Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Priority 600 (pinion gearbox)

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Priority 600 (pinion gearbox)

Old 07-13-21, 06:16 PM
donoharm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
My experience was that the WTB 650b x 47 Road Plus tires that come with the bike pretty much fill out the fork and fenders. The 45Nrth Gravdal studded 650b x 38mm leaves room to spare.

I noticed that Schwalbe is making a 650b x 2.25 Ice Spiker Pro studded, but that translates to a 57mm wide tire, which (I'm guessing) may have too much volume.

Also noticed that 45Nrth is making a new Kahva 27.5 x 2.1 studded, which translates to 53mm wide, which potentially could fit.

Priority is very helpful, they would probably worth checking with.
That looks like a serious winter tire! I will measure the clearance on my 600 when it arrives and check to see if they will fit.
Old 07-14-21, 04:19 PM
jcl123

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
Greetings jcl123 !

The 600 is a great bike; I think the component compromises made for price-point were very smart.

Pluses:
  1. Pinion shifting
  2. Excellent cruiser - lower the 650b tire pressure and make those Somerville potholes disappear!
  3. Very stable, predictable ride
  4. Bombproof in all weather conditions.
Negatives:
  1. Heavier and more sluggish than it's urban hybrid brethren (=boring)
  2. I did have a few broken spokes before long - replaced them and re-tensioned the wheels; were fine ever-after.
I replaced the 600 with an e-bike, but I still have and ride my BMC Alpenchallenge 01 Alfine 8, now five years old, which has held up remarkably well through many harsh winters, and is still a buttload of fun to ride. Something to note is that the less expensive Alpenchallenge frames (One and Two) are quite different from the 01, which is lighter and more maneuverable. On the other hand, the One and Two both accommodate more conventional fenders, which addresses my biggest knock on the 01 (the extremely tight tire clearances and flimsy Curana fenders). I load up my panniers and broke many spokes on the BMC until I rebuilt the rear wheel with triple-butted Alpine III spokes.
OK, so I started reading your post here, and at first I was worried because I was still on the fence, especially the "boring" part.

But, then reading on I was happy, because I just managed to find a 2021 BMC Alpenchallenge ONE Alfine 8 in the medium size at a bike shop in San Diego, it will be here next week ;-)
I don't know if the 2021 model addresses your issues with the older version you have, here is hoping. But I am super excited to get this bike, and reading your information about it here, I think I made the right decision.

I will probably keep it more or less stock at first, but I do have a wish list, mainly from things I learned on my Gary Fisher commuter bike over 15 or so years.
- A very serious lock and/or GPS tracker
- I still have my titanium handlebars, they were too expensive to sell with the bike (although I will lose the integrated light if I use this I guess)
- Will likely get a more comfortable seat, I usually get big granddaddy seats
- If I have problems with the wheels and potholes, I will get custom wheels made with double-wall rims and more/stronger spokes
- Armadillo or similar kevlar tires
- More comfortable padded grips
- I have been eyeing the Shockstop system made by Redshift, clever seat post and handlebar suspension (again would then lose the other integrated light)
- Spiky BMX-style pedals with extenders for good grip even in winter
- Bike rack / panniers
- Possibly a guard for the belt, I have heard it will eat your pant leg
- I found good theft-resistant lights made by a company in Cambridge, I sold them with the old bike, might get them again
- Maybe a good bike computer that can link to Google Fit

One of the reasons I went with this over the Pinion is future options. If I really love this bike and wear out the IGH, maybe there will be a newer version of the Alfine 11 that is good, or maybe even get a Rohloff hub. Also, when the belt wears out, apparently there is a beefier version that Gates makes that lasts even longer.

-JCL
Old 07-18-21, 08:24 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by jcl123
OK, so I started reading your post here, and at first I was worried because I was still on the fence, especially the "boring" part.

But, then reading on I was happy, because I just managed to find a 2021 BMC Alpenchallenge ONE Alfine 8 in the medium size at a bike shop in San Diego, it will be here next week ;-)
One of the reasons I went with this over the Pinion is future options. If I really love this bike and wear out the IGH, maybe there will be a newer version of the Alfine 11 that is good, or maybe even get a Rohloff hub. Also, when the belt wears out, apparently there is a beefier version that Gates makes that lasts even longer.
-JCL
Nice find, you'll gave great commutes! Looking at the 2021 Alpenchallenge 01 model, I see that the shortcoming of my 2015 have been resolved, while preserving the sporty aspects:
  1. Improved fender option with eyelet mount at the rear hub, yet maintains very compact frame geometry. (my model doesn't have the eyelet)
  2. Same eyelet facilitates rack mount
The Alfine 8 hub has a reputation for more durability that the Alfine 11 (perhaps that is why the 11 is no longer offered); unless your climbing really steep hills, the 8 should work fine.

My experience is that the Gates Center Track belt is indestructible; I love the look and simplicity without a fender, so I simply put a reflective velcro strap on my drive-side pantleg (that is the side that cars need to see anyway).
Old 07-19-21, 01:27 PM
seinberg 

Bikes: Checkpoint SL7, Tarmac SL7, Trek Top Fuel, Trek Farley, Priority 600

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jcl123
Yes, let me know if you are serious about this soon, I could meet you half way or in CT somewhere.
I almost got a BMC Alpenchallenge w/Afine 8 IGH yesterday, but someone beat me to it by like an hour.
I have several bike shops keeping an eye out for me. So right now, I am debating if I should put in a reservation for a new 600 for August, or just say ^%$%! the belt and live with another chain drive so that I at least have a bike at all to ride with the family.

-JCL
I was just signing on to say I'd be up for selling, but sounds like you've found a new Alpenchallenge so maybe I'm too late If anybody else is interested, let me know. We're back and forth between the city and northeast PA this summer, but we could always coordinate while I'm back in the city. I'll take pictures this weekend and post in another thread.

And congrats on the new bike - exciting!
Old 08-25-21, 04:05 PM
Windsore

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am interested in your Priority 600, please message me if it is still available. I am not able to message you because I have not posted the required number of times. A ridiculous rule, that serves what purpose?
Old 11-02-21, 07:33 PM
seinberg 

Bikes: Checkpoint SL7, Tarmac SL7, Trek Top Fuel, Trek Farley, Priority 600

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
FYI, the Priority is still available. Would be willing to let it go for $1800, which is a pretty hefty discount (and the bike is very low mileage). Ping me if interested. Trying to tame the steed of bikes a bit and sell off the ones I don't ride much
Old 02-09-22, 06:10 PM
Magnum PI

Bikes: Landshark, Kestrel Ironman, Giant Defy, Redline 925er, Orbea team Euskatel, AMP B2, Landshark e-Tandem, and, well you get the idea.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 17 Posts
2 year update. Bike is still solid. 1 crash in the rain, Rider fault, going too fast in a turn in the pouring rain. Should have deflated the tires a bit as well. Bike still feels sluggish and I attribute that to the heavy wheelset. Not sure if a lighter frameset would help as much as a lighter and more responsive wheelset., perhaps lighter tires as well. Anyways, I would rate the bike3.5 stars which is good, but could be better, but also costlier. The Pinion transmission is terrific, but maybe it feels sluggish because of the gates carbon belt which must absorb some energy in the transmission of power to the rear wheel. Who knows.
Old 02-10-22, 12:08 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Anyone purchase the 600x mountain bike?
Old 02-22-22, 05:47 PM
hevysrf

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Anyone purchase the 600x mountain bike?

Should have it by 3/1, lightly used Ebay special.
We'll see.
Old 02-23-22, 08:53 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by hevysrf
Should have it by 3/1, lightly used Ebay special.
We'll see.
I have somewhat of an interest in this. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 08-14-22, 09:27 AM
lettucebuns

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seinberg
FYI, the Priority is still available. Would be willing to let it go for $1800, which is a pretty hefty discount (and the bike is very low mileage). Ping me if interested. Trying to tame the steed of bikes a bit and sell off the ones I don't ride much
I'm 10 months late but if you're still selling I'm interested!