happens.
Old 07-18-21, 08:55 AM
no67el

Bikes: How many is too many?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 83 Posts
That's a nice, nice frame, and though the parts are a bit of a mutt's breakfast, they probably ride fine. Plus Team Miyata's don't show up that often. To me this seems like a great deal if it's your size and you intend to ride it. If you can talk the seller down to $300-$350 based on the filthy conditions and weird parts, so much the better.

If this bike was a 58, I'd be in the car driving to NYC already....

N
Old 07-19-21, 05:10 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by no67el
That's a nice, nice frame, and though the parts are a bit of a mutt's breakfast, they probably ride fine. Plus Team Miyata's don't show up that often. To me this seems like a great deal if it's your size and you intend to ride it. If you can talk the seller down to $300-$350 based on the filthy conditions and weird parts, so much the better.

If this bike was a 58, I'd be in the car driving to NYC already....

N
I’m working on it. Trying to arrange a meet up today. Thanks!
Likes For Mdl:
Old 07-19-21, 05:21 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Very nice seller. Bike rides like a sports car. Components all check out. The rims actually match (the dirt masked it in the pics, lol). Nothing original on the bike except the frame, seatpost (maybe?) and paint and decals (which need replacing). I’m going to sleep on it regarding appearance.

Anyone have experience taking a bike to an auto body shop? Any idea what they charge to repaint a bike?
Old 07-19-21, 08:40 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by Mdl
Very nice seller. Bike rides like a sports car. Components all check out. The rims actually match (the dirt masked it in the pics, lol). Nothing original on the bike except the frame, seatpost (maybe?) and paint and decals (which need replacing). I’m going to sleep on it regarding appearance.

Anyone have experience taking a bike to an auto body shop? Any idea what they charge to repaint a bike?

if you give the bike a deep clean, and purchase some tools to service the bottom bracket and headset at minimum, you might be surprised at how much better the bike will look

i know the populace here is fond of these bikes, but its on the cusp,of not being worth it for a re paint unless it was sentimental or something . There are lots of great bikes that fall into this category though - Centurion Ironmans, PDG Paramounts, Cannondales, - lots. Nice bikes all, but you wouldnt spend $600 for a paint job on a $400 bike in most cases

others have remarked that the blue andgold color scheme is an earmark of a Koga Miyata team bike and so might be worth preserving.

But to answer the question better, an auto shop can give heavy handed results. Thick paint that obscures lug details among other things. There are people out there who specialize in bicycle painting and restoration that can do a much better job
Likes For DMC707:
Old 07-20-21, 09:37 AM
Matt060908

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Its filthy. It has a real mixture of components, plus those mismatched wheels.
agreed, that seems high on the price.
Old 07-20-21, 11:19 AM
Mdl
Montedino

if you give the bike a deep clean, and purchase some tools to service the bottom bracket and headset at minimum, you might be surprised at how much better the bike will look

i know the populace here is fond of these bikes, but its on the cusp,of not being worth it for a re paint unless it was sentimental or something . There are lots of great bikes that fall into this category though - Centurion Ironmans, PDG Paramounts, Cannondales, - lots. Nice bikes all, but you wouldnt spend $600 for a paint job on a $400 bike in most cases

others have remarked that the blue andgold color scheme is an earmark of a Koga Miyata team bike and so might be worth preserving.

But to answer the question better, an auto shop can give heavy handed results. Thick paint that obscures lug details among other things. There are people out there who specialize in bicycle painting and restoration that can do a much better job
DMC, thanks. I agree. As my uncle suggested once, regarding a prospective car purchase of mine “you have to love it”.

Anyway, it’s not a bad bike, depending on price and interest. I’ll just keep it in mind for now.

Last edited by Mdl; 07-20-21 at 08:27 PM.