Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to know when a cassette needs to be replaced.... I got a sign.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How to know when a cassette needs to be replaced.... I got a sign.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-21, 12:02 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
A worn chainring with a new chain won’t skip, but it will cause “chain suck”, where the chain won’t disengage at the bottom of the ring. Chain suck usually happens when shifting. It can cause a mess, as it may pull off the rear derailleur, wrecking the derailleur hanger.
Or damage the chainstay.
Old 07-28-21, 12:23 PM
jrobe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I probably have 30,000-40,000 miles on my cassette and it is as quiet as when it was new and still shifts perfect. I am very careful about lubing my chain and drivetrain and replacing chains exactly when needed. I ride almost exclusively rolling hills and am shifting constantly using all of my 10 gears probably as equally as would be possible. It is possible that I have only 3000-5000 miles on any single rear cassette gear ring whereas someone else riding exclusively on flats may have the vast majority of their miles on just 1 or 2 of the gears. I can't think of a good reason to replace the cassette if it is very quiet and shifts perfect.
Old 07-28-21, 03:30 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
A worn chainring with a new chain won’t skip, but it will cause “chain suck”, where the chain won’t disengage at the bottom of the ring. Chain suck usually happens when shifting. It can cause a mess, as it may pull off the rear derailleur, wrecking the derailleur hanger.
I have absolutely had a worn chainring cause a chain to skip. Brand new chain, chain skipped, replaced small chainring and it was fine.
Old 07-28-21, 04:44 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3410 Post(s)
Liked 3,540 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I have absolutely had a worn chainring cause a chain to skip. Brand new chain, chain skipped, replaced small chainring and it was fine.
I'm having trouble seeing how a worn chainring could skip under load, unless the chainring is quite small.

Maybe it was an auto-shift off the ring. A worn chainring might cause that.

Old 07-28-21, 04:46 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
I'm having trouble seeing how a worn chainring could skip under load, unless the chainring is quite small.

Maybe it was an auto-shift off the ring. A worn chainring might cause that.
Nope. Straight up replacement of the small chainring (34T) stopped the skip. Skip started immediately after replacement of the chain to a new DA 11s chain. Nothing else was changed and no further skipping over the next several thousand miles. All of that is still working just fine on the bike. Certain that was the cause and replacement was the solution.