Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Blind left eye

Old 07-24-21, 02:46 AM
ilovehelmets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Blind left eye

Of all disabilities this one is quite manageable for the most part. The main difficulty i have is looking over my left shoulder, especially when the bridge of my cycling glasses are in the way…

anyone have good solutions or any general advice?
Old 07-31-21, 11:08 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 165 Posts
"10Wheels" posted a picture of his method using mirrored sunglasses lenses fixed to the back of his cycle gloves. It works. I use that method now. Do remember this, if you cannot get a good feeling of the space behind you, ya better stop and take the time to turn and look around. There could be something really bad on your six...
Old 07-31-21, 12:39 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8504 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 962 Posts
I use Varia radar but I have also used a wrist mirror, too. The wrist mirror works well. I make mine from a cheap bar end mirror. I pop the mirror out of the holder and put Velcro on the back which I then attach to any kind of wrist strap.

With the radar, I still stop if there is even a smidgen of doubt before turning left.

Where there is a will, there's a way. Where there is no will, there's an excuse.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 07-31-21, 10:16 PM
Ray9

Bikes: Cannondale six-13

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 17 Posts
I have a condition called amblyopia. Oddly, peripheral vision is as good as the right eye but central vision is canceled by the brain to prevent double vision. Depth perception is an issue but the brain is remarkable and half-sighted people usually can compensate quite nicely. I mount a mirror on my left handlebar and angle it so my good eye can use it. The wrist mirror with Velcro is interesting; I may try that.

Amblyopia - Wikipedia
Old 08-07-21, 12:27 AM
ilovehelmets

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great suggestions all. Ended up getting a drop bar mirror and really love it.
Likes For ilovehelmets:
Old 09-22-21, 05:09 PM
EmoryJoseph

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I’m Emory I’m new to the forum. I have very little peripheral vision. I glad there are others like me that want to ride. I want to purchase an ebike,some family members dont want to I like adventures and independence.